1994 FA Cup Final

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

As it's FA Cup day, I've been looking at past FA cup finals and campaigns of ours. I came across this video on Youtube:

I was only 1 and a half at the time, but it looks as if we were mauled that day. What's more interesting to me though, is I love seeing our old team sheets (sad, I know). Anyway I found ours for that game via wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FA_Cup_Final). Comparing it to United's, it was easy to see why we were hammered that day and I suppose we did well to get to the final considering a poor 14th place in the league that year. It's also worth noting a lot of our team that day went on to play a fair few games for us!

Anyone go that day? Any memories?

(Also, what a shocking decision by Elleray for Cantona's 2nd pen!)

Edited by NorthernCFC

A few memories:

1. we were not mauled that day. The first half we were the better side and Peacock hit the bar.

2. Elleray robbed us and he knew it (read his autobiog - he knew he'd got it wrong instantly but says 'I couldn't go back on the decision after giving the pen'. Er yes, you could have)

3. We beat them home and away that season

4. That was the start of the current era that continues to this day. Hoddle was a key figure in our recent history.

A few memories:

1. we were not mauled that day. The first half we were the better side and Peacock hit the bar.

2. Elleray robbed us and he knew it (read his autobiog - he knew he'd got it wrong instantly but says 'I couldn't go back on the decision after giving the pen'. Er yes, you could have)

3. We beat them home and away that season

4. That was the start of the current era that continues to this day. Hoddle was a key figure in our recent history.

I was there. One of my most painful memories of watching Chelsea (if not the most painful) and the only time i have shed a tear at a match. The support that day was wonderful, also in the semi v Luton as well.

I can still hear that ball crack of the cross bar! (notice that isnt shown in the video!) Always have mainted the result may have been different if that had gone in. It also has to be said it was a crazy challenge by Newton for that first pen. The second one was a joke.

I also still think my jeans are still soaked from the walk back down Wembley way.

I still however think Hoddle shouldve started himself.

Edited by bjd

for me still the most devastating experience as a chelsea fan...it was so unjust...united were outplayed until newton gifted them a pen and then we fell apart for a crazy nine minute spell (no thanks to elleray)...even then we came back and had all the chances before united scored on the break when we were just giving it our all to get at least a consolation...we had a corner in injury time and all but one of our players was in their box...also remember chelsea fans outsinging united all game, even when they went up to get the trophy...spencer was so gutted afterwards he thought about quitting the game!...losing was undeserved enough, let alone by that margin...i barely spoke a word to anyone for a couple of days!!

thing is you realise afterwards, no-one else remembers the game, just the result...still get in arguements with non-chelsea fans about this game...they always say, you were rubbish, ripped apart,thrashed 4-0...sigh...

It was very , very wet !!!

I have never seen so many Man Utd fans in one place they took over Wembley that day. The ones in our seats got a fair of few slaps

Not sure if anyone can find any pictures but under each seat we all had placards that turned into a Pride Of London CFC flag when raised before kick off . Would love to see what it looked like .

It was very , very wet !!!

I have never seen so many Man Utd fans in one place they took over Wembley that day. The ones in our seats got a fair of few slaps

Not sure if anyone can find any pictures but under each seat we all had placards that turned into a Pride Of London CFC flag when raised before kick off . Would love to see what it looked like .

I think I have a pic somewhere. I'll check when I get home.

......and you could get a ticket just for being a club member !!!!!!

Oh yes. That was part of the deal. 'Guaranteed tickets when we play at Wembley'. That and Bridge News!

Anyway here is the pic. To this day still the only pic of the cards at Wembley i have ever seen.

adf6o3.jpg

I got it from this website. http://www.theleftback.co.uk/ Well worth a good look, there are some fantastic pics/scans on there.

i am not sure when it stopped but i have got some issues of ON Side from 2003 i think that was the follow up from bridge news . it must have stopped when we started winning things....should i read something into that????

the fa cup final 94 was the first we could sing "chelsea are back" and have a feeling we all really knew that we were not kidding ourselfs...

I really enjoyed my day despite the result, I was just happy to be in a major final... didnt think Cantona was anything special but the media did for weeks after !!!

My over-riding memory and I would love to find a clip of it.. I threw a stick of celery at Steve Bruce as he came out the tunnel... It must have been a good 30 yards and the thing just flew.. it was one of those freak moments ... got him direct in the ear ! .... and the crowd around me went mental, funny ! .. it kind of got my match day off to a good start.

Conclude with what most said, we were all over them in the first half , particulalry Peacock who was having the season of his career.

I think most who went despite the result and weather had made the most of the day and actually enjoyed it, I have to say I had eactly the same feeling coming out of the Stadium in Moscow.. gutted about the result but still pinching myself that we were rubbing shoulders and were playing better than the so called "biggest club" in the world

I had no chance of going as I had to work. The late 80's to mid 90's were a sparse time for me for attending matches being a newly wed with a new family under my wing and working every weekend too (I only managed two or three games a season during this period). I was stuck with having to try and watch the game on a small TV at work where the reception was absolutely crap and the commentary could hardly be heard. Didn't help that one of my workmates was goading me as the goals went in. I have never watched any highlights of the game since nor will I ever do so (same goes for the Champions League final). The pain of losing a final is always too much to bear for me.

I have actually got the programme of that final in 1994. I was only nine years old at the time and think that either my aunt, step-grandad or my sister went. I am not sure. As for the final itself I agree with most of the comments on here that 4-0 was not a fair reflction of the game itself. However we did get our FA Cup final revenge on Man United, by winning the first FA Cup final at the new Wembley.

Loved that cup run till the final. It just seemed that everything about the day went wrong. For the semi we'd been drinking in the pub at the top of Wemberly Way, excellent banter between the two sets of fans and far more Chelsea than Luton, because it was so good there for the semi we headed there for the final. It was almost entirely red, still a decent bit of banter but the police were well on edge and there was a very aggresive feel to the whole thing - nothing happened then though.

The game we all know about, we done really well but the record books will always say 4-0. The Chelsea fans inside the ground were incredible, it was all you could hear and even people in the utd end have said that to me since. The walk back to the station after the ground took forever and we got absolutely soaked, there's was loads of trouble as well, though how anyone managed to swing a punch when we were that crowded I don't know.

Then there was the press for the next few weeks after, telling the world how they tore us apart.

It did set us on our way though to where we are now so it wasn't all bad????

A mate of mine that supports manu and got tickets for the game got seriously beaten on his way home, he was gloating as he got on a train, goading a group of Chelsea fans waiting at the station, didn't realise there was another few Chelsea on the same train as him!

Loved that cup run till the final. It just seemed that everything about the day went wrong. For the semi we'd been drinking in the pub at the top of Wemberly Way, excellent banter between the two sets of fans and far more Chelsea than Luton, because it was so good there for the semi we headed there for the final. It was almost entirely red, still a decent bit of banter but the police were well on edge and there was a very aggresive feel to the whole thing - nothing happened then though.

The game we all know about, we done really well but the record books will always say 4-0. The Chelsea fans inside the ground were incredible, it was all you could hear and even people in the utd end have said that to me since. The walk back to the station after the ground took forever and we got absolutely soaked, there's was loads of trouble as well, though how anyone managed to swing a punch when we were that crowded I don't know.

Then there was the press for the next few weeks after, telling the world how they tore us apart.

It did set us on our way though to where we are now so it wasn't all bad????

A mate of mine that supports manu and got tickets for the game got seriously beaten on his way home, he was gloating as he got on a train, goading a group of Chelsea fans waiting at the station, didn't realise there was another few Chelsea on the same train as him!

Its funny, i dont remember Wembley being all red at all (thats two of you who have said it). Man Utd certainly seemed to have a larger allocation no doubt but i dont recall seeing any Utd fans in the Chelsea end and i dont recall the atmosphere being too bad at all.

Totally agree about the Cup run itself. That was when the song 'The Blue Flag' first came to prominence. I was lucky enough to go to all of the games apart from the Barnet game. Sheff Wed away was a magical night, a totally unexpected win (Wednesday were on a different level to us back then) Oxford away was cracking too, in the worst away end there ever was. And then there was the Wolves quarter final

on that windy day with the first unveliing of the blue flag (lots of pics of that) and the pitch invasion. Thats right, a pitch invasion because we reached a semi final! Hows things change, can anyone name the last season we didnt reach a semi ?!

The semi itself as you say was magic. For once in a big game we really played well and didnt buckle. Peacock got the goals but it was Cascarino who actually played really well that day. What i recall most of all was despite us reaching our first proper final in two decades the chelsea fans still en masse managed to salue Kerry who seemed visibly touched.

The drinking at the Globe on Baker Street afterwards is one of my fondest memories of being a Chelsea fan, it was total magic.

Edited by bjd

• 5 months later...

I was very young when I watched the 94 cup final and was more interested in playing football than watching it tbh, I didn't really get into watching football until 1995 but I did still watch games before that. All I can remember about this game is Hoddle lacing his boots up and getting beat 4-0.