Chelsea v Liverpool (PL) 6/2/2011 KO 16:00 GMT

Andreas
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

I just had to create this topic now as im so excited for several reasons.

With Anelkas performance in the centre against Sunderland I would just love to see him in the same role with Torres and hopefully on a better mood Drogba.

Mikel should not start this one after his dreadful game today, Ramires is a given choice other then that pretty much the same line-up.

----------Cech---------

-Boss-Ivan-JT-Cole-

--------Essien---------

-Ramires--Lampard-

-------Anelka--------

-Torres----Drogba-

With Anelkas performance in the centre against Sunderland I would just love to see him in the same role with Torres and hopefully on a better mood Drogba.

Definitely! How immense a strike force is that. Nico can definitely hold that area, and if Malouda is starting, Nico should play more on the right.

Saying that, I don't think Torres should play the full game Sunday. Any other team, I'm all for it, but there could be one or two angry Liverpool players.

I wonder if they are going to bring their 'istory' with them!

Yes please. Essien at the base of the diamond. Worth putting Malouda on the left of the diamond, Ramires on the right, dropping Lamps to the bench?

How do you drop Lampard? He brings intelligence and creativity to our midfield. He was very good today besides not finishing some shots.

Something like this?

--------------Cech------------

-Ivan----Luiz----JT----Cole-

------------Essien------------

----Ramires---Lampard----

-----------Anelka------------

-----Torres----Drogba-----

If Drogba isn't having a good match, sub him for Kalou in the 60th min or so?

And it could float to a flat 4-3-3 with Lamps in the middle and Anelka floating to right striker with Torres in the center...

Edited by Arq

How do you drop Lampard? He brings intelligence and creativity to our midfield. He was very good today besides not finishing some shots.

I'm just remembering from last season when Lamps didn't appreciate the diamond at all, it didn't suit him one bit. I know he's Super Frank, but Malouda could give more creativity, skill and speed to the midfield.

Very nice, except where's Luiz?

JT and Luiz in the middle and Ivan on the right.

woah.. hang on, he's never played in the prem before. luiz on the bench please, he can come on later if he likes, but Ivan earned that place and deserves the start.

I'd like to see Torres play and score, but I don't think he should start. Anelka is undroppable after the performance against Sunderland, 3 strikers will not give us the width we need, and I don't want to see Drogba ousted at the first possible opportunity.

As tempting as playing Torres and Drogs together may be, 442 with Drog and Torres up front isn't an option for me- either player would be wasted on the flanks. Also we'd end up playing Essien on the right. He is not really a right mid, and is not really in form.

In my opinion we have to stick with the 433:

-------------cech------------

Boss----Ivan----JT----Ash-

-Lamps----Essien---Ramires

Anelka--------------Malouda

------------Drog-------------

Bench: Turnbull, Luiz, McEachran, Kalou, Torres

Luiz to get a run out at RB, or CB in the unlikely event of Ivan or JT having a mare, and Torres to come on for the weakest of the front 3.

Im dont fancy Luiz starting either. New league and straight against scousers wouldn´t be that easy considering he is a central defender who has a lot of resposibility. Let him settle a bit (maybe couple of games/weeks) and then we should start to throw him in against the lesser sides. Would be horrible and confidence breaking start for his Chelsea career to make a big mistake in his debut. About Torres. I would see him starting but wouldnt mind coming as a sub. Today´s team really worked (apart from Mikel) and doesnt need to be changed. Maybe Malouda for Kalou as well but as I thought Sala did pretty well today, I wouldnt mind seeing him again on the pitch come Sunday.

Edited by disillusion

Cech

Bosingwa - Ivan - JT - Cole

Ramires - Mikel - Lampard

Anelka

Drogba - Torres

I would not start Luiz. From what I've heard he hardly speak english and I doubt he'll have learned how our defensive works before this game. Better to keep Ivan as CB and Boss as RB. If possible, then bring Luiz on later in the game - either to replace Ivan or else to replace Boss and Ivan can move out to RB.

Essien hasn't played well since he returned from his injury and we don't need a liability on the pitch against Liverpool. Mikel hasn't been himself recently either, but I think he'll be better against this opponent.

Would like to get Malouda in the starting eleven, but there's no room for him.

On the other hand, it might be nice to have him and Kalou on the bench if we need something new later in the game.

Must say that our bench is starting to look good with - based on my line-up - Essien, Kalou, Luiz, Ferreira and Malouda there. And if we get the injured players back (which should be soon) we will have Benayoun, Alex and Zhirkov there as well. Not too shabby :)

woah.. hang on, he's never played in the prem before. luiz on the bench please, he can come on later if he likes, but Ivan earned that place and deserves the start.

I'd like to see Torres play and score, but I don't think he should start. Anelka is undroppable after the performance against Sunderland, 3 strikers will not give us the width we need, and I don't want to see Drogba ousted at the first possible opportunity.

As tempting as playing Torres and Drogs together may be, 442 with Drog and Torres up front isn't an option for me- either player would be wasted on the flanks. Also we'd end up playing Essien on the right. He is not really a right mid, and is not really in form.

In my opinion we have to stick with the 433:

-------------cech------------

Boss----Ivan----JT----Ash-

-Lamps----Essien---Ramires

Anelka--------------Malouda

------------Drog-------------

Bench: Turnbull, Luiz, McEachran, Kalou, Torres

Luiz to get a run out at RB, or CB in the unlikely event of Ivan or JT having a mare, and Torres to come on for the weakest of the front 3.

Thank you for some sense sleepy. First of all Luiz is a left sided centre half and Ivan plays as right centre half. Secondly he doesn't speak great English. Thirdly he will have been training with the club for 3 days.

Now to me putting in a brand new centre half, who doesn't speak the language brilliantly, who hasn't adapated to the team and who is being asked to play on his wrong side is a disaster waiting to happen. Particularly against a team that will be really fired up to prove a point to a former player for saying we were on another level to them.

We played the best football we've played in months tonight, and the team on Sunday should be exactly the same as the one tonight, barring perhaps Ramires coming in for Mikel.

Some proper muppets on here. Same team as the one against Sunderland please.

Torres etc off the bench if we're struggling for a goal.

EDIT: People claiming Mikel should be benched have lost it. Bar the poor defending for Bardsley screamer he had a solid game. No other midfielder in the team is as good as recycling possession and speeding up our play than him. We're also going to need his height to properly defend against the Dippers long balls up to Carroll.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise our best away performances this season have all come with him in the team.

Edited by Gilvorak

Some proper muppets on here. Same team as the one against Sunderland please.

Torres etc off the bench if we're struggling for a goal.

EDIT: People claiming Mikel should be benched have lost it. Bar the poor defending for Bardsley screamer he had a solid game. No other midfielder in the team is as good as recycling possession and speeding up our play than him. We're also going to need his height to properly defend against the Dippers long balls up to Carroll.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise our best away performances this season have all come with him in the team.

It was certainly a good performance away Gilvorak, and Mikel was quite decent on the ball. Some of his defending at times was dire though, and on top of that I personally think Ramires was very hard done by not to start today. Also Essien is a better fit in the holding role against Liverpool given how well he has handled Gerrard in the past and the fact that Carroll is still injured and won't be playing.

At this point, I really feel that Ramires is better attacker than Essien. Yes we all love the Essien Screamer from 25 yards put but how often does that really happen? Essien is better in the holding role, it so is Mikel. It is a benefit to have those three that can rotate, bit all three can't play at the same time so someone will have to start on the bench.

People should remember Luiz was NOT having his best year in Portugal this season.....I think, with that in consideration, it would be a mistake to throw him in the middle of what now is likely to be the, or one of, most combustible matches of the season. I would much rather him start vs Fulham, get in a good few session in training and not force him into what will definately be a "derby-esque" fixture that could well set the momentum for the rest of the season. Lets get him familiar with his teammates and build up his confidence before we put him in a position where it can be shattered.

Lets keep the Sunderland line up with Ramirez brought in. Torres can substitute in the 2nd half, if anyone should be dropped for Torres its Drogba, Kalou and Anelka have both merrited this start......and we're not goinna do that to Drogba quite yet are we? Of course not!

Same team as last night please. Torres to be given 30 mins of the second half. Luiz to play some part in the next game against Fulham.

Carlo would be mental to try a new CB pairing against Liverpool with Luiz only having been in the country a couple of days!

Carjacker and ''dirty-greasy-head'' Carroll are both out on Sunday for the rat-munchers.

We have to face facts, predicting the team each game is no longer as straight forward as it has been. We have 4 quality strikers to keep happy, then we have Ivanovic who has probably been our most reliable player all season, can we keep shoehorning him into the team ? If we stick with 4-3-3 then we only have 3 places to share between the 8 players Lampard, Essien, Mikel, Ramires, Malouda, Benayoun, Zhirkov and McEachran. Thats some task rotating that lot, good luck Carlo.

Heres my effort for the game against the dippers.

--------------------------Cech--------------------------

Bossy-----------Ivan----------Terry-----------Cole

---------------------------Mikel--------------------------

-------------Essien----------------Lampard----------

--------------------------Anelka-----------------------

--------------Torres--------------Drogba-----------

Edited by coco

Liverpool are gonna come out the traps from the start in this game, we really need to start well. I'm well nervous about this game.

According to the Guardian

Liverpool tried and failed to get a gentleman's agreement included in the contract of Torres stating that the Spaniard would not play against them on Sunday when the Reds visit Stamford Bridge.

So I was almost right, they tried :D

Edited by Bobbywoodhogan

Ancelotti added that he had no qualms about playing Torres alongside either Nicolas Anelka, who scored in the win against Sunderland, and Didier Drogba.

"I know very well that he is not a goalkeeper, he is not a defender, he is not a midfielder - he is a striker and he will play as a striker," Italian Ancelotti continued.

"He doesn't have a problem to play with Drogba or with another striker. Maybe we will have to play with two strikers together, but that's not a problem. It doesn't change a lot.

"Maybe with a diamond in midfield, our shape doesn't change too much."

I knew this fated day would come, and now it's here I'm not as fearful as I would have imagined. Glen Johnson and Kuyt? Maybe stick Malouda in as the left-sided carillero to help with that? I guess we'll probably see this:

-----------------------Cech

Bos------Ivanovic----------JT------A Cole

----------------------Essien

------------Lampard-------Malouda

----------------------Anelka

------------Drogba---------Torres

Let's just hope to God it works. If any of the top-level European forces have the squad to work a diamond, I guess it's us (or perhaps Real Madrid).

Edited by PloKoon13

I knew this fated day would come, and now it's here I'm not as fearful as I would have imagined. Glen Johnson and Kuyt? Maybe stick Malouda in as the left-sided carillero to help with that? I guess we'll probably see this:

-----------------------Cech

Bos------Ivanovic----------JT------A Cole

----------------------Essien

------------Lampard-------Malouda

----------------------Anelka

------------Drogba---------Torres

Let's just hope to God it works. If any of the top-level European forces have the squad to work a diamond, I guess it's us (or perhaps Real Madrid).

I certainly hope so. If it works it's the best use of our resources (apart from Malouda- Ramires' recent form guarantees him a start imo), but I fear we'll lack width. I still think 3 forwards with at least one winger/forward such as Malouda is more sensible.

In any other game I would say go with the above formation, however our confidence is fragile, and failure of the Drog/Torres partnership in such a big game could have a negative impact on the team's confidence.