If summer clearout happens?

BrewCrew

There have been many rumours about many different players that will be leaving in the summer. Some of the names are Drogba, Anelka, Malouda, Yossi, Paulo, Mikel, and Kalou. If something like this does happen, and we ship out around 4 big players, what would your feelings be? Personally, I would be really excited in the end. Yes, I would be very sad to see players like Drogba, Mikel, and Anelka go. They have been huge parts of this team and can still be very very effective if on form, but the possibility of bringing in some young, established talent excites me. It could be the "new Chelsea" next year with players like Neymar, Hazard, Van Der Wiel, or Lukaku coming in and joining Torres, Ramires, Luiz, Kakuta, and Sturridge. I think this offseason is going to be crucial for the future of the team with so many players getting older. If Roman is encouraged to spend then it could be an offseason that sets the tone for the team for years to come.

There have been many rumours about many different players that will be leaving in the summer. Some of the names are Drogba, Anelka, Malouda, Yossi, Paulo, Mikel, and Kalou. If something like this does happen, and we ship out around 4 big players, what would your feelings be? Personally, I would be really excited in the end. Yes, I would be very sad to see players like Drogba, Mikel, and Anelka go. They have been huge parts of this team and can still be very very effective if on form, but the possibility of bringing in some young, established talent excites me. It could be the "new Chelsea" next year with players like Neymar, Hazard, Van Der Wiel, or Lukaku coming in and joining Torres, Ramires, Luiz, Kakuta, and Sturridge. I think this offseason is going to be crucial for the future of the team with so many players getting older. If Roman is encouraged to spend then it could be an offseason that sets the tone for the team for years to come.

Mikel is 23....

I will look forward to new signings but will also feel gutted to see some of the best players we have ever had leave, if indeed they do leave. Seeing the likes of Drogba, Anelka, Malouda etc leave without winning the CL will be a massive disappointment and I will be gutted they never won it.

Mikel is 23....

I know he is only 23, but he is just one of the names that has been rumoured. I personally feel he should stay if he want to stick with the holding mid. Though Josh is sitting there waiting. Josh has already said he is uncomfortable playing the wider midfield spots. He is at his best in the holding role or at the tip of a diamond where he can create.

I think a lot of it depends on what's going on inside Roman's head. Is he ready to continue spending? Even if we don't make the CL? Perhaps he's thinking by shedding some massive wage-earners that'll free up some cash to bring in some other players.

Either way we're definitely at another crossroads, with some big changes coming. But with McEachran, Ramires, Sturridge and Luiz the futures looking alright.

A new look Chelsea does seem exciting, but it was always bound to happen. Teams on top go through change like that many times over and keep re-inventing themselves. I was expecting something of a clear out and will be looking foward to who they bring in.

If they do sell up on some big names, will they only spend what they bring in? Probably not, but with the new FIFA rule, I was just wondering.

Plus, I feel they need to hold on to Mikel and others if they are going with so many youth.

Edited by jmcfall

With Torres here now, surely one of Drogba or Anelka will go. Roman will probably want to lower the wage bill. If they feel that Sturridge is going to come back and contribute, then Kalou or another striker could go. Also, if they feel Josh and Kakuta can play bigger roles then somebody like Malouda could go.

I will look forward to new signings but will also feel gutted to see some of the best players we have ever had leave, if indeed they do leave. Seeing the likes of Drogba, Anelka, Malouda etc leave without winning the CL will be a massive disappointment and I will be gutted they never won it.

I'm gutted we haven't won the CL full stop - I'm really not so gutted for certain players who can never love the club the way us supporters have done.

And it's ironic you mention Drogba and Anelka. If Drogba had managed to stay on the pitch THAT night and had Anelka tucked away his penalty........

I'm gutted we haven't won the CL full stop - I'm really not so gutted for certain players who can never love the club the way us supporters have done.

And it's ironic you mention Drogba and Anelka. If Drogba had managed to stay on the pitch THAT night and had Anelka tucked away his penalty........

Fantastic Point!! I was just thinking the same thing after Everton. Anelka showing his true abilities...should had JT take it for him this time too!

Don't want to add too much, but great point Nibs...

Fair point, but a bot harsh on Drogba especially who had played a massive part in getting us to that final in the first place.

I'd like to see the following players shipped out in the summer:

Hilario

Turnbull

Ferreira

Benayoun

Zhirkov

Drogba

Anelka

Malouda

Kalou

With:

1 Keeper

1 RB

2 or 3 Wingers

1 CM

1 Striker

Brought in.

So that our squad could look something like:

Cech, GK2, Walker

Cole, Van Aanholt

Terry, Alex

Luiz, Bruma/Ivanovic

Ivanovic/Bosingwa, RB

Mikel, Essien

Ramires, McEachran

Lampard, CM

LW, Kakuta

RW, RW

Torres, Sturridge, ST

Eg:

GK2: ???

RB: Coleman (Everton)

CM:

LW: Hazard

RW: De Bruyne

RW: ???

ST: Lakuku

Edited by BlueSkies

Would be harsh to ship benayoun out, especially sinces he hasnt really got a chance.

Think one reason why torres came here as well was that him and benayoun are sort of best mates off the pitch.

I dont think that had anything to do with Torres' move.

I would be pretty excited. We could address some real problems in the squad such as the lack of width and significantly improve the central-midfield area. Also a right-back would be a great addition.

Players I wouldn't mind seeing leave:

Ferreira

Zhirkov

Kalou

Anelka

Essien? I know this one is a bit controversial but he has not looked the played he once was for a long time. His biggest asset was his athleticism and he has lost a lot of speed, dynamism and power having torn ligaments in both knees in consecuitive years. Most players struggle to ever recover properly from one serious knee injury but two bad knees? That really is a worry.

Older players who should have squad roles:

Lampard

Drogba

Edited by Epic

I would welcome a clearout. Drogba, Malouda, Ferriera and Kalou need to be moved on.

Essien as you say, Epic, is a controversial one but if Ramires continues his development and Josh is integrated full time into the squad I think he should be moved on as well.

We're pretty good in defense so there is no need to buy anyone there. With the introduction of PVA and Bruma full time I guess we're pretty much covered in all areas.

In attack with arrival of Torres we can rely him to be the main front man for a few years. Anelka could be his back up and Sturridge should be able to claim a bigger role in the team next season.

Midfield is the real conundrum. If we play 4-3-3 then we are good in the central area with Mikel, Lampard, Josh, Ramires and in some cases Luiz all capable of playing in the midfield three. What we would need is wide forwards like we had in early Jose era, Duff and Robben. Serious strengthening is required in this area but if Kakuta can come back and claim a place as a wide forward then the situation is a bit alleviated. I dont see him being a regular though, so there is a need to buy someone there.

At the max we would need to buy 3-4 players of varying experience and impact on the first team from the word go. A good mix of fresh recruits, with the youth coming through and some experienced heads is the way forward.

At the max we would need to buy 3-4 players of varying experience and impact on the first team from the word go. A good mix of fresh recruits, with the youth coming through and some experienced heads is the way forward.

I agree, we really need to add more players aged 20-25 as we're pretty low on them. Those good enough to play now and also have the scope for improvement in ability.

You mentioned Robben a player in his mold would be a god-send. We need wide players who stretch the game as we rely too much on our fullbacks for that width.

Edited by Epic

Cech(28), Ivan(26), Luiz(23), Ramirez(23), Mikel(23), Zhirkov(27), McEachran(17), Kalou(25), Sturridge(21), Turnbull(26), Torres(26), Borini(19), Kakuta(19)

Thats a team you can fill out for the next 5 seasons or so. The following players fill the gap for the next season or more for dome of them.

Lampard, Essien, Malouda,Terry, Cole, Alex, Bosingwa, Benayoun(we just payed for him, he's barely played but did well when he could...why sell already?)

The following players I would get rid of this summer. Could get atleast 25-30mil for the lot I imagine, Drogba and his marketing value included.

Drogba(unless he and Torres really click), Anelka, Ferreira, Hilario

Bring in or promote, within the next few seasons:

CAM, CM(Box2Box), RW, LB, RB, CB, ST

This summer I'd splurge any transfer fees received/Roman cash on: Muller/Schweinsteiger/Gervinho/Vidal.

If we got them all by some miracle, we'd have to off load Malouda and Drogba 100%

That should also end any "player power" behind the scenes. A lot of new/young blood, some of the old power brokers gone the other near the end of their careers and competeing aginst younger players to keep their spots.

Do people really want to get rid of Essien?

I'm quite shocked people would even consider it, fair enough he's not been playing that wel this season but he's hardly passed it, and for people who think torres will turn out ok, then surely they must be behind essien finding his form again!

Out: hilario, ferreira, bosingwa, zhirkov, anelka, drogba(maybe)

in, van der wiel, hamsik, pastore, hazard, aguero( depending on drogba.

I'm quite shocked people would even consider it, fair enough he's not been playing that wel this season but he's hardly passed it, and for people who think torres will turn out ok, then surely they must be behind essien finding his form again!

Out: hilario, ferreira, bosingwa, zhirkov, anelka, drogba(maybe)

in, van der wiel, hamsik, pastore, hazard, aguero( depending on drogba.

What video game are you playing. Those players you listed would cost around 120 million. Probably more.

Phew, I was about to post the same thing. Ridiculous.

And in the same sentence 'We lack width' and Zhirkov and Kalou should be sold off.

There's a difference between having wide players, and having good wide players.