What matters most

alan'82

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most important to you

• Winning trophies is all that matters
    • I care more about how we play

A question I would like to ask all on this forum is what matters the most to you,as a Chelsea supporter?.Is winning the only thing you care about or does the style of the football we play matter more?.

In this modern world of football where clubs need to court the big sponsers to raise cash, then its only to be expected that they will demand success for their investment and soon.But this brings additional pressures to all involved within the playing side of the club.I guess like many other supporters I have grown to like all the trophies arriving at the Bridge,something that wasn't always the case by any means,but,at what cost?.

Hopefully we will soon see more of the skills of Josh McEachren on the pitch at Chelsea,but does the requirements of the modern game mean his individual flair will be coached out of him?.

I can't in all honesty see maverick players like Lionel Messi or our own Ossie would fit in the modern Chelsea team,for nowdays the work effort required,the need to defend set pieces etc in our league would leave both knacked,(or injuried) after 60 mins.

For me,in the real world I would pick success,but you watch football with your heart don't you?,so, with that in mind,success yes, but there must always be room allowed for the true entertainer don't you think?.

Success can only be measured in one way, and that's a club's trophy cabinet. No other way.

You don't look through the almanacs of sport history and find any chapters about "but they played pretty football." This is something Arsenal need to take into account. Playing the "beautiful game" better than anyone else in the league has done nothing for them for seasons now. I guarantee they'd go back to the 1-0 to the Arsenal days if it meant trophies.

Scott

Firstly, your missing a point with Messi as he is as hard working as any player we have or will have. My first choice would always be to win with style, after that I only want a win no matter how. Also, as much as I enjoy seeing players using skills during a game I see nothing wrong in enjoying players like Drogba who bring power and strength to a game, or a player like Ramires who brings industry coupled with some skill. Or even a player like Ash Cole who has an incredible amount of stamina and gets up and down the pitch an amazing amount during a game.

Firstly, your missing a point with Messi as he is as hard working as any player we have or will have. My first choice would always be to win with style, after that I only want a win no matter how. Also, as much as I enjoy seeing players using skills during a game I see nothing wrong in enjoying players like Drogba who bring power and strength to a game, or a player like Ramires who brings industry coupled with some skill. Or even a player like Ash Cole who has an incredible amount of stamina and gets up and down the pitch an amazing amount during a game.

Messi is a worldclass, hardworking player that's for sure,but I'd like to see how he would fancy Stoke away on a rainy night in november.But with all the players you remember most,isn't it the ones who showed breathtaking skills that you remember most?.

Messi is a worldclass, hardworking player that's for sure,but I'd like to see how he would fancy Stoke away on a rainy night in november.But with all the players you remember most,isn't it the ones who showed breathtaking skills that you remember most?.

Not me matey, Ive been a defender most of my life and enjoy seeing a great defence stop an attack more than the other way round. If i see some incredible skill my first thought is usually "why didnt someone smash him" :D . But I see what your getting at, and I think 99% of football fans want to see skillful players showcasing what they are capable of. Again though I would argue your point on Messi, I think he would do fine in any game played anywhere in any conditions, he just looks like he wants to play football an win.

I choose option 3 - do well consistently. I guess I am not of the European mindset that unless you win, it means nothing. I took something positive from the loss in the CL final, and perhaps I am the only one who did, as well as the times that we finished 2nd in the Premier League. I guess I look at the big picture, and say, well, finishing 2nd is good when there are a whole bunch of teams competing against you. To a lesser extent, the same things holds true for me for finishing 3rd in the PL or making it to the CL Semis or Quarterfinals.

I just wonder in this modern football age,will new fans just follow whoever is the most successfull at the time?All this talk of 'plastic' fans made me think as to why i supported Chelsea in the first place.

If this trend continues,what will happen to a modern Chelsea if we go a few seasons without any success?.

If winning isn't the most important thing then let's not keep score or call every match a draw. Then we can just watch football for the entertainment value alone won't that be fun.

Any win is entertaining that's why I never could understand the people that bitched about all of our 1-0 wins under the Great One.

I take pride in my club's achievements. To put it in a nutshell - pretty football is for Arsenal, winning football for Chelsea.

Take Theo Walcott for example. He didn't join Arsenal to play pretty football. Here's his quote " Being a top four club you want to be winning things. I want to look back on my career and how many trophies I won".

I think there's a time to win ugly but it needs to be evened out over a season with some nice football, big scorelines and skilful flashes, for me the trophies are important but I really don't think I'd rather win everything 1-0 and shut up shop than lose a few but show some entertaining breathtaking glimpses along the way.

Football to me as I've got older is less about bragging rights towards opposition fans and more about being entertained...I got a lot of entertainment last season...less this but I feel we need a tricky player that gets the Heart racing as soon as he picks up the ball to not only unlock those tight defenses but to get the fans going and in turn the rest of the team.

Trophies are great and the record books will show only winners but I'm more interested in watching the football than reading the record books and I can remember pretty much 45 years of it with most of the standouts including players with flair like Zola, Cooke, Robben and somehow I still treasure the memory of the 70 FA Cup replay more than anything else.

I look forward to seeing a good tricky winger add to our squad for next season and hope Drogba is still around, if Torres gets his act together I think a couple of additions will be enough to please all types of fans from the fans of winning at all costs to the people who like to be entertained.

Edited by Chippy

I remember being with the real fans during the early '80's,and in so many ways it was better than today, but in the bigger scale of things it was what it was,f**king sh*t.Who in all honestly would swap the Chelsea of that era for the Chelsea of today??.

A few thousand and a dog don't cut it these days,its money, money and then, more money,thats all that matters now.

But surely in all this craziness,there must still be room for the true entertainer??.

I never thought i would say this, but,I miss Arjen Robben.I know he would need 2 weeks off if he cut himself shaving but at least when on the pitch,at full pelt,running at defenders,it reminded me of all that was good about football.I kind of miss those moments.

I never thought i would say this, but,I miss Arjen Robben.I know he would need 2 weeks off if he cut himself shaving but at least when on the pitch,at full pelt,running at defenders,it reminded me of all that was good about football.I kind of miss those moments.

Perhaps David Luiz will revive those moments!

Me too Alan, he might have been made in Waterford but what a player when fit and up for it...made me wish there was something in this:

http://www.sportingo.com/football/a19851_former-chelsea-star-set-shock-stamford-bridge-return

I love the Jose and Hiddink way of football where we used to choke the life out of clubs going all out attack on us we played to our strengths sometimes we are successful sometimes not.Winning trophies gets 75% priority over type of football played out there, unless your a defender you really can't enjoy watching Chelsea play against arsenal or Barca....in WC 2010 the two most attacking teams in the world gave us such a boring final most people watching as neutrals would have been half asleep..the inter and Bayern UCL final was much much better...

Chelsea perhaps are the only team that comes to my mind that can play all kinds of football, possession,ultra defensive,transition,Direct,hard tackling in your face style basically all kinds.because we have the players to do that..depending on the opposition and the manager we have had our team adapt to various kinds of formation and football

10 yrs down the line it won't matter how many step overs a player put or how defensive inter setup to win the UCL or any other cup...all that matters is the result,that trophy and a place in history so you remember your team once had won that competition

To me it has to be success.

Just look at Arsenal. They might play beautifully at times, but look what they've accomplished with it.

I hate myself for bringing this up but as an example, look at the scousers. They all go on about their history and their trophies and not about how pretty their football was when they won them.

I'd say success is the most important thing, entertainment is like the cherry on top.

I found the game against Stoke to be massively entertaining and gripping, but also infuriating and frustrating (probably an understatement)

As a result, I'm sad to say I'd have much preferred to have won 1-0 and it be a boring game, even though it wouldn't have been much fun to watch, it would have left me with a far better feeling after the game.

In the context of actually winning things? If we won each match in the CL 1-0 in the most boring way possible, I'd be f**king ecstatic!

In the context of actually winning things? If we won each match in the CL 1-0 in the most boring way possible, I'd be f**king ecstatic!

I'm sure we all would. For the first time. Maybe the second. But just imagine if that was happening season after season after season. You were winning trophies, but playing extremely dull football. The novelty would wear off. At the moment, Man City fans will all say that they just want to win something no matter how (probably Arsenal fans too) - just like we did pre Ruud in 1997. But once you get that first trophy or two under your belt there has to be a progression.

It would be different for a small club, doing things on a budget, but with our financial clout and our squad of players which includes £50m signings and players on £150k+ a week, I don't think it's too much to expect that we should be winning matches in style from time to time!!