Media obsession with Torres/Chelsea failure

Myles_91

I can understand some of the criticism of Torres since his arrival at Chelsea, when you sign for a club for an exorbitant fee of £50m there is always going to be a high level expectation. But when you leave a "holy" and "pure" club like Liverpool for an evil machine like Chelsea you are also going to make some enemies which is exactly what Torres has done. This was a win/win situation for the media, even if Torres had scored 10-15 goals by now, the reaction from the the red top media would still be something like "Well if you pay that kind of fee that's what you'd expect". "He still doesn't look as prolific or as sharp as when he was at Liverpool".

Let's be honest so far Torres has been somewhat of a disappointment so far and hasn't hit the ground running as many strikers have done in the past, on Tuesday he covered only 5112m compared to Edwin Van Der Sar's 5176m, although Van Der Sar had 45 minutes more on the pitch that is still pretty poor.

However, I feel that the media have gone too far in there character assassination of Torres and Chelsea players in general. We saw it with Drogba, seen it with JT,Ashley Cole and it now seems Torres is under the spotlight. To brand Torres a 'flop' at every given opportunity is entirely disrespectful of a professional footballer of his quality. A player that scored the winning goal in a major competition (a feat Rooney or no other English player ever have or ever will achieve), to assist another goal in a major competition only 2 years later, a man that scored 50 goals in the Premier League quicker than any other foreign striker, a man that has more importantly achieved more than you, I or any of the pro-North journalists ever will achieve. Fernando Torres has established himself as one of the top strikers at not only Premier League level but on world stage.

Torres has had a poor season by his standards, yet this 'flop' has only been outscored by 14 other players in the entire league. One would have to ask, just how many goals would he have scored if he had been in form? My guess is he'd easily be top scorer in the league.

You can see what the media are doing, and it's rather sad. Jealous that Chelsea have prized away a special talent from one of their sacred clubs and they are now doing everything they can to ensure we don't reap the rewards by trying to unsettle the player, and force him out of the country. The media will go to these depths to ensure he isn't a Chelsea player for much longer, but they WILL fail because I, along with every other Chelsea fan and fully behind him and know he will be a success.

The media underestimate just how strong we are as a club and how supportive we are of our players. They tried to get us to turn on Ashley Cole after the shooting incident. FAILED. They tried to get us to strip JT of the Chelsea captaincy and manipulate a move to City a year earlier and get us to turn on him. FAILED.

They tried to get us to turn on Lampard after he "wanted to leave for Italy". FAILED. They tried to get us to sell Drogba after his rant during our CL exit in 2009. FAILED.

We at Chelsea stick by our players through thick and thin, that is part of what being a Blue is about, so for any Chelsea fan doubting Torres or any other of our players for that matter, hold your head up high because unlike the likes of United (Who booed Giggs off the pitch in 2003 may I add) and Arsenal (Who boo Eboue and other fringe players on a regular basis) we stick by our players through thick and thin and won't be brainwashed by the redtop media. Even Shevchenko contributed heavily to our cup double in 06/07 and were it not for his goal at WHL against the Spuds, that would probably be at least one bit of silverware less. We were told Ballack was also a "flop" but has left a popular figure at the Bridge and played an integral role in our double winning season and helped us to 5 trophies whilst at the club.

As long as Torres is a Chelsea player, he will have my full support as will any other player. ::ChELSeAFaN::

Edited by Myles_91

Let's be honest so far Torres has been somewhat of a disappointment so far and hasn't hit the ground running as many strikers have done in the past, on Tuesday he covered only 5112m compared to Edwin Van Der Sar's 5176m, although Van Der Sar had 45 minutes more on the pitch that is still pretty poor.

As long as Torres is a Chelsea player, he will have my full support as will any other player.[/b]

You can support him better by not giving any credence to garbage statistics. Torres covered 5.1km in 45 minutes. If he had played the 90, he would have been in the neighborhood of about 10km. Is that a problem? Michael Carrick covered 8.34km. Frank Lampard covered 8.9km. They both played the full 90. Guess those two were poor as well.

I agree with your overall sentiment but be smarter about how you support your argument.

Edited by dodojojo

Myles, I get what you're saying.

No matter what Torres does (or doesn't do) there will be a lot of Torres is a flop sentiment out there. It is what it is and the Chelsea fans are swimming against the tide trying to get anybody to change their minds. Kind of like when I talk to my 16 year old daughter, she hears sound but doesn't comprehend a word of what I'm saying.

That said I can't wait for Torres to finally score. I want to believe he hasn't lot it yet. I still remember those two goals he scored for Liverpool against Chelsea this season.

You can support him better by not giving any credence to garbage statistics. Torres covered 5.1km in 45 minutes. If he had played the 90, he would have been in the neighborhood of about 10km. Is that a problem? Michael Carrick covered 8.34km. Frank Lampard covered 8.9km. They both played the full 90. Guess those two were poor as well.

I agree with your overall sentiment but be smarter about how you support your argument.

I did say that later in the sentence......

Myles, I get what you're saying.

No matter what Torres does (or doesn't do) there will be a lot of Torres is a flop sentiment out there. It is what it is and the Chelsea fans are swimming against the tide trying to get anybody to change their minds. Kind of like when I talk to my 16 year old daughter, she hears sound but doesn't comprehend a word of what I'm saying.

That said I can't wait for Torres to finally score. I want to believe he hasn't lot it yet. I still remember those two goals he scored for Liverpool against Chelsea this season.

A late winner against the Pikey's or Spuds, I can see it now :rolleyes:

That said I hope he can wait till we play the Spuds purely for sentimental reasons. I want to be at the game he breaks his duck, but gave away my Pikey ticket :unsure:

I did say that later in the sentence......

I saw that but what was the point of bringing it up then? Because it sounds like "well this stat is BS but I'm going to place here to show you how poor he's been anyway..."

Sorry if I'm being prickly about this but it just tees me off that this stat/argument was apparently published in a national paper. The "story" is not even questionably stupid, it's emphatically so.

I saw that but what was the point of bringing it up then? Because it sounds like "well this stat is BS but I'm going to place here to show you how poor he's been anyway..."

Sorry if I'm being prickly about this but it just tees me off that this stat/argument was apparently published in a national paper. The "story" is not even questionably stupid, it's emphatically so.

I'm not trying to use that stat to show that he's been poor. Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Alan Shearer probably covered the smallest distance in the history of football. either way it was pretty staggering.

It's not staggering in the slightest is just sensalistic poor journalism, they might as well said van der sat covered more ground than ancelotti! If torres played 90 mins at the same rate as the first 45, he'd have been above the team average!

Personally I don't think the distance covered stats meant much. I have no problem if the striker is hanging around the last defender for the whole 90 minutes and only make runs when required. One thing Sheva did when he struggled was to 'work harder', drop deeper and wider, track back a lot. As the result, when the chance actually came, he was no where near the goal. When Torress as Liverpool, he didn't do that much running, he just stay upfield and run on the ball. We may have to adjust our way of playing to get the best out of him.

In short term, for f* sake Carlo please play Torress and Yossi for 90 minutes this weekend. Let's get the media craP off his back, and the team can move on.

I understand what you're saying, and of course I'm in full support of Torres and sure he'll come good...but are you saying that if Liverpool/Man Utd/Sp*rs had signed a striker for £50 million, and hadn't scored after 10 games, that there'd be no criticism or media attention? Look at Rooney's goal drought post the World Cup, going back a bit further Crouch when he first joined Liverpool. Admitedly neither of those had quite as much focus as there is on Torres but then again neither cost £50 million. This isn't a criticism of Fernando, just that the expectation and pressure is inevitable from the price-tag and reputation, although it is indeed exacerbated by the fact he's playing for us...

The longer he goes without scoring, the more the media love it...after all "Torres scores a goal" will only be news when he breaks his duck, after that its a non story...they were even citing him as the reason Chelsea are raising ticket prices next season ...

One headline said Fernan dough...and went on to explain how we are all having to cough up more money to cover the cost of expensive players....I'm willing to bet the prices would have gone up even if we hadn't signed him, but again thats not a headline is it...

I've been giving the media a bit of a wide berth this week, but saw that headline on SSN this morning, with that idot Shaun Custis doing the papers...To be fair Dimitar Berbatov got quite a lot of stick in his first season at ManU....the press are bast*rds we all know that, but its easier to rise above it when we're doing well...

Edited by SHELLY

Until torres turns his ratio around to near 1 in 2 the press will say he's a flop! So even if he scores in every game until the end of the season theyl be throwing stats around ' 6 goals in 19 matches for 50 mil' or '10mil pound a goal torres'. Better to just ignore them now and hopefully he hits the ground running next season.

Until torres turns his ratio around to near 1 in 2 the press will say he's a flop! So even if he scores in every game until the end of the season theyl be throwing stats around ' 6 goals in 19 matches for 50 mil' or '10mil pound a goal torres'. Better to just ignore them now and hopefully he hits the ground running next season.

Actually pretty good headlines, don't give them any ideas! :laugh2: