Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

'The magic of the FA Cup' may be a cliché.

However, down through the years and until relatively recently it was very true.

Looking back here's just one example that caught my eye.

We played Fulham at The Bridge on 21st Jan 1939 on front of a crowd of 69,987.

We won 3-0.

It was a bigger crowd than the 58,095 spectators who watched us beat Arsenal 2-1 at The Bridge in the 3rd Rd.

We then got another big crowd of 60,920 at The Bridge, in the next round v Sheff Wed

25 minutes ago, erskblue said:

'The magic of the FA Cup' may be a cliché.

However, down through the years and until relatively recently it was very true.

Looking back here's just one example that caught my eye.

We played Fulham at The Bridge on 21st Jan 1939 on front of a crowd of 69,987.

We won 3-0.

It was a bigger crowd than the 58,095 spectators who watched us beat Arsenal 2-1 at The Bridge in the 3rd Rd.

We then got another big crowd of 60,920 at The Bridge, in the next round v Sheff Wed

Must be misprints mate, we only got crowds of 6k  before 2003, so other fans will tell you, always laugh over the years when 20/30 year old  little Herbert's chant "where were you when you were sh*t" you can see those fans older lot 45 years plus thinking, if only they knew!!! In your town, In your ground, in your end!!

Edited by chi blue

51 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Must be misprints mate, we only got crowds of 6k  before 2003, so other fans will tell you, always laugh over the years when 20/30 year old  little Herbert's chant "where were you when you were sh*t" you can see those fans older lot 45 years plus thinking, if only they knew!!! In your town, In your ground, in your end!!

Yeah I totally agree, all those crowd misprints...

As many big attendances as 6K too !:announcement:

2 hours ago, Boyne said:

A clip of the game against Dynamo Moscow in 1945. Commentary is in Russian. Some great shots of fans on the Shed roof. Loads of military personnel in the crowd.

Just noticed in the clip that there is a picture of the programme. On it, military ranks are shown against the names of some of our players. Didn't know that Tommy Lawton had been a Company Sergeant Major Instructor.

On 21/01/2020 at 00:56, erskblue said:

Saturday, 21st Jan 1978

We beat Ipswich Town 5-3 at The Bridge.

Our goal scorers :Swain 27 and 61, Finnieston 74, Wicks 83, Langley 90

A very good win against the team who deservedly won the FA Cup that year,

A crowd of 26,044  saw it.

This was my first game. Not a bad way to start 🙂