Safe Standing

Carefree94

It's a tough one..whilst there'll always be strong opposition to it in this country because of Hillsborough, it's arguable that that disaster was caused by inept policing and crowd management rather than the standing in itself. Germany has shown that safe standing can be incorporated into modern stadia, and indeed there is still some terracing in this country- I'm at university in Exeter and Exeter City have a large home terrace with 4,000 capacity, with no problems there on the occasions I've visited. Of course there are the obvious pro sides to the argument- better atmosphere from standing, cheaper tickets and higher attendances. And in any case on the away trips I've been on everyone stands anyway which makes a mockery of the all-seater stadia. Personally I'd be for it if it was controlled and regulated sensibly-i.e. those who want to stand, can do so and vice versa. If anything it may bring down the ridiculous price of watching football at the moment...my two pennies-worth anyway

Wasn't alive for the standing era, but I gather that seating ruins the atmosphere. Has anyone signed the petition? Apparently they are thinking of introducing a safe standing area at the emirates. I think that it would be difficult for Hillsborough to be recreated as there is better policing these days. I've seen the way they want to regulate it and it looks stupid. They are bars between each row http://www.fsf.org.uk/media/uploaded/safe%20standing2.JPG

I posted this ages ago when we were talking about this, but didnt Dortmund put down winning the German league partly down to the atmosphere created by the standing are they implemented? Apparently the noise they made was incredible, I read somewhere the club reckoned it gained them around 9-12 points in a season.

Shame. Still at least we are allowed to stand at away games. Have u got season tickets?

Nope, been a few years since I could afford a season ticket. I mostly go to away games in the north now, me and my dad used to travel down with a few others many years ago but got priced out.

That's pretty depressing not being able to watch your club. Were you at old trafford on the 8th may?

Nope, only tickets I can get to OT are with their horrible fans, and I`m not gonna be able to sit with those sh*ts without losing my temper or shouting for Chelsea. Which would probably get me a good kicking...

safe standing is very achieveable but in no way will it be comparable to the standing of yesteryear and we're foolish to think it will recreate what we once had. The safe standing in Germany works because they have room for one row of people between each barrier - much like having people standing in front of their seats. While having that will be an improvement on the current all seater stadium what it will still lack is the ability of groups to walk into the ground and all stand together, and in my opinion that's one of the key things that made standing of yesteryear work so well.

The all seater stadiums was the beginning of the end for my attendance at matches. I too site the lack of being able to stand with people I had gone to matches with for years.... not only close friends but there was a tendency that most in the immediate vicinity of were you stood also stood in set places too. The cost eventually forced me away and now I only manage to get to 2 or 3 games a year at most. Safe standing would definetely bring back the atmosphere to grounds. I somehow doubt we will ever see it in this country anytime soon.

Gamla Ullevi in Göteborg (home of IFK Göteborg & GAIS) has had safe standing for league games, since 2008, but the police are actively working to have it removed because of certain groups of fans abusing the trust

I went to a Bundesliga match at Dortmund a few years back. It was fantastic. We stood on the huge terrace behind the goal and were free to go and stand wherever we wanted. Barn is correct in that it is steep with large deep steps. It is designed so that they can fit seats to it for European competions. But the atmosphere was great (very German mind) and it does allow the vocal fans to gather together in the centre of the terrace. And when Bobic scored the winner in a 1-0 victory over Frieburg in about the 90th minute the fans actually jumped up and down with their arms in the air and hugged each other and so on which seems a rare reaction to a goal these days.

The other great things were that it was cheap, we just turned up an hour before kick off and bought tickets at the ground with cash. And inside, apart from the terracing, there was proper food. Hot dogs with actual sauages in them tasted great. And best of all you paid a deposit for a plastic handle and then used that to hold the beers you bought that you could actually take onto the terrace!!

Almost makes you wish you were German. Well, almost.

Sadly though I think that there is as much chance of seeing terraces return at the Bridge as there is Spurs winning the quadruple. Oh to stand on the whitewall again. I remember my Dad saying that we couldn't stay there all night after the Sheff Utd game. Those were the days. I remember taking my cousin (a City fan) to a game against Newcastle and standing by the whitewall and when Stein scored we all jumped and then without landing surged forward. I think it was a few minutes before we found each other again!

Sorry, this has strayed into vintage territory now.

Actually, one other thing about terraces and seats. Although it is generally accepted that seats have badly damaged the atmosphere at games I can recall some awsome atmospheres without terrace. One that springs to mind is being in the old West Stand for the CWC game against Victoria Zizkov. That ranks amonst the best atmosphere I ever experienced at the Bridge. None stop singing and everyone going absolutely mental when we scored! It was like being in a mosh pit!!

So perhaps the crappy atmosphere is a lot to do with the people who go nowadays as much as the lack of terracing.

That sounds like germany have got it sorted out. I do agree that the people who go this days are ruining the atmosphere but there have been some good games in the all-seater stadium. The 2007 FA cup as a 12 year old everyone went crazy went when drogba scored. What a moment!

Actually, one other thing about terraces and seats. Although it is generally accepted that seats have badly damaged the atmosphere at games I can recall some awsome atmospheres without terrace. One that springs to mind is being in the old West Stand for the CWC game against Victoria Zizkov. That ranks amonst the best atmosphere I ever experienced at the Bridge. None stop singing and everyone going absolutely mental when we scored! It was like being in a mosh pit!!

So perhaps the crappy atmosphere is a lot to do with the people who go nowadays as much as the lack of terracing.

One huge difference with the old West Stand though was that in the benches especially, you weren't tied down to any seat number or even seating area. You could stick to your preferred area, sit with your mates, have a laugh and a joke. In such circumstances it's a lot easier to get an atmosphere going.

I agree that we're extremely unlikely to ever see the return of terracing in the Premier League. So how about a benches style compromise? Where you pay to sit down, but are free to move around more or less as you choose within the seating area.

One huge difference with the old West Stand though was that in the benches especially, you weren't tied down to any seat number or even seating area. You could stick to your preferred area, sit with your mates, have a laugh and a joke. In such circumstances it's a lot easier to get an atmosphere going.

I agree that we're extremely unlikely to ever see the return of terracing in the Premier League. So how about a benches style compromise? Where you pay to sit down, but are free to move around more or less as you choose within the seating area.

That sounds like a good compromise. And it would help programme sales as you needed one to sit on in the benches to avoid gettings piles!!

That sounds like a good compromise. And it would help programme sales as you needed one to sit on in the benches to avoid gettings piles!!

:laugh2: I used to take a cushion along to sit on - made it quite a bit more bearable