Thibaut Courtois to Chelsea

Genk's 19 year old keeper Thibaut Courtois told radio station FM Brussels that Chelsea want him to (eventually) replace Peter Cech.

He said CFC are thinking of letting him stay at Genk for 1 or 2 years & then maybe loan him to English club; gradual introduction.

Genk's 19 year old keeper Thibaut Courtois told radio station FM Brussels that Chelsea want him to (eventually) replace Peter Cech.

He said CFC are thinking of letting him stay at Genk for 1 or 2 years & then maybe loan him to English club; gradual introduction.

If this is true, I'm quite glad that the club is thinking about this. It's worth getting a decent goalkeeper replacement sorted out in advance rather than having to go through what happened to United after Schmeichel left. Having said that, Petr is only 29 and could feasibly still be playing for us in 5-10 years time. I guess if this guy doesn't want to wait that long, we can sell him off in the interim. Or, of course, there's always the chance that he out-performs Cech and wins his place off of him

• 3 weeks later...

From Sky:

Chelsea close on Courtois

Chelsea are close to finalising a deal for Genk's teenage goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois. The 19-year-old is very highly rated and helped Genk to win the Belgian championship last season.

The Premier League giants have been tracking him for a number of months, and despite reported interest from Atletico Madrid, a deal looks set to be concluded.

Courtois' father and agent Thierry confirmed a deal was close and he expected it to go through on Tuesday.

"He [Thibault] was in in Chelsea last week," he revealed to Het Belang Van Limberg.

"I think Chelsea and Genk have reached an agreement. Tuesday we will come and talk about the transfer."

Chelsea are reportedly happy to let Courtois return to Genk on loan, and his father admitted this was an option but he rubbished any claims he could sign a new deal with the Belgian club.

"Maybe Chelsea will lend Thibaut to Genk, but a contract extension does not interest us anymore," he added.

Chelsea are still understood to be keen on making a double swoop on Genk, as talks over midfielder Kevin de Bruyne also continue.

The Blues had hoped to send De Bruyne back on loan to Belgium, but to Genk's rivals Anderlecht, which would also have helped their continued pursuit of Romelu Lukaku.

However, Genk have insisted they will not allow De Bruyne to be loaned to any other Belgian club should he be sold.

Regarding Lukaku, he admits he is more than happy to stay at Anderlecht, should his move to Chelsea fail to materialise.

"Occasionally you might yearn for something new, but for now I sit here very well. We'll see where it goes," he said after returning for pre-season training, where he was joined in the first team by his young brother Jordan.

But he still admits a move to England is his dream, adding: "I would really like a top transfer and I have always wanted to go to England."

LINK

Chelsea agree Courtois fee with Genk

Chelsea have reached an agreement with Genk over goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois. Talks took place in London on Tuesday and De Standaard reports that a fee in the region of €6 million has been agreed.

Courtois, 19, is expected to remain at Genk next season before moving to Stamford Bridge in 2012.

He is apparently likely to sign a four- or five-year deal and father Thierry said: "Thibaut himself now has to see if he can agree personal terms."

Atletico Madrid had also been linked with a swoop for Courtois - as a replacement for David De Gea following his move to Manchester United - but the teenager's father, who also acts as his agent, recently claimed Stamford Bridge is his son's destination of choice.

LINK

I agree Cech is really cool...I mean the name.

All he does is Cechs opponent attempts at goal.

I could spend all day trying to figure out what that actually means.

I could but I won't!

All reports seem to suggest this guy will be our first signing of the summer. It'll be interesting to see where he fits in to start with, given that we recently resigned Hilario. You'd think he might return to Genk for a season, unless we are considering getting rid of Turnbull.

Edited by Spiller86

I keep wondering about people like Hilario and Paulo, if they'll end up joining the coaching staff as positional coaches after another year or so. Do you have to have licenses to do things like that, or is that only for being a head coach? Both seem to be well-thought of around the Bridge, and both are Portuguese, so this is obviously me just clutching at straws, but I was curious.

Taken from FC Genks official site (I think)

Thibaut Courtois is specifically requested by the player immediately transferred to Chelsea.

KRC Genk has done what it could to the player and his entourage to convince to stay in Genk, but this failed. By not show up on the appointment of Courtois this morning in preparation for the match against Lyon, Genk has had no other choice than the bid from Chelsea for the club by far the largest bid ever for a player that received in to go.

KRC Genk and deplored the state of affairs when a toptransfer gerealisseerd was, this one has a very bad feeling.

KRC Genk had already felt Courtois Genk would leave and is now equally at work to search for a successor to.

Edited by dkw