Benitez approach!?!?!

willh6373

Re this article:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1025842/agent:-no-official-chelsea-approach-for-rafael-benitez?cc=3436

Please no. I cant possibly think why this would happen....i mean Benitez??? i hated how liverpool played under him (towards the end anyway).

Not a quality manager in my opinion.

lets stick it out and see what this 'project' offers first.

I couldn't disagree more.

We saw how poor Rafa was at building teams at Liverpool.

In his 5 year tenure, he only really brought 4 good players to the club: Alonso, Reina, Torres, Mascherano.

He turned Liverpool from a comfortable top 4 team into a midtable outfit.

Edited by Myles_91

I couldn't disagree more.

We saw how poor Rafa was at building teams at Liverpool.

In his 5 year tenure, he only really brought 4 good players to the club: Alonso, Reina, Torres, Mascherano.

He turned Liverpool from a comfortable top 4 team into a midtable outfit.

I'd forgotton just how many players he bought and sold whilst he was there

http://www.liverweb.org.uk/benitez.asp

Crazy turnover of players, including some absolute dross for decent cash

I'd forgotton just how many players he bought and sold whilst he was there

http://www.liverweb.org.uk/benitez.asp

Crazy turnover of players, including some absolute dross for decent cash

I never have rated the guy.

The 2 trophies he won were flukes as they fluked both Semi finals against us and the final vs West Ham and Milan respectively.

Semi final's were decided by crazy refereeing/officiating and finals were down to Gerrard's individual brilliance and partly luck and capitulation of opposition.

Take out those lucky wins and he massively underachieved at that club.

When he tried to offload Alonso for Barry that convinced me he had truly lost it and his lack of composure in the 08/09 season re: Fergie rant was evident. As much as I'm not a fan of AVB, despite all the pressure he has been under at a tender age of 34, he has shown far more maturity and composure than Rafa ever has at 51.

It's not the players he brought in as much that concern me it's the ones he let go.

Selling Alonso, Bellamy, Murphy and Sinama-Pongolle (who I always rated) was absolute madness and borderline insanity IMO and I thought that at the time and in hindsight still do now.

Edited by Myles_91

Track record of falling out with the owner/board of every club he's been at.

Then he should fit right in as CFC manager. What manager hasn't had a falling out with the owner at CFC? It seems to be the Roman way. Kind of reminds of me George Steinbrenner and the Yankees when he was firing managers left and right.

Truthfully, we've already got 2 Liverpool rejects...

So, why not have a third????

Rather see "the project" through to be honest..if it fails, then so be it...but Rafa, c'mon???? i'd prefer Don Fabio first....(only because i think its highly unlikely Mourinho would return.)

Edited by WV2 Blue

Firstly I hate the guy, but i think it is very realistic that the board would appoint him as manager.

1) He has won the Champ league with a poor liverpool team and took them to the final on another occasion

2) Won the Uefa cup with Valencia

3) Won La Liga with Valencia

4) Won Spanish Manager of the year

5) Got the best out of Torres

6) Has vast experience of EPL and European football

Whilst our negative feelings about him may be extreme, I doubt the board will see things in the same light. They run Chelsea as a business and a manager with that CV and pedigree would be considered.

I wouldn't want that waiter anywhere near Chelsea. He'd struggle under the pressure (the media and the higher ups on the board) He's got a very poor record in the transfer market

Also I thought there was a rumour of a pretty frosty relationship between the waiter and torres anyway.

Not sure if I'd want him here but I agree that some people are really under rating him.

Agreed. I used to rate him and his transfer dealings also used to be pretty good (Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, Arbeloa, Reina, Skrtel, Agger..) even though he seems to get criticized for it a lot. Seemed to get a bit crazy the longer he stayed at Liverpool but who can blame him really. Same as you, not sure I'd want him here though.

Edited by footballoholic