How do you ban a football fan?

Gem
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Or any other sports fan for that matter? Hope it's not a dumb question but in the wake of this Leeds prat (doesn't really narrow it down does it?) getting a ban - how would the football club stop you from entering? Ban your IP from buying tickets? You can sign in on a public computer. Ban your email/address/bank details? Change them, use a friend's address etc. Put your face up on the wall on all entrances? Really? Would that work? I mean it may do- but what if you wear a fancy hat and have a scarf wrapped round your neck/mouth? Football is for the chilly months after all.

Someone will probably now give a simple answer but at the moment I'm just struggling to think how clubs will keep certain fans out.

Isn't the point of a ban less about actually preventing someone from entering the ground and more about being able to file criminal trespassing charges against them if they get caught inside again?

More or less yes.

Trespassing on private land is a civil offence in Australia, however. If caught trespassing the offender can be liable to be fined etc.

They make you sign in at your local Police Station 20 minutes before the game and at half time, at least that's what I thought anyway. If your team is playing abroad or even country they make you surrender your passport at the local police station.

At least thats how I thought it worked anyway.

They can still get in I am sure, they just have to have a bit of a disguise going as they do stick up pictures at the entrances.

The idea is if they are spotted they will be lifted and will face prosecution.

I am sure there are plenty of banned people getting into games most weeks without too much trouble.

Edited by Zola

you could get them to sign in at their local police station (or any police station) while the match is being played. not sure if they do this, but that's how it could be enforced.

edit- as myles says above.

Edited by g3.7

Put a GPS controlled collar on his leg with electrodes implanted in his bollocks. If he comes within 500 yards of a ground, his scrotum is gently massaged by 5000 V.

I am feeling aroused is that wrong ?

Edited by andy

you could get them to sign in at their local police station (or any police station) while the match is being played. not sure if they do this, but that's how it could be enforced.

edit- as myles says above.

That's only used to stop fans travelling abroad, and it's the authorities that organise that, I don't think a club ban has anything to do with the police, unless the courts impose a ban, the police wont enforce it.