Chelsea Statistics/Reports

Zeta

I've been thinking about creating a Chelsea stats web system for a while, and am probably going to do it over the summer for the new season. 

I've had a few ideas about how it could be used, basically after every game I enter all the match info, so:

- Score

- Scorers

- Who played & how long for

- Possession, shots, etc... stats

- Formation

- And other various stats

Then after a while, I can use that data to create all sorts of nice statistics and reports, based on what anyone might want to know. For example someone might ask "what is the % of games we've won, % drawn and % lost when Mikel has played", or "what minutes bracket do we score/concede most in", or "what starting 11 have the highest win % of our players", etc... and then I can just write some fairly simple queries and those reports can be generated for anyone who might want them.

Would anyone be interested in something like that? Or would I be mostly wasting my time?

I ask since if people were interested, then the more people who wanted to help with entering the data after each match means it could store a lot more and have potential for more wide ranging stats.

Feel free to think about it, I won't be starting for months anyway, I was just curious as to whether anyone would have any interest in it.

I came across an interesting stat in an article by Martin Keown the other day. I've always felt that every side has a key player or two without whom they are just not as strong. I think I read somewhere that we had hardly won a game this season when Lamps and Terry were missing, and that if Mata doesn't play we don't win.

Keown pointed out a stat that shows every player's measurable value: points per game played. So if a team wins most of the games a particular plays in, that player will have a better points per game than someone whose presence seems to coincide with sh*te performances and results (in simple terms, Cech should have a superior points per game toTurnbull, but it could be that the figure is skewed by the fact that Turnbull might play a disproportionate number of games against weaker opponents in, say, the Capital One cup).

Here's the article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2286600/MARTIN-KEOWN-Premier-League-clubs-MVPs--Robin-van-Persie-Luis-Suarez-Sergio-Aguero-Marouane-Fellaini.html

Statistical Manipulation: Lesson 1.

Question:

100 Dog Owners were asked whether their pets preferred Pedigree Dognosh or a crisp green salad.

Reported Result:

95% of dog owners say their pets prefer Pedigree Dognosh.

Having previously demonstrated a lack of understanding of the relative meaning of the words "only" and "primarily", you now manage to interpret a mistrust of statistics as hatred, further equating this mistrust with a support or defence of John Obi Mikel.

Which goes to show, from both a quantitative and qualitative perspective, that you simply do not have a f**king clue.

The correlation between hatred for numbers/stats and being a John Obi Mikel supporter is almost 100%. 

Look at dkw getting his knickers in a twist.

What a false assumption! I love numbers and even stats. I also learned about them so I know that a few 'stats' based on minimal data mean absolutely nothing. I'd suggest you go learn about formal and mathematical logic, analysis and statistics and then come back to revisit the question.

I also think that Mikel is a very useful player to have in the squad, IF the manager know when and how to use him. The FSW's misuse of Mikel (and almost every other player as well for that matter) can only be compared to your misuse of statistics.

The correlation between hatred for numbers/stats and being a John Obi Mikel supporter is almost 100%. 

Look at dkw getting his knickers in a twist.

The correlation between being a complete twat and having the username 'stamford_blue' is almost 100% too though to be fair.....

The correlation between being a complete twat and having the username 'stamford_blue' is almost 100% too though to be fair.....

Funny all you guys cant make a point without being abusive. I guess that is what one resorts to when one is unable to have a logical conversation.

Funny all you guys cant make a point without being abusive. I guess that is what one resorts to when one is unable to have a logical conversation.

What's even funnier, hilarious in fact, is that you who repeatedly dismiss people whose opinions differ from your own as being of a low intellect and lacking in brain cells, go on to accuse people of calling you names when these self-same accusations are turned back on yourself.

Which leads me to believe that this name calling you see everywhere is largely based on wishful thinking, that you would in fact like nothing more than to provoke a reaction and for people to call you all the names under the sun.

In other words: you're on a wind-up, and are therefore best ignored.

What's even funnier, hilarious in fact, is that you who repeatedly dismiss people whose opinions differ from your own as being of a low intellect and lacking in brain cells, go on to accuse people of calling you names when these self-same accusations are turned back on yourself.

Which leads me to believe that this name calling you see everywhere is largely based on wishful thinking, that you would in fact like nothing more than to provoke a reaction and for people to call you all the names under the sun.

In other words: you're on a wind-up, and are therefore best ignored.

I dismiss people calling me names. Opinions, I reply to and counter with facts and stats. 

But you can continue to ignore that.

So shall I take that as a no then...

Sorry actually I think it's a great idea - how do you plan to compile the stats? If you're doing stuff like pass accuracy % and possession it might be a bit of a tough task for one person to do.

Sorry actually I think it's a great idea - how do you plan to compile the stats? If you're doing stuff like pass accuracy % and possession it might be a bit of a tough task for one person to do.

If I'm the only one doing it, I'll be doing more basic stats, like the kind of thing you see on BBC match reports, plus maybe a couple of other bits, there are still loads of reports you can generate from that kind of info. If other people wanted to help out, then obviously we could add more detail, as each person could do a few bits.

Sorry for derailing this, it is a very good idea. I was just pointing out that though statistics are enjoyable to read its really very difficult to fully quantify the figures because there are so many variables. But yeah, go for it as it will make for interesting reading.

Sorry for derailing this, it is a very good idea. I was just pointing out that though statistics are enjoyable to read its really very difficult to fully quantify the figures because there are so many variables. But yeah, go for it as it will make for interesting reading.

I don't think it's you who needs to be apologising. The thread was well and truly on its way to being derailed from post #6 onwards. To quote Plokoon13:

Statistics can be very useful when used properly, and extremely dangerous when not.

Or to put it another way (misquoting an obscure Stones song): It's the Statto Not The Stats.

Zeta, I think its an awful lot of work for what return?  

It will be impossible to set a standard that rivals Opta etc as you know, but having it as Chelsea only is a nice niche, I just don't know what you can do differently that isn't freely available? All the very best and most interesting stats are usually made available by Opta and the like regularly and in the papers, what could you do differently?

(Just playing devils advocate!!)

What's 'funny' is you trying to take the moral high ground after introducing yourself to this thread with your (totally irrelevant) trademark mention of Mikel before (totall unprovoked) you choose to accuse a longstanding member of the forum of 'getting their knickers in a twist' for no apparent reason.

You can try and sound clever by talking like the queen as much as you like pal but it won't make what you are saying any more accurate, people are resorting to being abusive because you are acting like a tit, not because they are unable to have a 'logical conversation'.

What's 'funny' is you trying to take the moral high ground after introducing yourself to this thread with your (totally irrelevant) trademark mention of Mikel before (totall unprovoked) you choose to accuse a longstanding member of the forum of 'getting their knickers in a twist' for no apparent reason.

You can try and sound clever by talking like the queen as much as you like pal but it won't make what you are saying any more accurate, people are resorting to being abusive because you are acting like a tit, not because they are unable to have a 'logical conversation'.

Once again you guys cant complete a sentence without abusing me. Really shows how weak your arguments are that you have to resort to such language. May God help you.

Archived