Welsh fan seeking advice.

meldavies56

Just looking for some info if possible, im travelling up from wales to the Villa game on 21st of august and il have my mother with me, she's diabled and cant walk for long distances but can do short walks.

Can anyone suggest a hotel that is very close to the bridge and is at a reasonalble price unlike the millienuim and horthorne which is out of my range.

One more question, after the game will there be taxis available around the ground? i understand that the roads are closed for a little while after but how long before things run again and i can get a taxi to take us back to the hotel?

Can't help you with the hotel. Look online and see if there are any local B&Bs maybe?

If I want a taxi after a game I book through Addison Lee and tell the cab to wait for me outside the Chelsea&Westminster hospital (walk left when you come out the ground, it's about a 10 minute walk, maybe longer for your mum).

The driver texts you when he's there therefore you can call him when you're outside the hospital and he will pull up, as there are always a few cabs waiting.

They are very reliable.

I'm afraid that's about the nearest pick up point.

HAve a look at http://www.hotel-lareserve.co.uk/index.php#.UfZ_INKsh8E

It's just outside the bridge, their rooms are quite pleasant and I think that the 21st has rooms available for £69.  I've stayed there before and it was fine, and they have a couple of parking spaces if you book ahead and get there early enough to beat the Fulham Road closure.

Have fun, anyway

DO NOT STAY AT LA RESERVE! Well, unless you enjoy bed bugs and the management giving you an attitude about it. It is also a very stuffy place, not the cleanest carpets, the rooms that have wooden floors creak like mad. The rooms they sell as double for single occupancy are just more expensive singles. Oh, and breakfast is a sad affair.

The Fulham Travelodge may be borderline too far for Mel's mum, but there are a few pubs along the route to take a breather. The Ibis Earls Court is certainly too far to walk, I'd say.

Shame the Chelsea Village hotel, now Copthorne, has become so expensive. It used to offer some good affordable deals, but no more.

DO NOT STAY AT LA RESERVE! Well, unless you enjoy bed bugs and the management giving you an attitude about it. It is also a very stuffy place, not the cleanest carpets, the rooms that have wooden floors creak like mad. The rooms they sell as double for single occupancy are just more expensive singles. Oh, and breakfast is a sad affair.

That was a "special" room just for you, Val.  I stayed there a couple of times and it was fine, decent-sized, clean room and a good breakfast.  And no creaking was done.  WTF were you doing to make the room creak?

That was a "special" room just for you, Val.  I stayed there a couple of times and it was fine, decent-sized, clean room and a good breakfast.  And no creaking was done.  WTF were you doing to make the room creak?

I've stayed there a few times myself through the years, and each time the place had deteriorated a little bit more. I've decided not to go there anymore. And you know what we were doing, Kev, don't play the innocent with me :tease:

To get us through the close season, we had a Spot the Ball competition a couple of summers ago: someone (was it Loz?) posted a match photo, from which the ball was erased. Via a grid system you could guess where the ball should be. The closer you got to the right position, the more points you earned. We had a table and all, I may have ended 18th or thereabouts :-) I remember someone - it may have been Phillip or Scott- at first posting that he didn't get it, how could he tell where the ball was when there was no ball in the picture :-D

Great fun! Kev's creaking hips are but a poor second, but don't tell him I said so.

All this info is fantastic guys, very great full, i shall check out some of the hotels mentioned, what about the taxi situation? If we wait for the match crowd to clear in a pub or something,will taxis then be available to pick us up then if mum is struggling with the walk?

All this info is fantastic guys, very great full, i shall check out some of the hotels mentioned, what about the taxi situation? If we wait for the match crowd to clear in a pub or something,will taxis then be available to pick us up then if mum is struggling with the walk?

It's London pal just flag a taxi no worries at all.

Archived