Oliver Torres

Butterhampton FC

Anybody know much about 18 year old Oliver Torres? Apparently he's in the youth system for Atletico and we are being linked with signing him. Thinking about how we already have an absurd amount of young (and apparently talented) midfielders, I do not understand why we would go for him in January and when if ever he would get a chance with the first team.

Anybody know much about 18 year old Oliver Torres? Apparently he's in the youth system for Atletico and we are being linked with signing him. Thinking about how we already have an absurd amount of young (and apparently talented) midfielders, I do not understand why we would go for him in January and when if ever he would get a chance with the first team.

hes a first team player at atletico

and he plays as a CM not an AM, and the kind of CM we desperately need. someone whos comfortable in possession with great passing range

We have the same player in Romeu (expect he offers a lot more defensively), Josh (both weak as piss but good on the ball and good range of passing) and if push came to shove, Oscar/KDB (who are better in every way)

It would most likely cost us something like £20m-£30m to sign this kid,  it's not worth it as he doesn't bring anything we don't already have imo. Not to mention he's still only 18 and hasn't even tested himself in Europe yet. 

We have the same player in Romeu (expect he offers a lot more defensively), Josh (both weak as piss but good on the ball and good range of passing) and if push came to shove, Oscar/KDB (who are better in every way)

It would most likely cost us something like £20m-£30m to sign this kid,  it's not worth it as he doesn't bring anything we don't already have imo. Not to mention he's still only 18 and hasn't even tested himself in Europe yet. 

Romeu can't be as good surely? I was interested to see how Romeu got on with regular game time in Spain but as far as I can see he isn't even making it off the bench, whereas Torres is a key player for a better team than Valencia.

Romeu can't be as good surely? I was interested to see how Romeu got on with regular game time in Spain but as far as I can see he isn't even making it off the bench, whereas Torres is a key player for a better team than Valencia.

He's played like 10 times and been subbed on in all of those appearances, hardly a key player. 

It was never going to be easy for Romeu after coming off yet another long injury so his lack of games don't concern me at the moment. Both Romeu and Josh have shown that they have the same impact and ability on the ball/range of passing that Oliver Torres has, they have done it against much better opponents too. Paying a hefty fee (recently signed contract till 2018, I believe) to buy an 18 year old for the first team after one good season where his best performances didn't even come from his league performances when we have the same player in Josh who has proven far more would be hard to swallow for me.

He's played like 10 times and been subbed on in all of those appearances, hardly a key player. 

It was never going to be easy for Romeu after coming off yet another long injury so his lack of games don't concern me at the moment. Both Romeu and Josh have shown that they have the same impact and ability on the ball/range of passing that Oliver Torres has, they have done it against much better opponents too. Paying a hefty fee (recently signed contract till 2018, I believe) to buy an 18 year old for the first team after one good season where his best performances didn't even come from his league performances when we have the same player in Josh who has proven far more would be hard to swallow for me.

Weird that Barcelona are circling Torres rather than Josh then. Maybe their scouts, the coaching teams at ourselves and Swansea, all other clubs in fact are missing something that you aren't?

Agree Romeu could be our Alonso if he comes good. Chances of that looking slim at the moment though.

Weird that Barcelona are circling Torres rather than Josh then. Maybe their scouts, the coaching teams at ourselves and Swansea, all other clubs in fact are missing something that you aren't?

Agree Romeu could be our Alonso if he comes good. Chances of that looking slim at the moment though.

Difference being that we already own Josh. Those clubs don't own either of them so they are obviously going to be going after Torres rather than Josh as he's playing in their league, Spanish, younger and has had a good season. 

Difference being that we already own Josh. Those clubs don't own either of them so they are obviously going to be going after Torres rather than Josh as he's playing in their league, Spanish, younger and has had a good season. 

Another difference being that Oliver Torres would cost a bombload more than Josh McEachran.

Modern scouting systems don't just look at recent performances, Barcelona seemed keen enough on Denis Suarez, who is less than a year younger than Josh and has never performed in their own league. Or is it part of the global conspiracy against English players?

Another difference being that Oliver Torres would cost a bombload more than Josh McEachran.

Modern scouting systems don't just look at recent performances, Barcelona seemed keen enough on Denis Suarez, who is less than a year younger than Josh and has never performed in their own league. Or is it part of the global conspiracy against English players?

This has gone way past the original point. Why do I care if they have an interest in Suarez or anyone else for that matter? I'm only interested in us. If others want to show interest then let them. 

We have a player very similar to Torres in Josh. If we want someone to keep the ball and pass it around effectively while offering next to nothing defensively then we should use him rather than shelling out £20m+ for an 18 year old who hasn't even adjusted to life in La Liga, nevermind the EPL. 

This has gone way past the original point. Why do I care if they have an interest in Suarez or anyone else for that matter? I'm only interested in us. If others want to show interest then let them.

We have a player very similar to Torres in Josh. If we want someone to keep the ball and pass it around effectively while offering next to nothing defensively then we should use him rather than shelling out £20m+ for an 18 year old who hasn't even adjusted to life in La Liga, nevermind the EPL.

We had Moses and we spent a ridiculous 30 mil on Willian so it wouldn't surprise me if we did buy this guy and just kicked josh to the curb. Probably spend another 30 mil on somebody similar to Piazon.

Watching the Spanish U-20 team and while Deulofeu looks a special talent Oliver Torres is clearly the one running the midfield. McEachran definitely has the raw talent to make it at a top club but there's no guarantee whereas the likes of Oliver are simply too good not to. He has that rare dose of maturity that should take him all the way and is a sensational passer without even taking into account his age.

I can't see Josh McEachran being the world beater some of you expect. He was thrown into the deep end when he wasn't quite ready and then didn't get a game.

You either have to give him a few minutes consistently and then blood him into the first team or don't bother playing him in the first place.

Archived