Patrick Van Aaholt

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

So several news articles have been published today which say that PvA is "Done Here" with Chelsea.  

To be honest, I haven't seen much of him play, but for being on the books with CFC for 7 1/2 years and only getting 2 first team appearances, I don't blame him for wanting to leave.  

Let's just hope Van Ginkle makes the squad this season and doesn't leave like this as well.

Not fussed about him leaving but more concerned that we don't have an adequate back up for Luis

I'm actually more concerned about who will back up Azpilicueta at RB.  Unless we will use Ivanovic as a backup to both RB and CB.  I think our Defense will look something like this, next season.

LB: Luis (Bertrand)

CB: Terry and Cahill (Ivanovic and Zouma)

RB: Azpilicueta (Ivanovic OR ???)

I'm actually more concerned about who will back up Azpilicueta at RB. Unless we will use Ivanovic as a backup to both RB and CB. I think our Defense will look something like this, next season.

LB: Luis (Bertrand)

CB: Terry and Cahill (Ivanovic and Zouma)

RB: Azpilicueta (Ivanovic OR ???)

Maybe have a youngster as another option incase of emergencys, after how well Kalas did against Liverpool I'd be interested to see what someone else could do

He made the provisional squad for the Netherlands WC squad, so I would expect us to get a decent fee for him. Nothing crazy but also not a free.

He was always a good attacker but average defender, while Bertrand was more of the opposite. Too bad we couldn't have combined them into a Van Bertrand....

Van Aanholt is a good player for the Dutch Eredivisie but I don't think he will ever grow out to a level that makes him useful for Chelsea. If he wants to leave Chelsea/Vitesse (Vitesse, our second Youth Team), I am okay with that. Also as a back up he isn't good enough, namely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28483243

Van Aanholt is apparently close to signing a deal with Sunderland. It's sad that he won't make it here, but at least we will get to see how he develops in the Premier League.

As he only has a year left on his contract I can't imagine we will get a very big fee for him, hopefully we are inserting a buy-back clause in there...