Paul Canoville 'Black and Blue'

Carloseyebrow
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

The travelling fans are still Champions league it's the home fans that are generally sh*t nowadays.

Back on subject a number of these racist fans do still attend, difference is there views have been silenced and a number have been educated.

I know Paul never named the player responsible for his exit but does anyone have an idea who it might be?

Was just about to ask the same thing!

I must admit, that was an emotional roller coaster last night, felt sick at some of the parts, the abuse he got was disgusting, as a species, the human race is seriously flawed at times.

Had to leave the room when he was talking about his baby son, heartbreaking doesn't begin to describe it.

The travelling fans are still Champions league it's the home fans that are generally sh*t nowadays.

Back on subject a number of these racist fans do still attend, difference is there views have been silenced and a number have been educated.

I know Paul never named the player responsible for his exit but does anyone have an idea who it might be?

I wondered the same, is it in the book? (On my list to read.) If Paul has chosen not to name him I think that shows the type of guy he is.

Was just about to ask the same thing!

I must admit, that was an emotional roller coaster last night, felt sick at some of the parts, the abuse he got was disgusting, as a species, the human race is seriously flawed at times.

Had to leave the room when he was talking about his baby son, heartbreaking doesn't begin to describe it.

It got to me too, how much one person can go through, life is very unfair. I thought Trevor Nelson came across particularly well.

I wondered the same, is it in the book? (On my list to read.) If Paul has chosen not to name him I think that shows the type of guy he is

Ive not read the book so i dont know if he names the player, but ive always thought it was pretty well know who it was.

Numerous people over various social media sites have said it was David Speedie who was racist to Canoville, Whether that is true im not too sure.

Also heard Speedie had a massive row with Dixon back in them days, Again just another rumour, I wouldn't have a clue as i was born in 1990.

Was a brilliant programme though and even though it was before my time i thoroughly enjoyed it, Such a shame what Canoville has had to put up with during his life (Racism, Cancer x2, Drug Addiction, Losing a child), Good to see him on the right path now though.

I met Paul Canoville once in a SW6 pub, nice fella.

It was terrible what he went through at Palace, i have to say though did he constantly suffer abuse like he says he did?

I certainly dont remember it like that, in fact i'd say the likes of Keith Dublin & Keith Jones had it a lot worse because they were so poor on the pitch add the fact both were black & that just gave some fans extra ammo to abuse them with.

I cant agree with the legend status some fans give to Canoville though, 79 appearances & only 11 goals doesnt warrant legend status imo, we also sold him for just £75k.

Off the pitch while i appreciate he had some issues & serious illness the fact he knocked out 10 kids with loads of different women leaving joe public to help clothe & feed them through benefits isnt exactly a good role model either. 

I'm glad to see he's turned his life around & that he's still involved with Chelsea, long may it to continue.

Regards the Palace game, does anyone really think that every single fan involved in the abuse that day was a goose stepping Nazi?

Or just like other chants, young lads getting caught up in it?

I bet like me there's loads of older lads on here who sang some sick chants back in their youth that they'd never dream of singing now, anything & anyone was fair game back then especially if it got the away fans going.

I think while there was a strong racist element at Chelsea there was also plenty of young lads just going along with the chants, that is of course not condoning certain chants but just how it was.

Good post /\ we've all done things we regret. Alongside being the first black player for Chelsea he also has personal demons, I had to try and separate them when watching.

The Walter Tull story is amazing if you haven't heard of him look him up.

Good post /\ we've all done things we regret. Alongside being the first black player for Chelsea he also has personal demons, I had to try and separate them when watching.

The Walter Tull story is amazing if you haven't heard of him look him up.

Yeah ive read about Walter Tull now he was a legend.

That's really good news, as far as im concerned those that gave him sh*t weren't true Chelsea fans

Sadly they were. We can't pick and choose who supports us.

The good news is that it's very much a thing of the past. There are no excuses for it.

The idea that people just get swept along with racist abuse its simply an abdication of responsibility. Those people were scum. Nothing more.

Sadly they were. We can't pick and choose who supports us.

The good news is that it's very much a thing of the past. There are no excuses for it.

The idea that people just get swept along with racist abuse its simply an abdication of responsibility. Those people were scum. Nothing more.

So 12 to 15 year old kids were scum were they? or just kids who didnt know any better?

So 12 to 15 year old kids were scum were they? or just kids who didnt know any better?

12 year olds should know better but then I would assume they're hearing that at home if they're saying sh*t like that, no?

I managed to go to football matches from the age of 9 without racially abusing someone but I'm aware that it's probably a generational thing.

Doesn't mean it's in any way right but I imagine we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm just happy I didn't have to experience that type of atmosphere to watch football.

12 year olds should know better but then I would assume they're hearing that at home if they're saying sh*t like that, no?

I managed to go to football matches from the age of 9 without racially abusing someone but I'm aware that it's probably a generational thing.

Doesn't mean it's in any way right but I imagine we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm just happy I didn't have to experience that type of atmosphere to watch football.

Have to say i think your wrong about kids back then mate that was a time when racism was rife especially on tv, maybe it depended on where you was bought up ect but at 12 kids were & still are in some cases very immature.

When you was a teen did you sing along with the chants about Munich or the Yorkshire ripper for example?

Edited by Carshalton Blue

You only have to think back to early 80s with songs about Auschwitz at Tottenham. It wouldn't be tolerated now but nothing was said back then. Doesn't make it right, but like other things on tv Love thy neighbour, Alf garnett. Insults both ways Were looked upon as humour.

You only have to think back to early 80s with songs about Auschwitz at Tottenham. It wouldn't be tolerated now but nothing was said back then. Doesn't make it right, but like other things on tv Love thy neighbour, Alf garnett. Insults both ways Were looked upon as humour.

Exactly is it any wonder some kids grew up making racist comments at the football.

Have to say i think your wrong about kids back then mate that was a time when racism was rife especially on tv, maybe it depended on where you was bought up ect but at 12 kids were & still are in some cases very immature.

When you was a teen did you sing along with the chants about Munich or the Yorkshire ripper for example?

Munich?? No. I'll leave that to the scousers.

Like I said it's a generational thing. Thankfully.

I'd wager that 99% of the fans on here who slate off the songs that were sang back then are from the 'next generation'.

There was no outcry at the songs back then however sick they were, you just sung along, and they replied with some of their own.

And as for saying 'they were not real Chelsea fans' .... That really makes my blood boil, i'll bet that doesn't come from anyone who stood on the terraces in the 70's in the pissing rain watching us getting thumped every week !!

It's easy to look back and criticize how it was then.. You weren't there, so (sorry to be blunt) what the f**k do you know about it ??? 
As has been said earlier, it was just a different time and social outlook on many things (not just racism), thankfully (especially with racism) times have changed and black players no longer have to suffer such indignities.

Here's a perfect example of what was acceptable generally in society NOT JUST AT FOOTBALL, this was taken as light hearted fun, shown on general release in cinemas, also made the top 10 of the top 40, no one battered an eyelid, and Joe Brown and Marty Wilde were considered  'lovable cockney's'.. Imagine what would happen now !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWf21BwXLFg&spfreload=10

Edited by chelseablueboy