Streaming Services

Gem

Anyone here stream Netflix, Amazon Video (or whatever it’s called) and/or NowTV?

If you don't - do it, especially the former. No contracts on any of them for one and with Netflix you get a month’s free trial & NowTV gives you a month’s free trial on the movie package. I don't know if it eats into your data allowance as I have unlimited so I’ve never needed to worry… but if it doesn’t (someone more technical than I will be able to tell you) then I can’t recommend this way of viewing enough. I have Netflix and buy a NowTV Sports package as and when. With the shows that are becoming exclusively available on Netflix (Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, Better Call Saul and many more) I’m not sure how Sky/BT/Virgin packages can continue to charge a pretty extortionate amount for their packages.

Netflix is £7/8 a month (£8 is HD) I think and NowTV's Sky Sports package is either £7 a day pass or £11 for a week.

Got a Netflix account which I've absolutely rinsed. 

I find it's not very good for films as their selection is pretty naff for the most part but the TV shows is excellent.

Through Netflix I've watched all 9 available seasons of Always Sunny in Philadelphia which is very funny, all seasons of the American Office (starts a bit iffy but gets much better), 3 seasons of Archer (very funny), Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Sons of Anarchy. 

It's Kids section is great for my son who is forever watching Power Rangers on there but I'm quite partial to a bit of Adventure Time myself. 

I find it very good value for money especially as there are no adverts. 

I've used Amazon Prime Video (pinched my brother in laws account log in) but I don't like it personally, it's not a great selection and the navigation is awful. 

Got a Netflix account which I've absolutely rinsed. 

I find it's not very good for films as their selection is pretty naff for the most part but the TV shows is excellent.

Through Netflix I've watched all 9 available seasons of Always Sunny in Philadelphia which is very funny, all seasons of the American Office (starts a bit iffy but gets much better), 3 seasons of Archer (very funny), Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Sons of Anarchy. 

It's Kids section is great for my son who is forever watching Power Rangers on there but I'm quite partial to a bit of Adventure Time myself.

I find it very good value for money especially as there are no adverts. 

I've used Amazon Prime Video (pinched my brother in laws account log in) but I don't like it personally, it's not a great selection and the navigation is awful. 

Yes! I love it haha.

I get Netflix for either £7 or £8 a month, the HD version where 2 people can watch it at the same time. I share that with 3 others, family members and girlfriend so its just a couple of quid each and there are never more than 2 of us watching so we can watch whenever we want.  

I use it mainly for TV shows, I've watched Breaking Bad and am currently watching Better Call Saul and House of Cards. I also use it to just watch an episode of TV shows I first watched on TV, like the Inbetweeners, Robin Hood or misfits.

The film section is still decent, always new additions and I regularly watch a film on there before bed connecting my Xbox to the TV so it's top quality.

I have a free trial for Amazon Prime which I keep meaning to use as I want to start The Walking Dead.

Unfortunately not, I think Sky Box Sets has it though. I just watch it on watchonlinefree.tv 

I will be asking you to send me a link to that, please, Richard, once Season Five starts.   :bow:

I like Netflix. The choice of films is quite limited but for TV and stand-up comedy I find it's well worth the money.

I've started watching an Australian show I found on Netflix called Danger 5 and highly recommend it. It's a kind of Gerry Anderson style parody thing set in WW2 with Nazis and spys and is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen (but in a good way).

For stuff that isn't on Netflix I use the Showtime and Popcorn time apps on my tablet. They have a much greater choice of films and TV but are not always as reliable since they're not entirely legit...

NowTV is also very handy for the odd football match thanks to the day/week passes.

Just signed up to NowTv's 30 day free trial for their Sky Movies package.

I have Netflix but their movie collection isn't the greatest. They do have excellent tv though: House of Card, Breaking Bad and OITNB, Better Call Saul, Fargo, It's Only Sunny, Sons of Anarchy etc. Couldn't live without it!

I recently cancelled my Amazon Instant/Prime or whatever it was called. Slow, sluggish and as someone else said, navigation is dreadful.

Just signed up to NowTv's 30 day free trial for their Sky Movies package.

I have Netflix but their movie collection isn't the greatest. They do have excellent tv though: House of Card, Breaking Bad and OITNB, Better Call Saul, Fargo, It's Only Sunny, Sons of Anarchy etc. Couldn't live without it!

I recently cancelled my Amazon Instant/Prime or whatever it was called. Slow, sluggish and as someone else said, navigation is dreadful.

paying for movies is a no no, movietube.cc

just go and have a look, it just comes up with a list of films and has a search bar, in cinema, most popular etc,  its got an app so you can download stuff to ipads etc, its got stuff like, focus the new will smith film on.  the other day i watched godzilla with bryan cranston which has been on there for about 6 months that i just forgot about seeing, and that has not long gone on sky movies. some will have subtitles or be low quality, but there can be 4 or 5  files on there. focus the will smith film was on there before it came out in the uk. it's safe as well. 

just go and have a look, it just comes up with a list of films and has a search bar, in cinema, most popular etc,  its got an app so you can download stuff to ipads etc, its got stuff like, focus the new will smith film on.  the other day i watched godzilla with bryan cranston which has been on there for about 6 months that i just forgot about seeing, and that has not long gone on sky movies. some will have subtitles or be low quality, but there can be 4 or 5  files on there. focus the will smith film was on there before it came out in the uk. it's safe as well.

Thanks mate, I'll give it whirl.

Can anybody explain - in idiots terms - How Chromecast works?

I watch stuff online on my iPad and laptop but want to watch it on my TV.

It's a nice TV, 46inch LED but not a smart TV, So I've tried running it through a HDMI but the quality is pretty poor.

I am thinking of going the wireless route.....?

Can anybody explain - in idiots terms - How Chromecast works?

I watch stuff online on my iPad and laptop but want to watch it on my TV.

It's a nice TV, 46inch LED but not a smart TV, So I've tried running it through a HDMI but the quality is pretty poor.

I am thinking of going the wireless route.....?

same principle as wireless headphones, plug it into the back of the t.v and link it to your p.c.

Do you need the app installed for Chromecast on the iPad? And what's the picture and sound quality like?

I'm on android but I assume it's the same as for IOS. Most apps like iPlayer/Netflix, etc. that support Chromecast will detect if there's a Chromecast connected to the network, and all you have to do is select the 'send to Chromecast' option in the supported app. You only really need the Chromecast app to set it up when you first get it (or you can use a computer with Chrome installed), or if you want to mirror your tablet/phone screen on the TV.

Picture and sound quality are great, pretty much the same quality you would get if you were watching the same streams on a computer.

I'm on android but I assume it's the same as for IOS. Most apps like iPlayer/Netflix, etc. that support Chromecast will detect if there's a Chromecast connected to the network, and all you have to do is select the 'send to Chromecast' option in the supported app. You only really need the Chromecast app to set it up when you first get it (or you can use a computer with Chrome installed), or if you want to mirror your tablet/phone screen on the TV.

Picture and sound quality are great, pretty much the same quality you would get if you were watching the same streams on a computer.

I connect my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable, is the Chromecast just a wireless way to do the same?

I've started watching an Australian show I found on Netflix called Danger 5 and highly recommend it. It's a kind of Gerry Anderson style parody thing set in WW2 with Nazis and spys and is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen (but in a good way).

Watching it now, it's silly but good.

paying for movies is a no no, movietube.cc

Serious question - would you shoplift if you could get away with it ?

I'm probably in a minority of one here, but I won't stream or download anything without paying through the same principle that I won't shoplift, punch someone in the face in the street, or steal cars.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

I'm surprised the mods accept some of the posts on here in regards to streaming.

More on topic - agree with Netflix. Poor selection of films but some other good content.

I connect my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable, is the Chromecast just a wireless way to do the same?

Ah but it's a much cooler, sort-of-futuristic way of doing things.

Watching it now, it's silly but good.

I'm started on the second season now and even sillier than the first, which I wouldn't have believed possible.

I'm probably in a minority of one here, but I won't stream or download anything without paying through the same principle that I won't shoplift, punch someone in the face in the street, or steal cars.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

I'm surprised the mods accept some of the posts on here in regards to streaming.

More on topic - agree with Netflix. Poor selection of films but some other good content.

no i wouldn't shoplift, i have enough money not to need to, yes i would punch someone in the face in the street, i did yesterday , when two yoots rugby tackled me in the street, while i was sitting on my moped and took a fancy to riding it and taking my phone as i was reading google maps, i have a car and a moped so why would i need to steal a car? it's an all round stupid question. i download or stream films because i don't like people  arsing about in cinema's and if i want go to the toilet in the middle of a film i can stop it and go.  

so you don't stream football then, when it is not available in this country?

Archived