Valencia vs Chelsea , second leg

abramovich

OK, I'll start.

-----------------------CECH--------------------------

DIARRA-------TERRY---CARVALHO-------A.COLE

--------------------MAKELELE------------------------

-------ESSIEN-------------------BALLACK----------

.........................KALOU..................................

.........DROGBA.............SHEVCHENKO..............

Guest Sindre

Where is Lamps?

Lampard must surely play this match. He is our best midfielder when it comes to goals and switch him with Ballack and Mikel with Maka and i agree with your team.

But Lampard must start. I think he will be the player who send us through to the semifinals with an earky goal 128.gif

Mikel has been fantastic the last games and i see no point by replacing him with Makelele.

it's a big call roman, but I wouldn't argue too much about it. maka's experience will surely be needed, never mind everything else he brings. very difficult to drop lamps. kalou has been looking bright, and though he had a poor game against spurs I would hope he starts... I expect the diamond from jose, with kalou losing out. sheva and ballack were both rested so there is no question they will start, likewise cashley and diarra. still, I'll name the side I want to see... when push comes to shove, I'd keep lamps in, obi mikel the unlucky one to miss out... not that he deserves it really. still, he's on the bench, and will likely come on at some stage... maybe for ballack, should he tire towards the end.

essien isn't fit right? seems a bit of a risk to throw him back in from the start even if he were.

.........................................cech

diarra..............carvalho...................terry...............bridge

........................................maka

.....................ballack.........................lampard

.....................................................................kalou

...........................drogba..............sheva

In the BPL I have gone for

paulo..............carvalho...................terry...............A Cole

.SWP.....................................................................

My thinking being that Jose will be looking for width on both sides and therefore SWP gives us it on the right and Cole on the left, but he will not be so bold as to not provide protection behind SWP so Paulo starts.

Where is Lamps?

Lampard must surely play this match. He is our best midfielder when it comes to goals and switch him with Ballack and Mikel with Maka and i agree with your team.

But Lampard must start. I think he will be the player who send us through to the semifinals with an earky goal 128.gif

Mikel has been fantastic the last games and i see no point by replacing him with Makelele.

I know Lamps will start. I just felt he was quite poor lately and was getting games rather on his reputation than current form. He is important to the team and i do hope he'll turn it around and play like Lampard of old. We can surely use his goalscoring ability tomorrow at Mestala.

The point of replacing Mikel with Maka is simple: i'd rather go with the world of experience than a 19 year old emerging talent at holding midfielder position when facing one of the best sides in Europe at their home ground known for its intimidating atmosphere and where they hardly ever lose. We'll need to defend very well and Maka is still one of the best in business.

The point of replacing Mikel with Maka is simple: i'd rather go with the world of experience than a 19 year old emerging talent at holding midfielder position when facing one of the best sides in Europe at their home ground known for its intimidating atmosphere and where they hardly ever lose. We'll need to defend very well and Maka is still one of the best in business.

totally agree

Is Essien fit ? If so:

GEREMI-------TERRY---CARVALHO-------A.COLE

-------ESSIEN-------BALLACK-----LAMPARD------

-------------DROGBA----------KALOU--------------

If not, replace Essien with Mikel.

Geremi is there, because while he's only decent defending...he's perhaps the best we've got going forward to go along with a powerfull shot, AND Vicente is out...so I don't think there will be much of a threat in the left side of Valencia (?)

I have to say that one of my biggest fears is that we'll conceed a very soft goal on a free kick.

The reason that worries me in this game when it doesn't usually bother me is that on the television coverage I saw of the first leg there was some coverage from a camera looking over Jose' shoulder where it was possible to read his notes. Among his comments that I was able to read were instructions for the wall to jump. If I could read that then I am sure someone from Valencia could read it as well and they might decide to direct a free kick along the ground straight at the wall. I am very surprised that there was not more of a fuss made over those notes. There was also an instruction to 'win three yards' when we win a free kick. I would have thought a clear instruction like that would have caused a stir in the press, but there wasn't anything. I guess then that maybe not everyone saw the same pictures from the first game that I did.

DIARRA-------TERRY---CARVALHO-------BRIDGE

-------ESSIEN-------------------BALLACK----------

.........................KALOU..................................

.........DROGBA.............SHEVCHENKO..............

Essien yes if fit , agree there . Lampard wont be dropped and his ability to get us goals will be a major factor in his selection.

Personally i think he should sit this one out , at least until we see how the game is going .

Still think were vulnerable at the back at times , not as sturdy as we once were with Gallas .

No ones got Mikel in their starting line up dispite his performance in the first leg.............interesting.

If he injured?, suspended?

I agree. IMO Mikel should be given the holding midfield role because in this game we have to score goals, therefore we have to go on the offensive. I prefer Mikel to Maka for his distribution of defence splitting passes.

Come on Chelsea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it will be:

....................Cech...............

Diarra.....Carvalho....JT.............Cole

.......................Maka..........................

........Mikel.....Lampard....Ballack..........

.............Sheva.......Drogba.................

With Essien coming off the bench for Mikel after we have the goal that we need.

1-0 to Chelsea.

I think it will be:

....................Cech...............

Diarra.....Carvalho....JT.............Cole

.......................Maka..........................

........Mikel.....Lampard....Ballack..........

.............Sheva.......Drogba.................

With Essien coming off the bench for Mikel after we have the goal that we need.

1-0 to Chelsea.

The same for me, Essien is on the bench alongside Kalou and J.Cole.

I`m unsure about whom would substitute Essien, coming off the bench.

New Game`s name: Guess the plan "B" for 2 situations(in 2nd half):

1) We are winning or just have a score, which is enough to qualify

2) We aren`t qualifying right now and we must score...

For me:

1) Essien for Mikel or Ballack, depending on their perfomance, to make more interceptions, hard tackles and make things much more difficult for Valencia;

J.Cole for Sheva, to provide more pressure from flanks, to prevent Val`s FB overlappings;

3rd subst is any for wasting time purposes. Must be made around 90 min.

2) Essien for Diarra at RB position;

J.COle for Maka or Mikel, depending on fitness and perfomance. If it`s Maka then Mikel shifts to holding midfielder position.

3) "Gung - Ho". Kalou for Mikel, Ballack or Lampard and crosses into box for Drogba, Ballack, Sheva challenging for the ball and Kalou, Joey fkicking on, Lampard is outside the area for another deflection....

The key for us tonight is simply to score the first goal. That'll take away Valencias advantage (their goal at the Bridge) and it will put a little pressure on them. Also it will give us some confidence and hopefully make us score another one to force Valencia to score three (which will be really difficult for them).

But if they do get the first goal, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference as we have to score at least 1 whatever. I'm worried that if we do get a goal early on and have the 1-0 scoreline we're after, we'll try and shut up shop and I don't think I can stand that.

Whatever happens, I do hope we don't start with a midfield of Maka, Lamps, Ballack & Essien, because that doesn't work - not unless they start, keep it at 0-0 and then we bring on SWP/Kalou/Joe to win it for us.

But if they do get the first goal, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference as we have to score at least 1 whatever. I'm worried that if we do get a goal early on and have the 1-0 scoreline we're after, we'll try and shut up shop and I don't think I can stand that.

Whatever happens, I do hope we don't start with a midfield of Maka, Lamps, Ballack & Essien, because that doesn't work - not unless they start, keep it at 0-0 and then we bring on SWP/Kalou/Joe to win it for us.

Yeah, we still have to have a goal in the game. And, as you say, if they score the first goal they can sit back and defend which will make it alot harder for us to score our goal.

In the beginning the game will be quite open. Valencia can play for 0-0 but I doubt they'll start the game by sitting back and defend. The game will be open enough for us to take the lead.

It's one goal. One crucial goal.

If they take the lead then I hope they'll do it early in the game. Atleast that would give us time to fight back. They might be able to defend for one half but not two.

I'm starting to get a bit nervous for the game. I was strangely calm before the first game and even before our game against Spurs this weekend but now I'm starting to get some butterflies in my stomach and they're all throwing up.

scarf.gif

Robben and perhaps Essien are injured but we can nearly pick our strongest line up.

Cech

Diarra/Essien Carvalho Terry Cole

That's the easy part. We need width but SWP isn't getting a start so I'm tempted to go with Joe Cole

JC Maka, Ballack Lampard

then Sheva and Drogba.

Frankly Mikel and Kalou could also start but Mikel is too central in a team full of central midfielders and Kalou hasn't done quite enough.

This will be as hard as any game we play this season. Come on Chelsea

In the BPL I have gone for

paulo..............carvalho...................terry...............A Cole

.SWP.....................................................................

My thinking being that Jose will be looking for width on both sides and therefore SWP gives us it on the right and Cole on the left, but he will not be so bold as to not provide protection behind SWP so Paulo starts.

I think that we will see that as well, though I don't think it will be Sweepy, but Kalou instead. Yes, despite his performance at Spurs.

Maka must play though, IMO, he is so experienced and knowledgable, especially for a match like this. I am even wearing my Maka shirt especially for this occasion, I have high hopes!

I would love to see Joey be subsituted on at some point, as well as Essien. Preferably with more than enough time to make an impact.

Edit: Despite the quality of Mikel, and utter shock of how horrible Lamps has been lately, I think we will only be seeing Mikel as a sub. Most unfortunately.

PC , diarra , terry , cara , cole , mikel , ballack , lampard , essien , sehva , drogba

Its bizarre. I though Maka would definitley play tonight. No slight on JOM of course its just im sure his experience wouldve been invaluable. Still its been a long time since Cech, JT and Essien have been in the same XI together.

You do get the feeling a lack of creativity might cost us. Do we have a subs line up ?

Mustve missed the headlines when we signed Carragher though!