2004- present day, signings without a league title, can you name them? (no cheating)

Argo

Im bored at work so i thought i'd do this and also gives others in the same boat something to do.

Thanks to our five PL titles being quite spread out not that many players have come and gone from the club since 2004 without a league medal around their neck, in fact out of players we signed and put straight into the first team, there's only 27 and 4 of them were backup keepers. After debating whether or not to with myself i won't count players that were signed for the academy or instantly went out on loan, just signings made and put immediately in the first team, i felt it would get a bit confusing if we added the likes of Kalas and Jacob Mellis to the fray.

I'd break it down a bit more and say only 16 of them didn't get one because they never played in a title winning season while the other 11 did but unfortunately didn't make enough appearances for a medal.

Can you (without cheating) name all those 27 players? Starting with the first 16 who never played in a title winning season then followed by the 11 who didn't make enough apps.

To add a further question to that, out of those players, how many of those made up for not winning a PL with us by getting a CL medal in Munich? 

Put the answers in spoilers and ill reveal them myself in a day or two

Torres, Shevchenko (?), Bosingwa (or did he win it with Carlo?), Raul Miereles, Maniche, Ba, Pizzaro, Sidwell, Sullivan, Turnbull, Mata, Ben Haim, Eto’o

Russian midfielder who we sent on loan to Birmingham, his name escapes me...

Zhirkov (?)

That’s what I can rattle off from the top of my head 

Shevchenko, Zhirkov, Cuadrado, Lukaku, Sturridge, Djilobodji, Eto'o, Rahman, Salah, De Bruyne, Marin, Torres, Turnbull, Mata, Meirelles

That's all I could remember and I'm not entirely sure it's all accurate. Didn't realise how hard it would be to remember.

4 minutes ago, Barrettinator said:

Shevchenko, Zhirkov, Cuadrado, Lukaku, Sturridge, Djilobodji, Eto'o, Rahman, Salah, De Bruyne, Marin, Torres, Turnbull, Mata, Meirelles

That's all I could remember and I'm not entirely sure it's all accurate. Didn't realise how hard it would be to remember.

Zhirkov and Sturridge 2009/10 Champions

Ill do the full list but i'd answer the already posted now and adress a few individual answers. If your still to do it don't read on haha.

1 hour ago, mad_mac said:

Remind me again how to do a "spoiler" post.

Might aswell not now as no one else has used them :laugh2:

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Torres, Shevchenko (?), Bosingwa (or did he win it with Carlo?), Raul Miereles, Maniche, Ba, Pizzaro, Sidwell, Sullivan, Turnbull, Mata, Ben Haim, Eto’o

Russian midfielder who we sent on loan to Birmingham, his name escapes me...

Zhirkov (?)

That’s what I can rattle off from the top of my head 

Bosingwa didn't play enough games to qualify under Carlo however Jarosik (the Russian midfielder) did under Mou.

39 minutes ago, Barrettinator said:

I didn't count KDB as he went on loan first, if i included him i would have had to Kalas, Mellis, Izzy Brown etc al and it would have turned too confusing. Cuadrado played enough games to get a medal in 2015.

Did Kezman play enough?  Also we binned Mutu so i'm sure he's on that list too. And i'm trying to remember if Del Horno played enough at LB to secure a medal.

Bosingwa and Mata and Torres all got CL medals but no PL medal.

What about Ballack, don't think he did with us either. FA Cup, yes, but think we signed him and Boulahrouz in the total managerial merry-go-round before Carlo won it in 2010

Belletti (?), Alex, De Santo, Deco (?), Miniero, Quaresma, 

Sorry for being super late in giving the answers, between work and the UT world cup coming out i have been super busy.

I actually made a mistake and forgot about two players, Miazga and Pato, i forgot the former actually played for us before being loaned out and truth be told i forgot about the latter full stop. So as well as those two here is the list.

Nuno Morais (2 apps in 04/05 so didn't get a medal)

Maniche (8 apps in 05/06 so didn't get a medal)

Lassana Diarra (not enough apps for a medal in 05/06)

Shevchenko (1 app in 09/10 which wasn't enough for a medal)

Boulahrouz 

Pizarro

Ben Haim

Sidwell

Bosingwa (didn't qualify for a medal in 09/10)

Minero

Quaresma

Benayoun 

Torres

Romeu

Lukaku

Mata

Meireles

Marin

Van Ginkel

Eto'o

Salah (not enough apps in 14/15)

Djilobodji (he made an appearance for us believe it or not)

Kenedy (1 app in 16/17)

Hilario

Turnbull

Schwarzer

Baba

Begovic

The one's in underline is the answer to the last question, ala which of the players made up for not winning the PL by winning the CL.

Archived