Chelsea finals

BLUENUT

Abide with me people!!

So who's been lucky enough to see us play in a final, lets face it, there haven't been many over the years.

My 1st Chelsea final at Wembley was when we played Man City in the full members cup as a kid, that was followed by Boro in the Zenith Data Cup final, (same competition, it had a sponser 2nd time around, who were Zenith data anyway??)

I was lucky enough to attend the semi against Luton in 94, but was one of those unlucky members who couldn't get a ticket for the final, seeing as we got done 4-0 it wasn't such a shame to miss it with hindsight. icon_sad.gif

I attended the next one, without doubt the greatest day I've ever has as a Chelsea supporter, the final victory against Boro, then went and watched us beat them in the league cup the following year. I was at the last ever Wembley final when we beat Aston Villa, after beating Newcastle at Wembley in the semi. In more recent years I've travelled to Cardiff to see us beaten by Arsenal in the FA cup, then sweet revenge as we beat them this year in the league cup. Including Liverpool in the Cardiff league cup I make it 6 Chelsea finals for me in the past 10 years. Amazing really, and I haven't included the UEFA CWC win in Stuttgart as I couldn't attend.

I have been to every Charity shield we've qualified for, well we only started getting there in 94 after losing final to Utd. Are there any oldies who saw us win it at Old Trafford? My dad went to that one but I was merely a twinkle in his eye at the time icon_wink.gif

Has anyone been lucky to attend the lot??

Finals are special, I'm counting down to 19th of May already!

Cmon you blues!

The first Chelsea Cup Final for me like many other was the Full Members in 1986. What a day. I felt like we had won the European Cup afterwards!

I didnt make the Zenith Data in 1990.

The Luton semi in 94 was a great, great day. The two things that stand out for me are the male streaker with 2 mins to go go and the whole Chelsea end singing 'theres only one Kerry Dixon' as he left the pitch.

The Final as i have mentioned on the FA Cup Final Man Utd vs Chelsea thread was quite simply the most painful football experience of my life. Dont get me started on Peacocks shot, because i will not stop. A horrid day. See the pic i posted on that thread btw.

97 on the other hand was magic and contained my all time favorite Chelsea moment. Im sure i dont need to spell it out for you.

I didnt make the Carling Cup Final in 98 but was in Stockholm for the CWC Final. In fact part of me is still there at the airport waiting for a plane. A great, but very long day!

I missed the 2000 semi againt the Jimmy Nails but was at the Final. A truly dreadful game but who cares. I missed the 2002 Cup Final and the 2005 Carling Cup but was there to see us beat the Gooners in Feb of this year. Cardiff wont be missed.

Ive been to 2 Charity Shields - in 1997 where we lost on pens to the Mancs and in 2005 where the Drog mauled the Gunners. I said after that i would never go to another Charity Shield because they are simply glorified friendlies but if we are there at Wembley in August im sure i will think again.

The only time I've actually ever seen us at Wembley were against Stoke in '72. Not that I had a ticket. I was with most of the 'erberts outside for most of the game, until shortly after half time we managed to force one of the gates open and in we went. One of the biggest disappointments of my life was seeing George Eastham score their winner.

I was also at the Full Members Trophy against Man City in '86 but didn't actually get to see the game. As soon as I'd paid my money and gone through the turnstiles, 3 or 4 old bill pounced on me, dragged me off and threw me into the cells leaving me to cool off until well after the match had finished. I'd had a few but wasn't falling down drunk or anything, so I'm guessing I must have upset one of them somehow. I never did find out who or why, but broke (make that shattered) my knee on the way back from Wembley nick, tripping over in the dark while taking a short cut through a building site.

A happier Wembley memory was the Sunderland Leeds FA Cup final. I was hanging around outside Wembley stadium with a few other Chelsea fans and an acquired Sunderland scarf round my neck when this bloke came up to me. "hey man you gor a ticket?" he says, to which I replied in my best Macam "No man" ... "here yare lad" says he, handing me a ticket for the Leeds end. I was lucky not to get battered during the first half, but at half time I managed to get round to the Sunderland end. It's always nice seeing Leeds lose, and it was magic when they scored. I jumped up and down with the rest of them, going mental.

I'd had a few but wasn't falling down drunk or anything
shattered) my knee on the way back from Wembley nick, tripping over in the dark while taking a short cut through a building site.

I think thats answers it's own questions mate icon_lol.gif

I'd had a few but wasn't falling down drunk or anything
shattered) my knee on the way back from Wembley nick, tripping over in the dark while taking a short cut through a building site.

I think thats answers it's own questions mate icon_lol.gif

That was on the way BACK from the nick!!!!

The only time I've actually ever seen us at Wembley were against Stoke in '72. Not that I had a ticket. I was with most of the 'erberts outside for most of the game, until shortly after half time we managed to force one of the gates open and in we went. One of the biggest disappointments of my life was seeing George Eastham score their winner.

That's a coincidence, that was the only time I've ever been to Wembley!

I got in early, and enjoyed the atmosphere, if not the game. We'd been knocked out of the FA Cup by Orient the previous week after being 2-0 up, and I'm sure that shattered our confidence. We didn't play at all well against Stoke, but at least I saw Ossie score a goal while virtually lying down - against Gordon Banks, too! It all kicked off outside afterwards, naturally, and there must have been a fair few drafty journeys home for the Stoke fans after loads of their coaches had their windows put through.

I managed to bunk off school in 1970 (I was about 12) and watch the FA Cup Final replay at Old Trafford. Couldn't get a ticket for the first game, but managed to get hold of one for the replay while on the train to Manchester. What a night that was! woohoo.gif

Both Full Members Cups, 94 final (cried on the way home). both FA cup finals in recent years, Carling Cup final agains tthe Scallies 2 years ago, Stockholm for the Cup Winners Cup, Super Cup in Monaco.

Luton for the semi was good, but nothing beats the semi (as semis go) against the Dons at Highbury, just knew it was a cup in the bag after that and a gorgeous day and great goals.

The only time I've actually ever seen us at Wembley were against Stoke in '72.

Excuse me quoting myself, but anyway. I forgot about the Charity Shield (the clue is in "the only time" and "were) against the Mancs, a bloody awful day, and not just because we lost. My leg was slaughtering me, even in an aisle seat, not helped by getting up and down repeatedly for "Stand up if you hate Man U", and by the end of the game it was a miracle I could still walk. That was the only time I went to Wembley after the terraces were done away with. I suppose there's an outside possibility that I might one day manage to get to the new Wembley, and if I ever do, I only hope the seats are a little less cramped.

Which brings me to another point. There's been a bit of talk recently about allowing a limited amount of terraces. I don't go anymore but would be very interested to know the thoughts of people who do.

The return to limited terraces has been discussed before on here (I will see if I can find it for you Lofty). Personally I think it is workable however I don't expect to ever see it happen and incidents like the one in Rome a couple of weeks ago will only reinforce the argument for those that are against it. That happened in an area which is basically terracing.

The return to limited terraces has been discussed before on here (I will see if I can find it for you Lofty). Personally I think it is workable however I don't expect to ever see it happen and incidents like the one in Rome a couple of weeks ago will only reinforce the argument for those that are against it. That happened in an area which is basically terracing.

Thanks for the link. Very quickly - sadly I think you're right. I doubt very much whether we'll ever see the return of the terraces, but (just my opinion) mainly for all the wrong reasons.

My first ever Chelsea match was against WBA (home) 17 April '65, we drew 2-2 after leading 2-0 (should've learned something that day!) so I have been fortunate (or otherwise) enough to have experienced all but one of the clubs finals one way or another, I can vividly recall my first major disappointment as a Chelsea fan, and that was listening to the S/F defeat V Liverpool at Villa park the same month.

Since then it has been a roller-coaster ride which I am sure many of you older heads have shared, so lets clip on the seat-belts and go for a quick spin.

After that Liverpool defeat we had to endure a similar fate at the same round & venue 12 months later also by a 0-2 scoreline, where once again I had to make do with my ear pressed against a crackly transistor, but then the following year the dream finally became a reality, when my older brother (Kev) managed to obtain a couple of tickets for our 3rd S/F on the trot, this time it was V Leeds, and again at Villa park, this time at long last we came out winners 1-0 courtesy of a superb header from Tony Hateley (about the only worthwhile thing he ever did for us), although we had to endure an agonising 2nd half we clung on.

Then,we had our big day out spoiled 1-2 in the first ever all London final against the spuds, maybe that is where my loathing of them comes from, as they made a 12 year old kid weep buckets all the short journey home back to Willesden, then 3yrs later came our moment, apart from the obvious delight of winning the trophy that year, it is also the first year that I attended every match in every round, as we played all our games in London, home, home, Palace, QPR, with the s/f at 3 point lane,(the pitch was like the Sahara that day) the two games against Leeds have gone into Chelsea folklore so all I will mention of these is that on the way to O/T our car broke down and we eventually got inside the ground just as the teams had lined up for kick off,and God! did it kick off?

The following year it was the ECWC that we added to our collection with that unforgettable night in Athens, Will never forget how my brother and I badgered our parents to let me go on that trip (I was 16 and had never been abroad before) but they finally gave in and we were on our way, the first game against the mighty Real Madrid (to be fair they weren't THAT mighty by this stage but still very formidable opponents) was all but won thanks to an Ossie goal when they equalised in the last seconds of normal time,we then had to endure 30 minutes of sheer agony before it finished 1-1. as luck would have it we were able to stay on for the replay as we had booked the trip as a weeks holiday, so two nights later we again gathered in the Karaiskaki Stadium for a momentous night in Chelsea history with goals from John Dempsey & Ossie giving us a 2-1 win, Kev and I made it onto the track surrounding the pitch and with about 50 or so other fans joined in the lap of honour for about a minute or so before being ushered away by Greek police, this is still one of my greatest ever Chelsea memories and one I will always cherish.

The following year it was Wembley again (it was starting to feel like our 2nd home) for Stoke in the league cup final, I had to miss out on this one due to the flu but listened on the radio (no live TV then except for the FACF) after losing 1-2 needless to say I was sniffing & snuffling even more than the flu would permit. then!........................................

"THE WILDERNESS YEARS"

..................Moving swiftly on to 1986, and that much loved and lamented competition, "The Full Members Cup" come on ! we would settle for anything by this stage, and so it was off to Wembley for the first time in 14 long horrible years that would have tested the mettle of any supporter, a great day out , a full stadium and a 5-4 victory over Man City that included a David Speedie hat trick, it's funny to look back on now, but I remember a lump swelling up in my throat as I watched Patesie lead the team up the steps to receive the trophy, after all here was the first Chelsea captain to perform this feat at the famous stadium (discounting the war time cup final south) we were back!!!!

Two years later we were, same comp' different sponsor this time "The Zenith Data Systems trophy" we were still taking anything that came our way at this stage, and if it meant a day out at Wembley into the bargain we would grab it with both hands, the game against 'boro was a yawnathon with only Tony Dorigo's winning free kick to remember it by. it would be another 6 years before our next cup final and that is one that still haunts me to this day, after the great day at the s/f against Luton and giving King Kerry a great ovation (a Luton player that day) we endured what I am sure for many of us will be right up there alongside several relegation's, as our worst ever Chelsea memory, I wont even mention what happened that day as it STILL hurts, but suffice to say I was glad of the downpour that day as it helped hide the tears.

Sadly that was my last time seeing us live in a cup final as I have since been in the pub trade working in Devon, not the best combo for being able to get to big games on a Saturday but as we a a "footie" pub with giant screen TVs etc I have been able to enjoy our triumphs (and the odd blip) to some degree while pulling pints and I look forward to the chance of us putting right what once went wrong, next month in the new stadium against the Mancs.

Please excuse me if I have gone on a bit but once you start it's difficult to know when to stop, it's been a long old road since that crackly radio s/f back in '65, but it's one I have loved travelling along, and lets all hope that road continues becoming a motorway with the "Blue Juggernaut" steaming along for many years to come.

"COME ON THE CHELS!" cheer.gif

Please excuse me if I have gone on a bit

Dont be silly mate, you havent 'gone on' enough as far as i am concerned!

Heres hoping Wembley 07 gives us more memroies to cherish. Just gutted i wont be there to see them unfold.