worst performance of the season

The Brit

an absolute disgrace...no fight, no passion, no will to win, no bottle...words I thought I'd never use for this team, but they played as if nothing was at stake...was their eye more on liverpool than newcastle, who are a sh*te side and were there for the taking...waited so longh for utd to slip and then we play like that...i'm fuming 1064.gif

It's time for Lampard to see who he really is. Scoring doesnt make him a better player. He cant pass, cant cross, cant tackle anymore. Just running around like a headless chicken. Everyone forgets that because he scores or/and we win. But everytime we dont win, he's always the worst player.

Sorry Brit but you are over-reacting in a "talking bollox" sort of way. There have been several worse performances than that - Reading , Foolham, Scousers to name but a few

no mate you're talking bollox...I saw more fight in those games, plus we were heavily understrength at the time...we had pretty much our best team availaible minus carvalho and showed no desire at all...we're going for the league not 10th

It's time for Lampard to see who he really is. Scoring doesnt make him a better player. He cant pass, cant cross, cant tackle anymore. Just running around like a headless chicken. Everyone forgets that because he scores or/and we win. But everytime we dont win, he's always the worst player.

Can't agree with that, but recently, and especially today, he was f***in awful

That's a load of crap. Lampard was a lot better today than in previous games but he was dead tired at the end- could barely walk.

Sorely missed Essien at RB or midfield. Paulo Ferreira is utter sh*te, I'm not sure we didn't sign his evil twin instead.

The problem was Makelele. He just isn't up to IMO, looks terrible un-match fit from his lack of game time. His passing was the worst out of our midfielders and that is saying a lot given that he usually is the best on the pitch. I think either Mikel or Essien should start over him now...

Ok I've calmed down a bit now. Worst performance of the season so far? Doubtul. Most disappointing resut of the seaso so far? Yes I think so. We're actually in the same position as if the Mancs had won yesterday and we'd won today. However, the Mancs drew, raising our expectations. Deep down a lot of us expected that we'd win today, and it's this expectation raised by yesterday's result from Old Trafford, that makes today's result feel taht much worse. At least, that's my take on the game. Hugely disappointing yes, but not the end of the world by a long, long way.

Only sing when you're winning? Not me mate.

::Scalf::::Scalf::::Scalf::::Scalf::::Scalf::::Scalf::::Scalf::

maybe not the worst performance of the season but taking into account whats at stake, could well be...

Lampard is far from his best this season but still has contributed so much with the goals that you just cant sub him or leave him out, Ballacks injury made it hard for Jose to use his subs as he may have intended if things were going bad.

that said it was a lak lustre showing and in a game where I thought our boys would be right up for it?

I thought Kalou was terrible in the first half and that Jose had made another special decision when he came out in the second half looking good for ten or fifteen minutes,

Drogs was well shackled by taylor and even Titus had a good game icon_eek.gif

Paulo was poor again and I am one of his admirers, I would have preferred Essien at RB and Boula in the CB position but that still would not have changed the result.

I thought we could really pile on the pressure today but it never happened and Fergie must be rubbing his hands now with the cushion of goal average and the big let off to inspire his team.

gutted but still a great season and a good time to be a Chelsea fan.

Paulo was poor again and I am one of his admirers, I would have preferred Essien at RB and Boula in the CB position but that still would not have changed the result.

What about Diarra?

Btw. Why didn't Diarra play today? Better him than Ferreira icon_mad.gif

What about Diarra?

Its hard as if I had have picked the team I would have picked Paulo, I was thinking Essien as a swap once it was obvious that Milner was having a good time out there, to be honest I think Diarra can do a job at RB but its not his best position and I am starting to think Ferreira is never going to find his early form with us. we might need a new RB after all.

I didn't watch today's game. It's a long story but my bath, it's one of those door opening mobility type of things, has not been working for a while as I couldn't shut the door. I put in a request to the manufacturer to come and fix it and amazingly the guy turned up today to fix it. Everytime I started to settle down to set up the stream, he needed something, or he just wanted to chat (customer relations I think). Anyway, I ended up not seeing even a moment. Reading everyone's comments on here, I'm really glad about it.

It's hard to believe that with so much riding on the game (like the Premiership!) that we blew it so badly. But hey come on chaps, this is Chelsea, this is what we do, it's what we've always done and we still love them - don't we? Anyone who's been around longer than, what the last three seasons, is quite used to this behaviour. Infuriating, annoying, sheer f****** c***ery! But, very Chelsea.

At least when the silicone dries I can go and have a long bath to relieve my stress.

What about Diarra?

Its hard as if I had have picked the team I would have picked Paulo, I was thinking Essien as a swap once it was obvious that Milner was having a good time out there, to be honest I think Diarra can do a job at RB but its not his best position and I am starting to think Ferreira is never going to find his early form with us. we might need a new RB after all.

I think Diarra's been really good as RB. His "real" position is the Maka role but whenever he has played there he's looked quite bad in my oppinion.

A new, world class RB would be good. Johnno seems to be coming back but I'm not so sure he's good enough. Atleast not in the defence.

Another viewpoint on today's performance, from a Newcastle fan on 606:

Fantastic performance from Newcastle today. We just seem to raise our game when we play the big teams.

At the end of the game, their supporters were jumping up and down, hugging each other and celebrating as if they'd won the FA Cup! Some of the players as well, from what I hear. And all this over .... a 0-0 draw at home to the famous CFC. Surely we have to take this as a compliment? Ok it wasn't a good perfermormance by any stretch of the imagination, but the players are tired, tactics maybe not exactly spot on and we didn't have that all-important little bit of luck that could have won us the game.

Of course, a win today would have made winning a third successive Premiership that much easier to achieve, but we're not out of it yet.

Guest Brian M

I don't mind when we draw against a team who matches us at every turn. I don't even mind when we lose to a better side (on the day). That's football. But to play like we did today. With so little creativity. With so little passion. That was just plain embarrassing.

We NEED a Zlatan, a Messi, a Ronaldo (ughhhhhh) a SOMEBODY who can create individual magic on days like today, when the rest of the team is playing like a pub team after a big night out.

Quadruple? Not on this form. Not even close.

The Manure players must be laughing their ars*s off.

Not the worst performance this season, but surely the most disappointing.

For the first time in months the title race was back in our own hands and we blew it.

And we didn't blow it in a blaze of glory, but in a limp, tactically inept and toothless display.

Not once was Harper seriously tested. In fact, I can only recall two reasonable chances for us in the whole match.

Lamps had a mare, DD was effectively policed by Taylor. Titus Bramble looked good. And but for Cech it could have been worse.

Bring on the Scallies.

I don't mind when we draw against a team who matches us at every turn. I don't even mind when we lose to a better side (on the day). That's football. But to play like we did today. With so little creativity. With so little passion. That was just plain embarrassing.

We NEED a Zlatan, a Messi, a Ronaldo (ughhhhhh) a SOMEBODY who can create individual magic on days like today, when the rest of the team is playing like a pub team after a big night out.

Quadruple? Not on this form. Not even close.

The Manure players must be laughing their ars*s off.

You're wrong.

We already have those players. We have Joe Cole(ask Manchester United), Didier Drogba (ask Everton), Essien (ask Valencia) just to name a few. The problem wasn't a lack of individual magic, it was the team working as a whole to allow for that to happen. How many times was Joe Cole allowed to run at the fullbacks one-vs-one? People rave about Ronaldo, he's shown his form this year because his team consistently put him one-vs-one against the fullback. This season, we haven't done that consistently enough, not with Robben, not with Cole, not with Wright-Phillips or Kalou.

Compare this to even a poor side like Newcastle, who consistently had Milner and Dyer running at Bridge and Ferreira.

The moral of this is you cannot rely on individual brilliance to bail you out over a Premiership season. You need to have a good attitude and an effective style of play and the latter was and is sorely lacking. That is the whole reason why it is easier to win than the Cups.

PS:

As for the suggestion of Ibrahimovic, that is ludicrous. If it was he instead of the reformed Drogba today, he would've sulked and got himself sent off. Kalou is just as good as Ibrahimovic, the difference being the latter has a higher profile.

Anyway on a brighter note- I think we are going to thrash Liverpool.

For the first time in months the title race was back in our own hands and we blew it.

And we didn't blow it in a blaze of glory, but in a limp, tactically inept and toothless display.

Not once was Harper seriously tested. In fact, I can only recall two reasonable chances for us in the whole match.

Lamps had a mare, DD was effectively policed by Taylor. Titus Bramble looked good. And but for Cech it could have been worse.

Bring on the Scallies.

12 hours after the end pf the game I have finally calmed down and realised that the title/theme of my heading was maybe wrong...like you and some others have said, it's was more the most disappointing/frustrating performance of the season...i still can't understand, as tired as the players obviously are, why they showed such lowsy passion and desire..i mean what's the point in fighting all those months, all those last minute winners in the hope of a utd slip up, to come out as lifeless and as pathetic as that? after west ham, where we played good footy and showed all the right characteristics, how can we go so far the other way...that's why i wonder whether the champs league is the priority after all

Tell you what chaps, before the season started i would have taken a draw at St James anyday of the week

and just because UTD drew(unexpectedly i may add) we seem to be going a tad overboard about this result.

To be honest, i realy don't expect utd to get maximum points from their 2 away fixtutres (Everton, Man city) but every other game (including Le Arse) i think we will win....

Come on Chelse.

Bring on the Scallies.

12 hours after the end pf the game I have finally calmed down and realised that the title/theme of my heading was maybe wrong...like you and some others have said, it's was more the most disappointing/frustrating performance of the season...i still can't understand, as tired as the players obviously are, why they showed such lowsy passion and desire..i mean what's the point in fighting all those months, all those last minute winners in the hope of a utd slip up, to come out as lifeless and as pathetic as that? after west ham, where we played good footy and showed all the right characteristics, how can we go so far the other way...that's why i wonder whether the champs league is the priority after all

How about this as a thought?

Perhaps the players didn't deliberately go out to play badly. Maybe the strain of constantly having to win to keep pace with Utd took it's toll. Psychcologically it's a different situation having to win at all costs rather than wanting to win. I'm sure that the Utd fans are spouting all the same stuff about losing to Portsmouth and drawing at home to Middlesboro.

I remember after Utd lost at Newcastle - yes, you heard me right, Utd lost at St James' - that we went to Aston Villa and put in a very similar performance to the one yesterday.

Of course I wanted to win and I'm sure all the players did too but it didn't happen. I'm not prepared to be too critical though. To even be where we are now is remarkable given the pressure we have been playing under.

The situation now is that we have 3 home games and 1 away game left. Utd have 3 away and 1 at home. Generally, we have a stronger squad and less injuries than Utd. I think we will both drop points in the last 4 games. Whether we can win it still remains in Utd's hands. 4 wins from us will definitely be enough. 3 wins and a draw might do it but I suspect we will lose on goal difference.

Whatever happens, I think we have done remarkably well - as have Utd. If they do win it then I will have no complaints. I certainly won't be moaning about lack of effort or passion from our players - that would just be absolute bollocks!

football is a passionate game ethical and me being upset about us not doing the business yesterday is about us not performing yesterday and not an inditement of the whole season. You seem quite happy whether we win the title or not, I however am not so ready to raise the white flag and give the trophy back to utd...my frustration yesterday reflects my desperation to win, not sure your post says the same