Added time in the champions League

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

What is it with the lack of added time in champions League games? They rarely add anything in the first half and in the second it's only ever a few minutes. Drives me mad.

In all the extra time (no pun intended) I have on my hands due to "working from home" I've been rewatching our games this season. In the Ajax game at home, I counted 12 minutes of stoppage in the second half at least, and 4 minutes were given. What the hell!!?

Yes, it's a scandal. Refs cannot be trusted to keep accurate track of time, and that Ajax game was absurd.

Time-keeping should be taken out of their hands - they have more than enough to focus on - and the clock should be stopped for substitutions and injuries.

When teams blatantly waste time, the ref should be able to add, say, 30 seconds or longer, so no team profits from time-keeping.

In rugby, NFL and basketball the clock is visible to all spectators, so refs don't have the chance to favour one side by thinking ''I'll just let them have this attack/ corner and see if they score". The other week BT sport reran the classic Manchester derby that finished 4-3, with Owen scoring in the 7th minute of injury time (Fergie-time) after  the board had shown 4 mins. The ref was Atkinson.

It's something I have noticed for a while now. A lot of games I am seeing no time added at all before half time and the ref will even blow a few seconds before 45 minutes are hit. It's like they aren't keeping track of stoppages at all anymore and they just come up with any number in the second half.

32 minutes ago, ddrblue said:

Dont some official that is sat in the stands keep controll of the watch/ clock  in rugby games ? That would solve any time keeping problems 

Yes, the TMO (TV match official) keeps time, under instructions from the ref who calls out 'Time off' to stop the clock and 'Time on' to resume. It's very simple and could easily be brought in to football. 

Coincidentally, BT showed highlights of the Ajax 4-4 today. The double sending off followed by the pen took 2 and a half mins, and the var decision to rule out Azpi's winner took 1m20s. Those two stoppages took up 4 mins on their own. So ending the game after 94mins was a joke, and we should have had several more minutes to play against their 9 men.

Having said that, the second yellow given against them for handball was ridiculously harsh, so we can't really complain.

Incredible game.

6 hours ago, ddrblue said:

Dont some official that is sat in the stands keep controll of the watch/ clock  in rugby games ? That would solve any time keeping problems 

I've thought for a long time now why we havn't adopted the rugby ( and other sports) system, takes all the guess work  and anxiety out of it.

On 19/03/2020 at 19:32, Backbiter said:

No. I think the ref tells him how much time to put up on the board. 

Yeah I think I’m remembering a debate about why the don’t do it instead of the referee. Probably after man united only got an additional 30 minutes Fergie time and still didn’t win. If VAR was I charge Liverpool would be on maximum points!

11 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Yeah I think I’m remembering a debate about why the don’t do it instead of the referee. Probably after man united only got an additional 30 minutes Fergie time and still didn’t win. If VAR was I charge Liverpool would be on maximum points!

I'm surprised the powers that be haven't already brought in the Pools Panel to secure their title ... ?

On 18/03/2020 at 21:56, Shweaves said:

What is it with the lack of added time in champions League games? They rarely add anything in the first half and in the second it's only ever a few minutes. Drives me mad.

In all the extra time (no pun intended) I have on my hands due to "working from home" I've been rewatching our games this season. In the Ajax game at home, I counted 12 minutes of stoppage in the second half at least, and 4 minutes were given. What the hell!!?

That was truly disgusting, there was no way in hell that game was 4 minutes added time, absolutely no way. 

The thing is a better system could be bought into place like as in other sports. 

But then youve got to think VAR was brought in to solve many issues, and all its done is favour the big teams, ie every goal scored against Man Utd being overruled. I just feel if they brought in something for this, somehow they would fond a way to completely balls it up, or to favour the Liverpools and Utds of this world.