Ray Wilkins

bluehaze

Childhood hero of mine and Chelsea legend thought I'd share this story I recently heard. Ray's wife was in hospital giving birth at the same time another expectant father was in the waiting room. Not only did Ray give this guy a lift home after the wives gave birth and he lived in just a normal road the following morning Ray turned up unannounced to pick him up again to give him a lift back to the hospital. Such a nice and classy thing to do they really broke the mould with Ray.

NINTCHDBPICT000396646715.webp

4AF2D79300000578-5591635-There_was_also_a_memorial_to_the_Chelsea_legend_outside_of_the_s-a-2_1523209504415.jpg

Edited by bluehaze

A bit off subject but picture of Ray at the end of his last game for Rangers in 1989. A very emotional send-off. Even though he was at Rangers for a short while he was greatly admired by the fans there. His goal against Celtic in 1988 in the 5-1 win was one of the finest ever scored at Ibrox. 

May be an image of 1 person

Lovely man. He married my second cousin Jackie, who was Chelsea mad and got a job as assistant to Sheila Marsden in the back office. She met Ray and the rest is history.

There was a Big Match revisited from 81 on recently. He was taking corners with both feet; not many players could do that.

When he passed away there was a moving tribute from Bryan Robson. They'd been good pals since they roomed together with the England Youth team.