Jump to content

Top Striker & Top Goal Keeper


Bebe1980
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Recommended Posts

Time Chelsea stopped wasting their money and focused on getting what we really need to get us back into the top 4.

3 mistakes, 2 by GK and 1 by the new boy gifted West Ham 3 points.

With no one to regularly put the ball in the net at the other end, no matter how good Pooch is as a manager, we're going to struggle again this year.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



1 hour ago, Bebe1980 said:

Time Chelsea stopped wasting their money and focused on getting what we really need to get us back into the top 4.

3 mistakes, 2 by GK and 1 by the new boy gifted West Ham 3 points.

With no one to regularly put the ball in the net at the other end, no matter how good Pooch is as a manager, we're going to struggle again this year.

 

As much as I am not Sanchez's greatest fan, how was the goals conceded on him yesterday? The first goal you could argue that he needs to be brave and come and collect the ball, but it was a tricky ball to deal with. Ward-Prowse is world class at set pieces, one of the best around at it. The second goal, how is that on him? Disasi and Colwill were the ones that made the error and Antonio's finish was well hit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

As much as I am not Sanchez's greatest fan, how was the goals conceded on him yesterday? The first goal you could argue that he needs to be brave and come and collect the ball, but it was a tricky ball to deal with. Ward-Prowse is world class at set pieces, one of the best around at it. The second goal, how is that on him? Disasi and Colwill were the ones that made the error and Antonio's finish was well hit. 

The first goal was down to short-arse Gallagher being left to mark their CB. Nowt to do with Sanchez.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



Yes lets just keep signing even more players instead of giving the young ones we already have a chance to develop.

We aren't getting into the top 4 this season, and we shouldn't be expected to either. I know Poch is saying different, but that's his job, high standards, but deep down he knows this squad is miles away from a title challenge.

We can fix the GK situation next season, we don't need to blow more money in this window, Sanchez will do the job for now. And as for striker, well why don't we see what Broja and Jackson can do first rather than potentially wasting money on a position where we might already have two gems. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Victor90 said:

We aren't getting into the top 4 this season, and we shouldn't be expected to either. I know Poch is saying different, but that's his job, high standards, but deep down he knows this squad is miles away from a title challenge.

We may be miles off a title challenge but missing out on Top 4 again would be no trivial matter. Rivals around us are developing at a rapid pace and if we face another season of pure stagnation there would be reason to worry. We also desperately need the income with the amount of amortization we've now taken on, we have already sold one of our very brightest talents to get a head start on next years numbers and without Europe again there would be much more to come.

We've spent about a billion pounds. We've spent it on a lot of youth yes but if you spend that much only to be comfortable beaten by the likes of Brighton and Aston Villa again then thats a farce. Project and building for the future are nice buzzwords and it gets everyone going but there is absolutely no guarantee this squad will ever gel and reach its potential and if we face another season in or around mid-table it would perhaps just suggest the players we've bought aren't that good to begin with.

Mudryk for example is almost 23 and Madueke is Saka & Martinellis age. So far they've both really struggled and another season of that and I would very much worry they ever turn into special at all despite us spending £100+ on them while comitting another £100 million on them for their 8/9 year contracts. We are clearly married to this rebuild and the team and squad itself is largely going to be set for years so it's all going to come down to players reaching their potential. If they don't its a given that we are in trouble not only for the short term but also the long term.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



I don't see any of our peer group splashing the cash like we have - it's reckless... and what have we got for it- still two of, arguably, the most important positions are vacant.

I really hope we can get it together going forward as that'll be our only way of winning this year but already we've got a growing injury list... and James... James... he spends more time in recovery than he does on the pitch 😞 next it'll be Chilwell and we'll be wondering why we got rid of Hall...

I'm not convinced by this separation of "manager looks after the squad" and "directors of wotnot buy/sell the players"...

Even though it wasn't perfect, the youngsters that came through the academy that played under FL looked together and capable of doing something compared to some of the dross that came in after the ban was lifted.

Edited by Bebe1980
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/08/2023 at 17:43, KonaKai Blue said:

What strikers are out there? Not even Madrid have won. We just need to sign players who have an eye for goal.

Spent some time thinking about this recently, with various media personalities bashing us for not going out and buying a world class striker instead of what we have, but I'm genuinely lost as to who that would have been. 

Kane is the only obvious answer I can think of but Levy would have made us double Bayern's price. People talk of Osimhen but I don't see him as a guarantee for goals in the prem, especially at the price he would cost. 

I really think the only viable option was Toney and he's got a ban. 

Carragher made an interesting point that it wouldn't need to be a striker but just a goal scorer (referencing Salah as Liverpool's main outlet) but again the question is who?

It's very easy to say we haven't bought guaranteed quality where we should have, but we know more than most that there's no such thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



2 hours ago, Niall1905 said:

Spent some time thinking about this recently, with various media personalities bashing us for not going out and buying a world class striker instead of what we have, but I'm genuinely lost as to who that would have been. 

Kane is the only obvious answer I can think of but Levy would have made us double Bayern's price. People talk of Osimhen but I don't see him as a guarantee for goals in the prem, especially at the price he would cost. 

I really think the only viable option was Toney and he's got a ban. 

Carragher made an interesting point that it wouldn't need to be a striker but just a goal scorer (referencing Salah as Liverpool's main outlet) but again the question is who?

It's very easy to say we haven't bought guaranteed quality where we should have, but we know more than most that there's no such thing. 

Nkunku was brought in for that role but got injured. We need a backup to Nkunku. Since we have signed so many young players on potential, I think this role would be better filled by a more experienced player that could fulfill the duties the next 2-3 seasons.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, forbzy said:

Nkunku was brought in for that role but got injured. We need a backup to Nkunku. Since we have signed so many young players on potential, I think this role would be better filled by a more experienced player that could fulfill the duties the next 2-3 seasons.  

I agree, that's probably what the squad needs. I don't know who fits though

Link to comment
Share on other sites



Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...
Please Sign In or Sign Up

Well, this is awkward!

Happy Sunny Days GIF by Atlassian

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to show these to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum running. Over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off and whitelisting the website? Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interference with your experience on The Shed End.

If you don't want to view any adverts while logged in and using your account, consider using the Ad-Free Subscription which is renewable every year. To buy a subscription, log in to your account and click the link under the Newbies forum on the home page.

Cheers now!

Sure, let me in!