The rest of the week is tough, Reading and LPool

ozboy

So, off to an entertaining start, but now two away games.

Reading: A game we need to win for many reasons, but mainly to rub ManU's name in it; and

LPuddle: A season shaping game. Our defence will be under a lot of pressure in that game, and I am already thinking of bringing back Maka, shoving Essien in at right back, playing JC instead of SWP to stiffen up the defence (did i say that). Last year the away game to LPool was our worst of the season and undermined confidence in the team. Its a shame this match is coming up so early in the season.

Reading: A game we need to win for many reasons, but mainly to rub ManU's name in it; and

LPuddle: A season shaping game. Our defence will be under a lot of pressure in that game, and I am already thinking of bringing back Maka, shoving Essien in at right back, playing JC instead of SWP to stiffen up the defence (did i say that). Last year the away game to LPool was our worst of the season and undermined confidence in the team. Its a shame this match is coming up so early in the season.

the Reading match is also important because we need to stick it to Hunt. I want him making a diagonal run across the middle with Essien crunching him from behind, perhaps splitting his skull wide open.

i'm afraid the Liverpool match will be tough without Terry. i know that Jose said after the Brum match that he's not wanting to rotate around the squad as he will be doing in February and March, so unless there is an injury, it looks like the starting XI we saw in the first game will also be in effect (swapping Drogba for Kalou). and the way Jose has praised SWP after the match today, he'd have to have an absolute crap game against Reading in order to be benched for Anfield.

Last year we did not have a single central defender on pitch (JT was out and Carvalho got the flu).

This year its Ricky plus Ben Haim, Alex or with a bit of luck JT.

Also PF is back in training, so Johnno will likely get a rest....maybe Alves will be on board by then too!

In short a tough game, but not nearly as bad as last year. I remember being at the game, and with one other Chelsea supporter in the crummy L'pool dining area, and the two of us grimacing when we heard the center back paring of Essien and Ferrera.

Nick

Next two games will be very tough indeed, but incident with our keepers will bring us a lot of additional motivation at Reading, I can agree with MannuJello.

And yes, Liverpool was awful last year, so we should highly concentrated and motivated.

Of course, it would be great to win both, but draw at Anfield is acceptable result I think, counting current circumstances....

The next two games will be tough but id expect that the team will have enough to beat Reading.

For Liverpool I think the team should have enough motivation to go out and win after the games last season. And hopefully paolo will be back (does anyone know whats wrong with him and when he'll be back) along with JT. 128.gif

Reading and Rafas-tool will be tough matches and I only hope we approach both games with the cavalier attitude we showed yesterday. It was great to see us abandon the saftey-first football and entertain the fans for a change, but I have my doubts about us playing any sort of an open game in either of these fixtures, especially if Essien is missing. I expect us to go back to a 4-4-3 of sorts, with Drogba leading the line and SWP and Malouda dropping into a midfield of Mikel, Lamps and Sidwell when we don't have possession. If we do go with the same formation and intent as yesterday I'll be pleased and amazed - Jose will have definitely have changed his philosophy and be trying to give Roman what he wants!

I expect a relatively easy win on wednesday. Don't think Reading is good enough to repeat their performance from Old Trafford. If we play fast paced, attacking game like we did on sunday their defence will crumble quickly.

Liverfool away is a different matter. Both teams are much changed during last months and everything is possible. I have to admit I'm little concerned about the lack of Terry and Essien tho.

Reading and Rafas-tool will be tough matches and I only hope we approach both games with the cavalier attitude we showed yesterday. It was great to see us abandon the saftey-first football and entertain the fans for a change, but I have my doubts about us playing any sort of an open game in either of these fixtures, especially if Essien is missing. I expect us to go back to a 4-4-3 of sorts, with Drogba leading the line and SWP and Malouda dropping into a midfield of Mikel, Lamps and Sidwell when we don't have possession. If we do go with the same formation and intent as yesterday I'll be pleased and amazed - Jose will have definitely have changed his philosophy and be trying to give Roman what he wants!

4-4-3 ? that should confuse them. icon_wink.gif

If you meant 4-3-3 I think you right.

I'm sure I heard Jose saying on MOTD2 that JT will be in the defence against Liverfool, guys! icon_wink.gif Or is that just me having wishful hearing icon_confused.gif

I think he said that JT has a 50% chance of playing and that Drogba is almost deffinatly gonna be ready.

I'm sure I heard Jose saying on MOTD2 that JT will be in the defence against Liverfool, guys! icon_wink.gif Or is that just me having wishful hearing icon_confused.gif

I think he said that JT has a 50% chance of playing and that Drogba is almost deffinatly gonna be ready.

JT 50%. Then we know he'll play. 50% doesn't stop John "Ironman" Terry. icon_razz.gif

I am not overly concerned if Essein misses the Liverpool match. We have Mikel and probably Makelele ready to fill in his shoes to enforce authority in the middle of the park. Terry's organizational and heading ability are strengths that will be missed in that match although the central defensive pairing of Ben Haim and Carvalho seems to be ok so far, still some jitters but relatively alright. My personal take would be to play Alex for around 20 minutes in the Reading match depending on the progress of that match (to give him a feel of the English game) and then play him from the start against the scousers. We need Alex for his aerial ability and physical presence in the heart of the defence.

As for the problematic right back position, if Glen Johnson performs ok against Reading this Wednesday, I reckon he will start the pool game. If he screws it up with a fatal error or two again, he will have blown his first team chances for the entire season and I think Mourinho will replace him with Diarra. The recovery and match readiness of Ferreira has become very important now.

Archived