They really are full

Tea Bar Boy

.....of themselves ,

Wouldn't normally post this but the reply from Peter Knight is just pure class .

http://www.anfieldred.co.uk/2008/04/28/ ... -this-week

Submitted by peter knight (not verified) on Mon, 2008-04-28 17:46.

I've followed Chelsea since 1967, and I've been to over 1,000 matches at 78 different stadiums, so I am from the "old school" of Chelsea boys.

My interest is this: judging by your photo you look pretty young so my personal recollection of Liverpool's heyday is probably better than yours. In the current era Chelsea have emerged as one of the new breed of big clubs...and all you traditionalists hate it!!!

Even Tottenhan & Everton, part of the so-called big 5, hate it.

WHY?

OK, prior to Bill Shankly, where were & who the F**k were Liverpool? This is history also.

Chelsea do have a history, as do all clubs but to their supporters it's important to them.

I remember like it was yesterday watching Liverpool play St.Etienne in the Euro cup semis & all of England wanted them to win - but even the commentators were surprised that they won, such was the achievement. Now English fans don't want other English teams to do well in Europe, such is the modern rivalry.

Chelsea fans on the other hand, like most famous clubs had to make do with other types of success.

When we won promotion in 1977 we got over 40,000 on numerous occasions, just as big support as you lot, and that was SECOND DIVISION!!!

Talking about atmosphere, only THREE clubs had notorious "ends" in England in the 60's, 70's & 80's:

The Kop, the Stretford End at Man Utd and the Shed at Chelsea.

All club's fans in the hey day of English footy, the 1970's wore tons of scarves & colors and sang Y.N.W.A.

Even Man Utd fans are gleefully in full voice singing it after they won the FA cup against LIVERPOOL in 1977!! Check it out on youtube if you don't believe me.

Anyway, the sad thing for me is how the modern era has sanitized modern grounds. Look at Man Utd. It's unbelievable that Old Trafford has turned into football's equivalent of Disney land, with 1/3 of their ground filled with tourists!! Ken Bates did his utmost to get rid of us real Chelsea fans.....because we were too rowdy!!!!!! He's succeeded. Chelsea's support was 2nd to none during the 70's, 80's & 90's. We took more away than everyone except Utd and that includes Liverpool.

I've been to Anfield loads of times in that era & the "famous" Kop was absolutely crap, I was very disappointed with that. We took thousands there.Yet you lot wouldn't show in big numbers at the Bridge, probably due to our reputation at the time.Yet it angers me these days when the media hypes up the Kop & how wonderful the Scouse fans are. The media love LFC & the Mancs as if it's not allowed for other teams to be successful.

Now it's been 19 years since the last Liverpool championship & Chelsea have won 13 trophies in the last 10 years, not a bad haul is it? It was the same for the Mancs when they went 27 years without the league, but their plastic fans don't even know about that...that's THEIR history.

Chelsea began this successful era in 1997 with Glen Hoddle/Ruud Guliit/Vialli. Long before Abramovich

came along.

Our long suffering fans of the previous era deserve this!!! Do your younger fans?

Success is not yours by right of history, we're living in the present.

Where were we when we were sh*t?? Ask the fans of all the teams which crowd gave them the most apprehension? It was CHELSEA & WEST HAM.. .

It does sadden me that The Bridge has lost that sense of aura it used to have, but let me quote a piece from Joey Jones (remember him??):

"Listen, I've played for Liverpool in their finest period, and never, and I'm not just saying this, have I seen better, more passionate support as I've experienced here (Chelsea)!!!!!!!!!!"

That was in 1984/85 in one of my programmes & in the book "Celery, Chelsea in the 80's".

The only good thing about the modern era is that, at Anfield they've (the Club) preserved the Kop.

At everywhere else & especially Stamford Bridge, there is no real "home end" to create a great atmosphere.

That's where you lot have an advantage.

In the old days we'd have taken 10,000 plus to Anfield & battered you lot if you showed at the Bridge, or even in London (remember the Charity shields against Arsenal, "78 & Spurs "82??)!!! THAT, is our history.( A different era, I know, but the one I belong to.)

But don't call us plastics as I reckon Chelsea will do it this time....and our fans will rise to the occasion!!

PS. On Sky sports the other day, with all the interviews they did , before & after the match, none of the Liverpool fans were even English!!!! Explain that if you will?

Anyway, enough from me. .....I've been very restrained & avoided the necessity to abuse & insult any fans.

Cheers,

Peter Knight

Brilliant post I agree clap2.gifclap2.gif

I am splitting hairs but only because it is an interesting debate that goes on and on.... I am similar era to this guy.. I just want to throw it into the hat because it is fact, and it makes for a balanced descussion.

There were games at The Bridge in the 70's and 80's which were the worst atmosphere you ever want to witness.. we all have this nostaglic view of what we saw, but there were games when you could here them slicing the oranges for half time in the dressing room.

Just want to clarify that, because I think the new fans will think that it was all fantastic, the reality is it wans't. icon_sad.gif We went through a desperate era, of football and fans turning up for games.....anyone there to see Wimdledon on a cold Tuesday night in some tin pot cup? when I think we had just less than 2,000 fans, (most of them Wimbledon icon_eek.gif )

I think that was '79, maybe 81, 82.. I can't remember off the top of my head... but lets be realistic, altough I agree the atmos is bad now it will never be that bad for again.

Say again, great post, thanks TBB. I do want to return to the old days too, but I just wanted to state the historical facts as they are.

Carefree, come on you blue boys ! ::Scalf::

Our name was dirt back then. We had a hardcore of real nutcases who were into racist chanting aginst our own players, let alone the opposition, and who caused mayhem at away games. We were known - along with Millwall - for being the worst hooligans of the era.

Yes, our gates plummeted - for all sorts of reasons. Gates dropped everywhere and 20000 was seen as a fair crowd. Football wasn't fashionable as it has become now. On occasions, though, our fanatical following could generate a hell of an atmosphere, partly because we were desperate for success and were living with the shadow of extinction for a decade or more.

As I said, we were (justifiably) vilified by the media back then for our fans' behaviour, and yet the same media seem to regret the afct that our support based has changed in the past few years, as if they'd prefer the club if the fans behaved like they used to.

Well done Tea Bar for finding that mate.

Sometimes I mean to write a post like that,in response to some of the crap that is levelled at our famous support.

But I lose my head and just end up chucking insults about.

Fantastic post Pete Knight!

Super Chelsea

Cant even be bothered to debate with these idiots, its pure jealousy i'm afraid. They have 'bought' every trophy they have ever won and spent more money than us in the summer to be out of the title race before christmas.

They really are pathetic.

There are ediots on every forum. If you want to talk about money, our net spend was only 26 million while you spent enough over the years. There is no comparision between you transfer budget and ours. You are able to put 20+ milllion or 30+ million signings on Bench. We can't. As simple as that. Also our Board room problems and injuries to key players didn't helped. We don't have bench like yours. In case of injury to Torres we would love to put likes of Kalou, Shev, Anelka on field instead of likes of Voronin.

There are ediots on every forum. If you want to talk about money, our net spend was only 26 million while you spent enough over the years. There is no comparision between you transfer budget and ours. You are able to put 20+ milllion or 30+ million signings on Bench. We can't. As simple as that. Also our Board room problems and injuries to key players didn't helped. We don't have bench like yours. In case of injury to Torres we would love to put likes of Kalou, Shev, Anelka on field instead of likes of Voronin.

Getting the excuses ready, good lad ! happy0034.gif

Also our Board room problems and injuries to key players didn't helped.

I think we slightly win on that front?

Agree with you. I think Rafa and Grant never moaned about injuries like Fergie and Wenger does. After all it seems only United and Arsenal are victim of Injuries.

Getting the excuses ready, good lad ! happy0034.gif

I don't need any excuses. If you beat us in second leg, then Fair play to you guys. I am not the one who moans about millions $ difference. I expect my team to give fight there. No shame in going down fighting. I was just responding to a guy who slated us for spending some money this year. I think we got Torres and Babel for less money than what it costed for Sheva.

There is no comparision between your transfer budget and ours

What about when you were owned by one of the richest familys in the country and our supporters were putting money in a bucket every week to save our stadium and club?

Is it a coincidence that Liverpool had their most sucessful times when they were one of the most affluient clubs in the country?

Money talks I'm afraid. I think Liverpool have one of the biggest squads in the league but I think Benitez has made some really average signings. It's no good having money if you don't spend it wisely.

Even if you haven't spent as much as we have in the more recent years, you have to admit that you've spent enough money on new players during Rafa's reign that you'd expect to have seen your team join the Premiership titlerace sometime during those four seasons. 317.gif

Even if you haven't spent as much as we have in the more recent years, you have to admit that you've spent enough money on new players during Rafa's reign that you'd expect to have seen your team join the Premiership titlerace sometime during those four seasons. 317.gif

To some extent I agree. We are disappointed that we are not close with money we spent. But at the same time you have to see the money spent by United and you guys to strengthen the squad. We still think we are short in some areas which we require before having a go at EPL.

We don't have enough creative wide players to get result against small teams who park their bus. Babel shows flashes but is inconsistent and has stamina problems due to EPL pace. Also we don't have sufficient cover for Torres and Gerrad. Mascherano and Alonso can't play Gerrard's role. I think the ability to get results against small teams is hurting us more. If we don't get goal against them in first half, we loose our patience and composure.

To be competent

we need replacement for Torres (not world class but some one who can do a decent Job when he is off).

Dirk Kuyt needs to go to be replaced by a player with decent pace and creativity.

Good left back. Risse is not good with ball.

Also we missed agger most this season. He is like Carvalho who knows how to get ball out of defense and not hoof it like Carra or Terry. At least we have Skrtel now who seems to have bit ball playing skills and it improved our run.

To some extent I agree. We are disappointed that we are not close with money we spent. But at the same time you have to see the money spent by United and you guys to strengthen the squad. We still think we are short in some areas which we require before having a go at EPL..

You have to remember that we are quite good at paying ridiculous money for average players as well because we are CFC and for Roman's first 2 seasons had the business nous of a 6 year old. Comparisons on spend don't really work for me (witness Sheva, SWP etc)

We don't have enough creative wide players to get result against small teams who park their bus. .

Join the gang. Fancy Malouda on a free?

Nice to have a red on here with a brain, BTW. Let's hope your travelling fans don't let you down tonight (again).

Mike

Archived