Vintage Blues pictures and film

2 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Thought at first that was John Wark. The legendary Ipswich Town goal scoring midfielder of the late 1970s - mid 1980s !

That's exactly what I thought too!

3 hours ago, Boyne said:

It is. The pitch at White Hart Lane is nearly as bad as the one at Wembley.

Surely not. I thought that the White Hart Lane pitch would always have been like a bowling green.

Why ? Well haven't Spuds always played 'attractive, free flowing football " ?

14 hours ago, old git said:

The old Rose Hill pub got a bit 'lively' at the weekends before it got closed down, and now it's a Co Op supermarket. Your right though, the soul has gone from the place.

Even the Co Op has closed down now, apparently it's going to be a Lidl supermarket.

Did you ever drink in the Arms? now that was a lively pub, i did but not often & not for long because it got closed down not long after i started using it.

26 minutes ago, Carshalton Blue said:

Probably sums us up back in 86/87, signed a Post Man John Coady & introduced a Jade away kit, to be fair Coady is scoring here on his debut, 1.1 draw at QPR

DD_Z9qPXcAEm1IV.jpg

Does anyone remember John McNaught ? from the same era as John Coady. Only played a handful of games from memory he looked a bit like Colin Hendry. If I remember rightly Bates went to visit him and said he was living in squalor not sure if that was when he played for us or after he died. Horrible thing to say totally unnecessary whatever the circumstances were.

2 hours ago, Carshalton Blue said:

Probably sums us up back in 86/87, signed a Post Man John Coady & introduced a Jade away kit, to be fair Coady is scoring here on his debut, 1.1 draw at QPR

DD_Z9qPXcAEm1IV.jpg

David seaman in goal, pre ponytail!

9 hours ago, Carshalton Blue said:

Even the Co Op has closed down now, apparently it's going to be a Lidl supermarket.

Did you ever drink in the Arms? now that was a lively pub, i did but not often & not for long because it got closed down not long after i started using it.

The Arms was a one off. Before I started drinking there, I used to work on a fruit and veg. barrow across the road (before I went to school) and used to run across the roundabout with a sack of potatoes for their kitchen. It went rapidly downhill due to it being used for rucks, fights and a bit of gang warfare. At the death, half of it was closed down and the other half was dark and dingy. Apparently, some lunatic drove in on a motorbike around the bar looking for some bloke. 

8 hours ago, bluehaze said:

Does anyone remember John McNaught ? from the same era as John Coady. Only played a handful of games from memory he looked a bit like Colin Hendry. If I remember rightly Bates went to visit him and said he was living in squalor not sure if that was when he played for us or after he died. Horrible thing to say totally unnecessary whatever the circumstances were.

I vaguely remember him. Played centre back and had ginger hair, I think. Good in the air but cumbersome on the ground.

12 hours ago, bluehaze said:

4 hours ago, old git said:

I vaguely remember him. Played centre back and had ginger hair, I think. Good in the air but cumbersome on the ground.

I remember him. Thought he was a bit reckless and clumsy in the tackle. Looked at his record and only played 13 games for us. Made his debut for us against Watford at the end of 85/86 season. We lost 5-1. Same game as Durie made his debut. Les Fridge was in goal for us. I think it was the only game that Fridge played for us. Maybe wrong though. A shame what happened to McNaught and only 32 when he died.