Next Chelsea Manager

Who would be your choice as Chelsea manager going into next season?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Here are the current favorites with Conte included. Jody Morris is in there as he is the current youth team manager, and promoting from within seems to have worked for Barca, so why not us?!

• Luis Enrique
    • Massimilliano Allegri
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Diego Simeoni
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Maurizio Sarri
    • Jody Morris
    • Antonio Conte
    • Other

Can anyone explain how Sarri is a better option than Brendan Rodgers?

Rodgers nearly won the league but has in fact won nothing of any meaning, and Liverpool played fantastic football.

He also happens to be much younger, speaks the language and knows the league.

If he were Italian I feel sure we'd be looking at him.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not suggesting Rodgers, though I wouldn't be entirely against the idea, I'm just asking why Sarri is better.

Edited by Davey Baby

9 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

Can anyone explain how Sarri is a better option than Brendan Rodgers?

Rodgers nearly won the league but has in fact won nothing of any meaning, and Liverpool played fantastic football.

He also happens to be much younger, speaks the language and knows the league.

If he were Italian I feel sure we'd be looking at him.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not suggesting Rodgers, though I wouldn't be entirely against the idea, I'm just asking why Sarri is better.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/17-quotes-from-brendan-rodgers-that-will-make-you-cringe-31174543.html

enough said. 

2 minutes ago, big blue said:

Yeah I get all that, Rodgers makes me cringe as well, but it's a serious question and I'd appreciate a serious answer from somebody.

How come Sarri has better credentials?

4 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

Yeah I get all that, Rodgers makes me cringe as well, but it's a serious question and I'd appreciate a serious answer from somebody.

How come Sarri has better credentials?

It's  difficult @Davey Baby how do you compare an alleged racist with a proven twat?  I'm sure I don't know.

4 minutes ago, big blue said:

On a serious note though @Davey Baby, Rodgers had a very good winning run in the league at the end of his second season at Liverpool, but other than that, I don't think he did a particularly good job at Liverpool, 7th in 1st season, 2nd, and then 6th. 

Well, he lost Suarez, and Balotelli was forced upon him, so it's not too bad in the circumstances. I mean Liverpool had no real right to be in the top four.

Edited by Davey Baby

6 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

It's  difficult @Davey Baby how do you compare an alleged racist with a proven twat?  I'm sure I don't know.

The racism claims are baseless bullsh*t from Mancini. The Homophobic ones have more basis and are definitely a black mark against Sarri. His argument is that one word said in the heat of the moment is not a true indicator of his character. Whether you agree with that or not I don't know. The racism is from what I have read a load of crap.

3 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

Well, he lost Suarez, and Balotelli was forced upon him, so it's not too bad in the circumstances.

Sarri lost higuain but still managed to keep napoli competing. 

I think sarri has done a much better job at napoli than what Rodgers did at Liverpool, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, including the record points total for a runner up. 

I don't think Rodgers' achievements at Celtic should even come into consideration, considering how uncompetitive the league is. 

Just now, yorkleyblue said:

Homophobia is also an indicator on the Res-Mogg scale 

Okay, I don't really care either way. If you don't want him as manager then that'd up to you. It's something shared by the board from what I have read. What will you do if he does become manager?

11 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

Well, he lost Suarez, and Balotelli was forced upon him, so it's not too bad in the circumstances. I mean Liverpool had no real right to be in the top four.

The Premier League has been dogsh*t quality wise for roughly 5 years. We fail in Europe every season, teams lack consistency and no club has looked anywhere close to top level. Any very good manager should be competing with a team as good as Liverpools. Just like Klopp has them in top 4 two years in a row and Pocchettino has Tottenham in the top four. Rodgers failed by not taking advantage of how terrible this league is right now.

Only Premier League watching idiots genuinely think this league stands out as anything special.

2 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

You honestly think we’ll keep Hazard if Conte stays? 

Come on Yorkley, you should know better. I think our only chance of keeping Hazard is to get a new coach in, definitely an attacking coach so Hazard can look forward to playing attacking football.

We keep Conte or hire a defensive coach, why would Hazard stay? He could easily join Real Madrid or Barcelona if he wanted to.

You seem to have got out the wrong side of the bed this morning... Take a breather.

Could he go to Barca or Madrid though? 

36 minutes ago, Total-Football said:

The Premier League has been dogsh*t quality wise for roughly 5 years. We fail in Europe every season, teams lack consistency and no club has looked anywhere close to top level. Any very good manager should be competing with a team as good as Liverpools. Just like Klopp has them in top 4 two years in a row and Pocchettino has Tottenham in the top four. Rodgers failed by not taking advantage of how terrible this league is right now.

Only Premier League watching idiots genuinely think this league stands out as anything special.

Irrelevant for me. The PL is far superior to the Italian league. Juventus are the only top side in Italy. Coming second over there is far easier than coming second over here. Sarri's predecessor, Benitez, finished runners-up as well with Napoli. When Rodgers was at Liverpool, there was more financial disparity than there is today. He had no right finishing above City, Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal. 5th was about as high as anyone could have reasonably expected. Today, Liverpool can pay the big bucks. They couldn't then.

8 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

Irrelevant for me. The PL is far superior to the Italian league. Juventus are the only top side in Italy. Coming second over there is far easier than coming second over here. Sarri's predecessor, Benitez, finished runners-up as well with Napoli. When Rodgers was at Liverpool, there was more financial disparity than there is today. He had no right finishing above City, Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal. 5th was about as high as anyone could have reasonably expected. Today, Liverpool can pay the big bucks. They couldn't then.

Suarez massively carried them that season, he scored 31 in 33 games. Sturridge got 21 too. The only reason they didn't win the thing was because Rodgers is an imbecile who doesn't know what a defence is.

Edited by Kentonio

1 hour ago, Nibs said:

Thanks for that.

Seems he would get on well with David Moyes - offering female reporters out!

Do we know if he can speak good English? Nothing worse than seeing your manager unable to communicate and having to use a translator.

He worked as a banker in London for years before he even got into football management. I'm pretty sure your English has to be good to work such a job.

2 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

That's not relevant.  There may or may not have been one, the other or both in the past, but it was never publicised and I was never aware, so I never had to  "overlook" any such racism or homophobia.  There has been an allegation made in here that he is both.  If that is true, then no, I would  not overlook that.  If it's not true then I don't need to overlook it.

Oh but it is bloody relevant. "I didn't know they were racists so it doesn't matter"??? Matter of fact, you could argue that majority of the men who've managed Chelsea since 1905 were likely racists and homophobes. How about that? I'm making that point not to 'whatabout' the issue but to say that whatever evidence, however small it was, was apologized for. This is 2018. If you're going to tear down people for not being completely evolved then I'm sorry but you don't know how to pass a message of equality. Such methods make the actual racists (and homophobes) even more hardened in their ways. I try every day to learn new things socially and up until last year, even though I'm more progressive than most, I still held certain beliefs that I now consider sexist. We learn everyday. It's an incident small enough to extend an olive branch instead of sending someone into exile. 

In the grand scheme of things, none of our opinions matter even a little bit. The board will do what the board will do and so will Roman and sometimes it won't align with the wishes of the fans - they did hire Benitez, didn't they? I'm pretty sure a club of Chelsea's stature have done their proper homework on Sarri and apparently - since we're still after him - it wasn't a big enough deal to be a deal breaker. Which I agree with. If we're not going to hire him in the end, it certainly wouldn't be because of what you're saying.

As for the sexist comments, do we now call David Moyes a bad, evil man because of his comments to that reporter? :face_palm: Is it an ignorant sort of comment to make? Certainly. And I'm sure the public backlash has taught him to know better than that now. But there's a reason David Moyes is still getting job offers....because it's ultimately not that f**king big a deal. Copy and paste for Sarri.

As I said, the club obviously know everything about Sarri and if we're still after him in spite of all you're clamouring against, then it's because they obviously agree it's not as serious as you're saying.

The man is not a racist or a misogynist

He's just a guy who happens to be more conservative than most of us

Like Churchill was

Anw I don't get how that comment can be considered misogynistic. Quite the opposite, I think he has the old gentlemanly view on women

Edited by Eden17
wrong phrase

1 minute ago, Eden17 said:

The man is not a racist or a misogynist

He's just a well spoken guy who happens to be more conservative than most of us

Like Churchill was

Anw I don't get how that comment can be considered misogynistic. Quite the opposite, I think he has the old gentlemanly view on women

We're in the age of hypersensitivity. Don't be surprised.

17 minutes ago, Barrettinator said:

Oh but it is bloody relevant. "I didn't know they were racists so it doesn't matter"??? .......................and then a rambling diatribe of half-whining and half-bravado.

That's not what I said, though, is it?  I said that there may have been racists, homophobes and, by implication, misogynists in the past, but, as it wasn't made public, I "didn't have to overlook it" I never said  "it doesn't matter because I didn't know."

So, less of the twisting of what people say.  My original point was that someone said racism and homophobia could be overlooked.  I said I didn't know if either were true, but if they were I wouldn't overlook that. 

So stop being a confrontational twat.  (and I know that's a bit rich coming from me, but I tend to work from what people actually say, rather than a dubious twist on what they say)

28 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

Wrong. Arsenal have come second in that period and they are worse then Napoli. Only this season have the Premier League clubs made strides to reaching the top again. Stick Juventus of that period into the Premier League during that time and they would consistently win the league. It's only your bias that makes you think we have some wonderful league with the best players in the world. The quality is exactly the same as other league's except we don't have one side who are clearly a European elite level side thus there is more movement at the top. Bayern, Barca, Real Madrid and Juventus dominate their league's but they would also dominate the Premier League during Rodgers reign. 

Juventus have reached two CL finals for gods sakes. They are so far above the Premier League teams in this regard that it's laughable we even try to pretend our league is somehow superior. It's superior because it's worse.

32 minutes ago, Kentonio said:

Much as I dislike them, you can hardly say City haven't looked top level this season.

Right. The first team to reach the levels of Juventus/Bayern/Barcelona/Real and they break every record going in the league. We're on the up but the quality of the league from Ferguson retiring to this season has been dire. Getting one second place finish during that time is not equal to Sarri's three seasons at Napoli.