Next Chelsea Manager

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Who would be your choice as Chelsea manager going into next season?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Here are the current favorites with Conte included. Jody Morris is in there as he is the current youth team manager, and promoting from within seems to have worked for Barca, so why not us?!

• Luis Enrique
    • Massimilliano Allegri
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Diego Simeoni
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Maurizio Sarri
    • Jody Morris
    • Antonio Conte
    • Other

20 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Stones, Gundogan, Gabriel Jesus, Kyle Walker and Danilo all played more than 35 games this season. They're all Pep purchases. 

That's before you consider the money spent on Mendy, B Silva, Laporte etc. and the fact they already had the best squad in the league beforehand. 

Pep is a great manager, but implementing Juego de Posicion took adding hundreds of millions of dollars in players to an already star studded squad. 

We won't have that luxury. Here's Antonio after the Fa Cup final:

"For now the real situation of this club is this: we have to play strong defensively if we want to win a trophy or get a place in the Champions League. Maybe we missed the Champions League this season because we tried to play very open and, in this moment, we can’t do this, especially against a strong team.

To concede three goals in seven games it means you don’t have stability. A great team doesn’t concede three goals, or four goals against Watford.

"Playing like this] was the only way to lift a trophy. If you want to change then we can change our idea, but you must change many players"

We don't have the players for open attacking football and I can't see us buying them. That means by hiring Sarri we're going to try and implement a style that doesn't suit our squad. That in my view is a massive concern.

Honestly I couldn't care less how we play as long as we win, it doesn't need to be tiki-taka Pep style at all, after all it was OUR team that managed to kick them out and cause them a lot of trouble in the past meaning particularly against tiki-taka we managed to fight them off well and I'm proud of that as a Chelsea supporter.

If Sarri comes and changes our style I still wouldn't mind, as long as we don't embarrass ourselves out there! Do we have players to play attacking football, in a different formation and gameplan?
There is no real answer until someone tries to implement it but the fact remains that regardless of how we want to play, we need new players and new key players that is, big signings, top quality signings for next season.

Conte won the league in his first season, FA Cup in his second, when he came he changed our formation and won 30 games in his first season with us - IF that had been done by Man City and Pep Guardiola he would have been massively overrated by everyone and called as a genius, but since it's Conte, and Chelsea, it's just us "not being in a crisis yet again"... Pep will continue to spend money, it's the only thing he knows since he came to Man City but he can't replicate his results from Barcelona no matter what and that is a fact until he proves it otherwise it by winning the Champions League again, something that he couldn't do outside Barcelona FC, it's also a question if he will be able to defend his Premier League title next season - but after all said and done, we as Chelsea fans can't really point fingers at Pep Guardiola and Man City because they spent a lot of money - Our own club did the same thing more or less in the recent past.

We need to adapt and improve our squad, period. Everyone knows it, Conte, Hazard, Courtois...they all said it.
John Terry is not here anymore, Cahill is older now, it is time to start a new generation going with new big names, we have a few we got Azpilicueta, Kanté, Hazard and Rudiger is slowly becoming a big player for us, our academy is amazing but with no long term manager there is always too much pressure on any coach that comes to get results and it's just too risky to involve the youth.

It's getting a bit obvious that it's the club that is shooting itself in the leg a bit here and there, if we continue to change the manager so often we will fall outside of the title contender teams.

7 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

It's getting a bit obvious that it's the club that is shooting itself in the leg a bit here and there, if we continue to change the manager so often we will fall outside of the title contender teams.

Our proactiveness in changing managers when things are clearly f**ked is one of the major reasons we win as much as we do.

Got a feeling with this Russian thing going on that we might not sign any big players yet bring back all our loan players and strangely enough that might work quite well.

Jokanovic is being mentioned again in the press, feel if Villa win he might be coming back to SB.

Edited by Strider6003

3 minutes ago, Argo said:

Our proactiveness in changing managers when things are clearly f**ked is one of the major reasons we win as much as we do.

That can't last forever and it's not a viable system. Real Madrid sacked a lot of managers and it just happened that Zidane is actually great at his job, imagine if he had failed there was NO big name left for them to get since they fired so many managers over the years and they are sticking to Zidane even if he at one point was outside the top 4 in La Liga only because he is trying to save the season in the Champions League, Conte did somewhat similar saving our season with the FA Cup title but is getting sacked either way.

4 hours ago, Xfaxtor said:

Anyways. Would welcome Sarri here with open arms. Not sure we would win much, but our matches would be fun to watch again. This quote also makes me think he wouldnt throw a fit over over our transfers: 

Maurizio Sarri on Transfer Market] . "Transfer Market is the refuge of the weak. It is for those who can't train their players. I'm a coach. Give me a group of players ...

That quote is probably the reason he gets hired here. He will make due with what he has, limited money for senior players and a sh*t-ton of promising youngsters, without complaint while the club are spending boatloads on a new stadium. 

This seems to be ultimately where Conte has diverged from the board, he can't accept 2nd place and these days you have to spend lavishly to compete for titles. 200m got us an FA Cup this season but we're miles behind City, Bayern, Real etc.. if we're talking about CL glory or league titles now. 

I've said Conte needs to go but if we're going for trophies the next couple of years he should stay and be backed to the hilt with money for players he needs to win. Otherwise the football won't change which is probably, again, why Sarri is so hot on the radar. He seems more willing to play an attractive way with the players he has than Conte who is more pragmatic 

12 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

That can't last forever and it's not a viable system. Real Madrid sacked a lot of managers and it just happened that Zidane is actually great at his job, imagine if he had failed there was NO big name left for them to get since they fired so many managers over the years and they are sticking to Zidane even if he at one point was outside the top 4 in La Liga only because he is trying to save the season in the Champions League, Conte did somewhat similar saving our season with the FA Cup title but is getting sacked either way.

I would say it's a lot more viable than sticking to regime'a that are either broken beyond repair or simply not working. United desperately clinging onto Moyes and LVG set them back years, likewise Arsenal with Wenger (Conte has basically replicated Wenger's tenure there, he just did it in two years instead of 20 and skipped all the 4th place finishes).

5 hours ago, Total-Football said:

Wrong. Arsenal have come second in that period and they are worse then Napoli. Only this season have the Premier League clubs made strides to reaching the top again. Stick Juventus of that period into the Premier League during that time and they would consistently win the league. It's only your bias that makes you think we have some wonderful league with the best players in the world. The quality is exactly the same as other league's except we don't have one side who are clearly a European elite level side thus there is more movement at the top. Bayern, Barca, Real Madrid and Juventus dominate their league's but they would also dominate the Premier League during Rodgers reign. 

Juventus have reached two CL finals for gods sakes. They are so far above the Premier League teams in this regard that it's laughable we even try to pretend our league is somehow superior. It's superior because it's worse.

Talk about missing the point. I said Juventus were a top side. They have been the only top side in Italy for ages. Bayern are also a top side. That doesn't stop the PL being far stronger in general than the Italian and German top flights. As for saying we have a wonderful league with the best players in the world, you're putting words into my mouth. I simply said the PL is stronger and that's a fact.

Sarri could work but I'm not convinced it will with Bakayoko in the Jorginho role and Barkley in the Hamsik role. Bakayoko isn't a deep lying playmaker like Jorginho, and although Barkley played in a similar position to Hamsik at Everton his technical quality is the vastly inferior (imho)

Fwiw I think perhaps it could work if next season's starting XI is something along these lines;

Courtois
Azpi - Alderweireld or Albiol - Rudiger - Emerson
                           Weigl/Fabregas
               Kante/Fabregas - Hazard/Mount
 Willian/Lozano - Morata/Giroud - Lozano/Hazard/CHO

Edited by the special one

5 hours ago, Kentonio said:

Suarez massively carried them that season, he scored 31 in 33 games. Sturridge got 21 too. The only reason they didn't win the thing was because Rodgers is an imbecile who doesn't know what a defence is.

Ridiculous. The only reason they got so close was because of Rodgers. Sure, he may be flawed, but for goodness sake, nobody but nobody expected them to challenge so he deserves some credit. Look how Coutinho, Sturridge, Sterling and Suarez all flourished under him. He's shown he's very good at developing attacking players. Nobody had even heard of Coutinho or Sterling, they were both young, and Suarez went to Liverpool for £20m, which was hardly huge money, and there was hardly a host of huge clubs after him. He was brilliant for Liverpool but the manager deserves credit for that. All three of those players went for huge sums. Their values were largely increased under Rodgers. 

I'm not saying he's the ideal choice, far from it. I'm saying give credit where it's due.

5 minutes ago, Argo said:

I would say it's a lot more viable than sticking to regime'a that are either broken beyond repair or simply not working. United desperately clinging onto Moyes and LVG set them back years, likewise Arsenal with Wenger (Conte has basically replicated Wenger's tenure there, he just did it in two years instead of 20 and skipped all the 4th place finishes).

Just because 1 season didn't go well it doesn't mean that the whole regime was broken beyond repair you know. I don't think United was so much faithful with Moyes he got sacked very fast and LVG just like Conte more or less. I just think we shouldn't be sacking so easy even if sacking Conte is the right decision but anyway a bit strange that you don't mention Ferguson but Moyes first :slap_face:

Just now, Davey Baby said:

Ridiculous. The only reason they got so close was because of Rodgers. Sure, he may be flawed, but for goodness sake, nobody but nobody expected them to challenge so he deserves some credit. Look how Coutinho, Sturridge, Sterling and Suarez all flourished under him. He's shown he's very good at developing attacking players. Nobody had even heard of Coutinho or Sterling, they were both young, and Suarez went to Liverpool for £20m, which was hardly huge money, and there was hardly a host of huge clubs after him. He was brilliant for Liverpool but the manager deserves credit for that. All three of those players went for huge sums. Their values were largely increased under Rodgers. 

I'm not saying he's the ideal choice, far from it. I'm saying give credit where it's due.

Brendan strength's as a manager would be in the elite bracket. What i mean by that is his youth development is in the bracket Zouma's last ditch challenges are. But what will always hold him back is his abysmal record in the market and his inability to coach defending to even an acceptable level.

Brendan strength's as a manager would be in the elite bracket. What i mean by that is his youth development is in the bracket Zouma's last ditch challenges are. But what will always hold him back is his abysmal record in the market and his inability to coach defending to even an acceptable level.

I hear you Argo and you may be right, but a manager that I love, Klopp, is also pretty disastrous defensively, at least I hope he will be on Saturday night.

8 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

I hear you Argo and you may be right, but a manager that I love, Klopp, is also pretty disastrous defensively, at least I hope he will be on Saturday night.

Klopp seems more dependant on personnel. Give him Lovren and Klavan and he'd be a disaster but since VVD arrived things have improved and i could be wrong but i think his back to back title teams at Dortmund with Hummels and Subotic conceded early 20's both times.

BR by comparison i feel could turn even a prime Maldini and Baresi duo into a disaster zone.

Edited by Argo

Klopp seems more dependant on personnel. Give him Lovren and Klavan and he'd be a disaster but since VVD arrived things have improved and i could be wrong but i think his back to back title teams at Dortmund with Hummels and Subotic conceded early 20's both times.

BR by comparison i feel could turn even a prime Maldini and Baresi duo into a disaster zone.

Have they improved? I rate VVD highly but they conceded a lot of goals against Roma, home and away. Those two late away goals they conceded were very telling. They also slipped down the table to fourth, and it wasn't because of a lack of goals.

Edit: Regarding Dortmund, his achievements there were fantastic, but they're largely playing against weak sides most weeks, so those stats need to be taken in that context.

Edited by Davey Baby

7 minutes ago, Argo said:

Also, what great defenders did Rodgers have, out of interest?

5 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

Edit: Regarding Dortmund, his achievements there were fantastic, but they're largely playing against weak sides most weeks, so those stats need to be taken in that context.

It's still a great achievement to win the league twice in a row though, specially when there is a Bayern that is superior in all aspects as a club...

Just now, Gol15 said:

It's still a great achievement to win the league twice in a row though, specially when there is a Bayern that is superior in all aspects as a club...

Totally agree. He's my favourite PL manager, unfortunately.

Until an official announcement or at least picture of the new manager at Cobham, I won’t look too much into rumors.

The media was certain Artera will be the new manager of Arsenal.. and suddenly it’s Emery and that came from Arsenal’s spokesman basically.

Atm, lot of things are kept in the dark in our club, even to people like Matt Law who seem to have some inside information.

I’m more surprised, there haven’t been any talks about the next DOF since Emenalo departure tbh. Wouldn’t be more logical to appoint a DOF first, then a manager and then to think about the squad? I guess we’re doing things backwards.

The club have their work cut out for them with the short summer this year.

7 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Got a feeling with this Russian thing going on that we might not sign any big players yet bring back all our loan players and strangely enough that might work quite well.

Jokanovic is being mentioned again in the press, feel if Villa win he might be coming back to SB.

Wouldn't be that bad in my opinion, knows English football, when ever we are linked with manager whose never managed in this country there is always a risk.

6 hours ago, Gol15 said:

I hope it's just someone taking the piss. If you're going to give the job to a no namer like that, might as well give it to Jody Morris. What are we going to f**king achieve with Jokanovic???

2 hours ago, Ledgerson said:

Until an official announcement or at least picture of the new manager at Cobham, I won’t look too much into rumors.

The media was certain Artera will be the new manager of Arsenal.. and suddenly it’s Emery and that came from Arsenal’s spokesman basically.

Atm, lot of things are kept in the dark in our club, even to people like Matt Law who seem to have some inside information.

I’m more surprised, there haven’t been any talks about the next DOF since Emenalo departure tbh. Wouldn’t be more logical to appoint a DOF first, then a manager and then to think about the squad? I guess we’re doing things backwards.

The club have their work cut out for them with the short summer this year.

Media also reported that Arteta asked Arsenal for control of transfers and a big transfer budget and that's what lost him the job. Emery reportedly had no problems with accepting what he was offered. 

What I've learned with the media over the years is that a lot of times when you see the same story in 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 outlets, it's probably true. They tend to throw sh*t against the wall to see if it sticks just to sell papers but they do have journos who have contacts at clubs and generally when almost everyone's reporting the same thing, it tends to be true.

9 hours ago, Gol15 said:

The difference is, Conte has fallen out with quite a few of our players and also refused to commit to us long term. I understand the desire for stability but the right manager is needed for that and Conte quite clearly isn't.

Zidane quite clearly wants to be a Real Madrid and quite clearly hasn't fallen out with his players, he also hasn't whined and attacked the board all season because he wasn't given 300 million worth of new players

Conte is way too confrontational to be a Chelsea manager long term. Wants to fight with everybody from opposing managers to the board to the refs to his own players. We've just about had enough of him. It's not like there's a sweetner in it like him promoting our youth (bar Christensen who was forced on him) either. 2 years, 2 trophies. Good run. Good riddance.