Glen Johnson

coco
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea agree terms with Pompey.

Chelsea have matched Liverpool's bid for England star Glen Johnson.

Portsmouth accepted a £17.5million bid from Liverpool earlier this week and the 24-year-old looked set to seal a move to Anfield.

However, Pompey chief Peter Storrie has confirmed the club have also now agreed terms with Chelsea - Johnson's former club.

The in-demand full-back now has a decision to make, with both sides keen to tie up a deal this week.

"The matter will come to a conclusion at the beginning of next week. I do not have a preference over the move, it is up to Glen," Storrie said.

"The deals are almost identical so it really is down to him and what club he prefers, which one is going to pay him more money.

"Glen wants to play regularly in the Champions League, he has got himself back in the England side so I understand that. Sometimes you have to be fair to players."

Storrie admits that Johnson needs to be playing Champions League football next season in order to secure his place in Fabio Capello's starting XI - with the World Cup finals now less than 12 months away.

"It's a big year for him with the World Cup coming up," he continued.

"Playing Champions League football will make him an even better player than he is today."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5388201,00.html

oh no. there must be a bigger deal coming if we are signing Johnno. Bosingwa to Bayern to sweeten the deal to land Ribery?

If this is just Carlo getting his way I hate Kenyon even more if it is possible.

I think your right. Cannot see any other reason behind it.

Funny, I would have thought Pompey would prefer to sell him to Liverpool as they still haven't fully paid for Crouch. Unless this means that we're using Bosingwa to get a swap deal for Ribery, then this is just silly. The price tag is about double the player's real value.

Funny, I would have thought Pompey would prefer to sell him to Liverpool as they still haven't fully paid for Crouch. Unless this means that we're using Bosingwa to get a swap deal for Ribery, then this is just silly. The price tag is about double the player's real value.

I think we often pay the transfer in a lump sum, whereas others pay over several years. So it could be in their interest to sell to us.

The only reason i can see this happening is to sweaten the Ribery deal. Which could be pointless if the player does'nt want to come here.

I hope we dont sell Bos for less money than we sign Johnson.

Cant help thinking this is a step backwards though.

Pathetic, especially for the money quoted.

If we're willing to spend £17m+ on him then the funds for players like Augero, Pato, Ribery, Zhirkov etc must be available, they are far more important buys.

Pathetic, especially for the money quoted.

If we're willing to spend £17m+ on him then the funds for players like Augero, Pato, Ribery, Zhirkov etc must be available, they are far more important buys.

Maybe you should read the above comments and see the bigger picture.

Glen comes in

Jose goes out

Ribery comes in

I missed the last three months of the Premiership season, so I'm wondering during those three months did Johnson suddenly become world class? Because for that kind of money he ruddy well better be.

F*ck me, I hate the silly season.

Edited by sweet waffle

Originally bought for £8m, sold for £4m and re-purchased for £17.5m

It's right up there with the Sheva, Crespo and Veron deals.

With business acumen like this, how the f*ck did Roman become one of the world's richest men in such a short space of time?

I wouldn't get to carried away with a deal for Ribery, Kenyon has a track record, and it aint all that, if my memory serves me right

Edited by BLUENUT

I think it is part of a bigger picture, we are the ones apparently leading the race for Ribery and have already made a bid for him. Bayern do not want anyone from Barca, Madrid or United but do really really really what Bosingwa. Jose would happily stay so it is not as if we are holding him back from signing for them.

Therefore the ball is in our park and we can dictate the tempo, I think Bosigwa will go to Bayern with a bit of cash and Ribery is ours. However for the life of me I cannot understand where Johnson 17.5mil transfer fee comes into it, he is no better then he was when we sold him so why are we paying double for him now ?

We have ivanovic for left back who I think is far better then Glen, maybe not going forward but in the air adn all around a far better player.

Glen comes in

Jose goes out

Ribery comes in

Maybe you should read my comments in the Bosingwa thread to notice that I do see the bigger picture before you make that sort of comment.

Edited by Gem

Originally bought for £8m, sold for £4m and re-purchased for £17.5m

It's right up there with the Sheva, Crespo and Veron deals.

With business acumen like this, how the f*ck did Roman become one of the world's richest men in such a short space of time?

I wouldn't get to carried away with a deal for Ribery, Kenyon has a track record, and it aint all that, if my memory serves me right

Spot on. :lol:

Glen comes in

Jose goes out

Ribery comes in

Well, the above comments are from us posters just guessing rather than someone with inside knowledge of what's actually happening. No one really knows what the truth is and whether Johnson to Chelsea/Bosingwa to Bayern moves are really happening, let alone us getting Ribery as a result.

oh no. there must be a bigger deal coming if we are signing Johnno. Bosingwa to Bayern to sweeten the deal to land Ribery?

If this is just Carlo getting his way I hate Kenyon even more if it is possible.

what? how the f**k can you land this one on kenyon? you say if this is carlo getting his way you hate kenyon. how the f**k does that work then? unbelievable. i realise the easy option is always to blame kenyon but what you said is utterly f**king ridiculous.

Grossly disappointed by the news.

Unless there really is much more to what we see, it makes no sense whatsoever to splash that much money on a player of unproven world-class quality, provided we have ample cover in his area.

But I guess the decision-makers in our team are not as stupid as we make them out to be and know what they are doing. There has to be a bigger picture !

what? how the f**k can you land this one on kenyon? you say if this is carlo getting his way you hate kenyon. how the f**k does that work then? unbelievable. i realise the easy option is always to blame kenyon but what you said is utterly f**king ridiculous.

has kenyon been ticklin your swingers or somethin?

i didn't understand what he meant either but i'm not that annoyed about it :lol:

It can't be the only reason, but I think we need more English and homegrown players in the squad, so maybe that's one reason. If Johnson comes, then it must mean that Bosingwa is leaving as I couldn't picture either him or Johnson being very eager to sit on the bench.

Grossly disappointed by the news.

Unless there really is much more to what we see, it makes no sense whatsoever to splash that much money on a player of unproven world-class quality, provided we have ample cover in his area.

But I guess the decision-makers in our team are not as stupid as we make them out to be and know what they are doing. There has to be a bigger picture !

if it means getting in ribery then i understand the signing. if its just a straight swap for bossy then its ridiculous. apparently munich are desperate for a right back at the moment so targeting bossy makes sense for them, and for us it wil make some kind of sense if carlo really wants ribery.