Michael Essien

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Midfield powerhouse, badly missed last season. Still not back to his best after being out injured for so long. Gets a bad rep from referees because of a couple of dodgy tackles early in his Chelsea career.

He's also filled in at the back in emergencies and is an extremely useful player to have around.

• 2 months later...

Essien is a shadow of his former self since returning from serious knee injuries. Two knee injuries - ACL and MCL - in two years is not good. They have deprived him of of his energy and pace. His shooting and distribution have markedly deteriorated. My main concern....has he been affected psychologically?

It's difficult to figure out what's ahead of him and I have serious misgivings about his future in football.

I sincerely hope he returns to the Essien of old!

Hasnt had a great season really, but i still think he would get in most people's first XIs. Very strong physically which always helps if the game gets scrappy, but he is a decent footballer as well. The goal against Barca couple years ago shows he has great quality. I also remember him for marking gerrard out of the game on a few occasions.

I'd swap you Denilson for Essien seeing as how some here think he's passed his peak...

Alright, alright we'll throw in Comedy Eboue as well.

By gum, you guys drive a hard bargain!!!

The day Eboue becomes a chelsea player is a sad, sad day in our history

Think hes had a terrible season tbh, should be doing a whole lot better now, had plenty of games back from the injury. Seems to have a cluster of really impressive games, and follows up with a longer spell of seemingly not pulling his weight. Still a valuable member of the squad overall.

defnitely looks burnt out, he hasn't got any zap or bite in his play...........he had good patch 4 matches earlier this season but bonkers foul on dempsey screwed that run up...............if you remember the week after (when suspended) he swanned off the africa to his pet-project - noble yes, but in my book he should've been here and training.

not sure if he has the desire any more and maybe other focuses playing a part

cant remember the last time he changed a game or was MOTM

sad but true

Another player who mysteriously went off rail and not coming back. It has to do with motivation, and i don't think the holding role suits his style. Time on the bench will give him the kick in the back side he needs, right now he knows he get picked automatically regardless of what happens.

World class on his day, but seriously off form at the moment and shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11, sad to say. Ramires is the only midfielder who looks fit for purpose at present, which is why our attack looks so toothless.

Essien is a shadow of his former self since returning from serious knee injuries. Two knee injuries - ACL and MCL - in two years is not good. They have deprived him of of his energy and pace. His shooting and distribution have markedly deteriorated. My main concern....has he been affected psychologically?

It's difficult to figure out what's ahead of him and I have serious misgivings about his future in football.

Agreed. Very difficult for any footballer in any code to reach their former standard on both fronts and complete recoveries are very low statistically.

Absolutely love Essien. But have to say this season he has been pretty poor. As others have said may be a mixture of psychological/physical problems, but it is quite worrying to see him lose the ball as often as he does, without any of the dynamism we've been used to from him. Probably worth benching him just to give him a break for a bit?

I'd swap you Denilson for Essien seeing as how some here think he's passed his peak...

Alright, alright we'll throw in Comedy Eboue as well.

By gum, you guys drive a hard bargain!!!

Give us Cesc plus Wiltshere (as an under study to super Josh) & you've got a deal.

BTW, something very strange happened last night, you could actually hear arsenal fans singing songs (as opposed to booing there own).

Hmmm, are you sure you'd like to go down that route, dude? Don't know if you know your fans' own history but as the saying goes:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. ;)

We talking about recent history? If so, we own a lot more than you bunch of mugs.

His problems have been magnified by recent average performances from Malouda, Lamps and Mikel who all seem to be out of sorts. I simply do not understand why CA didn't give Josh a chance 2nd half against Fulham, there seemed little to lose. off subject but what has happened to Yuri? malouda could do with some competition on the left.

His problems have been magnified by recent average performances from Malouda, Lamps and Mikel who all seem to be out of sorts. I simply do not understand why CA didn't give Josh a chance 2nd half against Fulham, there seemed little to lose. off subject but what has happened to Yuri? malouda could do with some competition on the left.

Started training again this week I read.