What are we to do now?

Zeta

83 members have voted

1. 1. What's it to be then?

• Sack Carlo and bring in someone until the end of the season
    • Stick with carlo until the end of the season, then sack him if we don't get CL football
    • Stick with carlo until the end of the season, then give him the funds to rebuild if we do get CL football
    • Stick with carlo until the end of the season, then give him funds to rebuild regards of CL qualification or not

Thoughts?

I know a lot of responses to the match thread have been emotional because it's only just finished, but in all honesty I think we knew this defeat was definitely on the cards before the game even started due to our terrible form.

Edited by BlueSkies

Our decline under Carlo this season has been steady and continuous. It shows no sign of being halted. You can plot a very straight line to where it is going to end, and I'm afraid it is not in the top 4 of the PL. I don't think this team can play any worse under any other manager, from Di Matteo to Zola to Guus Hiddink. If we allow Carlo to carry on we are going to play Europa next season at best.

There is also the precedent, that whenever we have sacked a failing manager in the past we have improved overnight. But this is not my key argument. I have followed our slump in form very carefully and steadily. Yes some of our players are past their best, but I have no doubt whatsoever that what we are seeing is a coaching/managerial crisis, and not a players's one.

Ancelotti has to go now. Our chance of beating Copenhagen is not going to be any worse with a temporary manager than it is with Carlo Ancelotti.

I hate to say it but Carlo needs to go, I dont think Hiddink wants to come back either so thats a shame. I dont think theres anyone out there to replace Carlo at this moment. Personally I think we're screwed. If we manage to somehow win the Champions League we automatically qualify for next season.

Also do people think if we dont get top 4 that Roman will give us funds in the summer to rebuild?

Edited by Bobbywoodhogan

You've gotta wonder how much squad size effects the quality of the training.

If they're practising going past/tackling inexperienced players like Sala and other reserves as opposed to Belletti, Ballack etc.

This summer got rid of Ballack, Belletti, J Cole, Carvalho and Deco (thats all of them right) and we didn't really replace them really at least not with the quality. We should have kept Ballack and personally I would have liked Belletti to stay aswell.

What about an option to stick with Carlo and give him the funds to build his own team even if we don't make the CL

I'd be happy to see this although I'm pretty sure it will be option 2 or 3 if we fail to make at least 4th place. I think our future looks good in the long term but there will be some short term struggles no matter who is in charge. A lot of dead wood that needs to be moved on before we can see the promising new team underneath. No matter which option we choose a bit of patience is in order from both the board and the fans. If we lose some of our newer followers because we don't win anything while we reshape the team then so be it. But we need to do this the right way.

This summer got rid of Ballack, Belletti, J Cole, Carvalho and Deco (thats all of them right) and we didn't really replace them really at least not with the quality. We should have kept Ballack and personally I would have liked Belletti to stay aswell.

I know, and that's the boards fault. Carlo wanted to keep Ballack. If you get rid of an important member of your squad against your manager's wishes then at least replace him or some of the others that you're also showing the door.

Can't decide how to vote. My first thought is the first option. We are falling and Carlo can't seem to stop it.

On the other hand, I'm starting to doubt that the players would perform better with someone else. And besides, is there a good option available?

I really don't know which way to go with this. As I've said on the match thread, I don't like all the chopping and changing of managers, we need stability. However finishing 5th when you were Champions the season before is hardly stable. The Champions League is what will decide Carlo's future, Roman went mad when we went out last season. Nothing less than winning it will do now. If I had to choose any I'd like to back him and hope he has a chance to build a side, however can we really carry on putting up with watching the football we've seen this season? No. More to the point, will Roman put up with it? Well judging by our record of sacking managers, No.

I really don't know which way to go with this. As I've said on the match thread, I don't like all the chopping and changing of managers, we need stability. However finishing 5th when you were Champions the season before is hardly stable. The Champions League is what will decide Carlo's future, Roman went mad when we went out last season. Nothing less than winning it will do now. If I had to choose any I'd like to back him and hope he has a chance to build a side, however can we really carry on putting up with watching the football we've seen this season? No. More to the point, will Roman put up with it? Well judging by our record of sacking managers, No.

That's the key point: Are playing football the right way? are we doing the right things?

Well no. We're really boring at the moment so there is no silver lining. We are solid defensively but our Midfield can't keep us the ball and it's all uphill from there.

Edited by Jimmy_blue

What we should do is rebuild our squad in the summer and look for a real LONG-TERM replacement for Carlo. Someone that can identify himself with the club even if he isnt a world class manager right now. Someone young, with fresh ideas and courage. Dan Petrescu comes to mind, not that I know if he is a good manager but I would welcome someone of his type.

I would be happy if we dont win anything next year but have a promising young squad with a fresh group of core players. Also we should change our transfer policy from buying already developed star players like Torres or over-priced squad players like Zhirkov to giving youth a real chance (lets be honest, we still dont play any youth players this season) and to buying players before they join a big team. (Ganso,Neymar for example)

Edited by german-blue

Here's a question,how can a team/manager combo that won a league title,scoring the highest number of goals in a 38 match season,suddenly be s**t due to the manager alone?.If the problems are deep rooted at the club,then no change of one man will effect a long term soloution.

Here's a question,how can a team/manager combo that won a league title,scoring the highest number of goals in a 38 match season,suddenly be s**t due to the manager alone?.If the problems are deep rooted at the club,then no change of one man will effect a long term soloution.

I think two things are the result of our free-fall:

a) World Cup year, with most of our players being WC players, and thus not much time to recover for the new season, and

B) All of the major players getting 'old' at the same time

What about an option to stick with Carlo and give him the funds to build his own team even if we don't make the CL

For me, missing out on the CL qualification would be a huge dent in Ancelotti's reputation.

I can understand that he had to work with the squad somebody else had assembled and the key players are clearly past their prime. Also, lack of speed and creativity, especially in midfield has been a major problem in need to to be addressed years before he'd taken over and is not his fault. But you can't tell me this squad isn't good enough to finish in the top four.

The fact that he seems clueless as to how turn things around with the team that has struggled for months(!) makes one wonder whether he is the right choice for a long term. Every top manager faces tough times with their clubs but most seem to be able to get a reaction out of their players sooner or later when things go wrong. This season's rut has been going on for so long, I have a feeling neither the team, nor the manager have any faith left in each other.

It almost feels like watching an old farm animal on its last breath, huffing and puffing, laboring to stay on its shaky feet, hoping deep inside you'll take a pity on it and put it out of its misery.

Edited by abramovich

Doesn't matter whether it's fair or not. The only way to get out of this slump is to change the manager. He has had long enough to turn things around and there is no sign that he can do it.

There is no point giving him the money to build his own team. He can't manage this one so what makes anyone think he will be able to manage a brand new one - not that that is a realistic option anyway.

I think phillip,the brutle truth is that the team as a hole and some of the inividuals in it have peaked,we could change the backroom staff if it makes us feel better, but the team's time as a winning unit is comming to an end.It happens in all sports,not just football,but in the premier league unlike others,it just shows up that much quicker.