Players Who Surprised You

ace

Was looking for other ways for us to pass the time.

Just thought I'd start up another thread for us to talk about players who have fared a lot better than we thought they ever would, or for those players who were deemed to be the next big thing in football, whether from people who actually know the game or just FM ratings,l and are now sitting on the bench at a relegated club.

I put this in the football forum and not Chelsea because I think the conversation would be more fun and less heated if we focus on non-Chelsea players, as we all know this thread would turn into a 20-pager centered on Kalou.

I'll throw some names out there off the top of my head: Lukas Podolski will never be the center forward he was hyped up to be, Nani has developed into a player much better than I ever thought he would be after he was hailed as Ronaldo's replacement, and somewhat related to Nani, Anderson is not the attacking threat I originally thought ManU had secured when they got him and Nani a couple seasons ago.

Edited by ace

Freddy Adu, was suppose to be hyped up as a superstar and what's he doing now, second division in Turkey?

Heh just took a look he's still owned by Benfica they've just been loaning him out since 2007

Giovanni Dos Santos is another whose disapointed, talked up as the new Ronaldinho and while he's showed glimpses of form with Mexico, at club level he still needs to do so much more. Although how much of that is down to bad manager guidance getting him to move clubs constantly or going to the wrong places

Freddy Adu, was suppose to be hyped up as a superstar and what's he doing now, second division in Turkey?

Heh just took a look he's still owned by Benfica they've just been loaning him out since 2007

Giovanni Dos Santos is another whose disapointed, talked up as the new Ronaldinho and while he's showed glimpses of form with Mexico, at club level he still needs to do so much more. Although how much of that is down to bad manager guidance getting him to move clubs constantly or going to the wrong places

Good call on Dos Santos, he was one of the ones I was thinking of when I first thought of this thread.

Next to Adu, I'd throw in Jozy Altidore. Something about Americans getting too much pressure thrust on them at a young age and not being able to respond to it. Conversely, Dempsey and Holden have looked very good in the EPL and Donovan had a pretty nice loan spell at Everton, all of which surprised me.

Also, Hitsu, while Adu has definitely been a disappointment to us in America for his lack of development, I guess him being stuck in the 2nd Turkish League made him realize how he needs to start working harder and improve his game. He's still only 21. He came on last night in the Gold Cup semis and helped assist for the game-winning goal. Of course there are already die-hard American fans putting last night's highlights up on youtube haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAMp7bkzNOY

Peter Marinello

The Scotish George Best. I remember all the hype when he signed for Arsenal for a record fee.

The media loved him for about 2 months until it all started to go down the pan. Just checked

his record and it is even worst than I remember.

3 seasons - played 51 - goals 5

Joaquin: first saw him at Betis and with the hype around him signing for us, I thought here was a new Figo or thereabouts. In my opinion he stayed in Betis too long, should've got out of Spain while he had the chance.

Ronaldinho: No doubting that talent-wise he was on the same level as the greats of the game. I can't believe it fell away so quickly in two years.

Cristiano Ronaldo: From a tricky show-pony to the second best player on the planet in a matter of years. An incredible transformation and whatever questions I have about his personality and diving they are secondary to him being a living example of what hard work can do. Did anyone seriously think he would be one of the world's best players while at United?

Zlatan Ibrahimovic: When he moved from Ajax and indeed even after his time at Juventus, I didn't think he would actually be a decent player. Sorry, Brian M.

Adriano: One of the worst things about professional football are despite building multimillion-dollar human performance setups top clubs often lack basic support services particularly in the area of mental health. Adriano's depression went undiagnosed and lost him potentially brilliant career and very nearly cost him a lot more.

Tim Cahill: Never, ever rated him.

And I know you said non-Chelsea but I can't resist:

Petr Cech: I was MORE than a little pissed off that Carlo Cudicini had been given the boot. Who the f**k was this lanky 24-year old from some pub team in France, and how can he waltz in and replace one of the greatest keepers in Chelsea's history?

Edited by SydneyChelsea

I'm sorry ace I just couldnt resist. I thought Kalou was going to be the next best thing since sliced bread. I cant believe how wrong I was.

Non Chelsea, the players whose careers have taken a surprising trajectory for me are Rossi because of all the hype surrounding him when he was at United and then being out of favor. Now Barca are rumored to be chasing him. Hope we havent made the same mistake with Borini. Another who I had pretty high hopes of...and Stoch. Really really surprised we didnt give him a chance after his loan spell.

Antonio Valencia: Thought he was nothing but a decent hard working player at Wigan. But once he moved to ManU, its like he's been instantly transformed into this super strong, ultra pacy winger with laser guided crosses.

Chicharito: Looked like a fat lump of fat to me at the world cup.

Jack Wilshere: I know he was always highly rated, but I watched him at Bolton and thought whats the big deal. This season he's well and truly shown me

Joe Cole::lol:

Frank Lampard - I remember being outraged that we'd signed someone I thought would end up being the next Steve Lomas for £11m, and from the Pikies of all people. My only hope was that Emmanuel Petit could teach him a thing or two...

Fast forward ten years and he is the Premier League Player of the Decade. I've never been more happy to be wrong about a player.

"I think I can take my game on from here and win a lot of medals with the club. Hopefully I can test myself against the best players in Europe and we can contest for trophies."

What a load of rubbish - we'll have sold him to Millwall for 500k in three years' time.

Joaquin: first saw him at Betis and with the hype around him signing for us, I thought here was a new Figo or thereabouts. In my opinion he stayed in Betis too long, should've got out of Spain while he had the chance

Good one, I'd go along with him too, I was desperate for us to sign him at one point.

Kalou once snuck up on me at the petrol station and surprised me by shouting boo, I damn near sh*t myself.

Edited by dkw

On a Chelsea front

Ambrosetti

Jody Morris

Babyayroo

Kalou

Kezman

Sutton

Sheva

Laudrup – What a waste of talent . Most naturally gifted footballer ever to put on a blue shirt could easily have been our Cantona if he wanted

Have all failed to live up to their signing hype and underachieved for us .

On the flip side

Le Beouf

Petit

Vinny Jones – a much better player than people ever give him credit for

Lamaprd – as above

………..and I did not understand why we paid 4.5 million for a 30 year old midget , well past his best and too fragile for the premier league …………….didn’t do too bad did he young Zola !

I don’t think Ibrahomvic has every lived up to the level he is capable of

Cantona at Man Utd and Leeds

David Beckham

Henry

Bergkamp

Tony Adams – for all the stick he got at the start sobered up and became one hell of player.

Good Shout on Adriano

Edited by Tea Bar Boy

Did you still get your windscreen washed by him ?

Nah he missed the windscreen....tried again and missed again. Kept trying and missed another 7 or 8 times. Then he got it right, flicked the rag up with his right knee, chested it past the side mirror, caught it on the end of his penis and samba`d his way across the windscreen....then he tried to pick up another rag and fell over it, then threw the next one into a passing crowd. Marvellous.

Kieron Dyer looked great to begin with but after the first few injuries he never got going again.

Lee Holmes Derby left winger had every major English club chasing him a few years back when he was 16 and now he's in league 1 or 2

Rooney. I thought this guy would be as good as Maradona but he's only had 1 good season with Utd and Drogba still outscored him while playing fewer games. I think Fergie ruined him changing his position constantly in the first few seasons

You speaking of Rooney reminded me of some of the English players of the last couple of years:

Dean Ashton was supposed to be the next great English striker until injuries ruined his career (so I guess not all his fault for failing to perform) but I've also been surprised at how Barry and Milner have turned out. Same with Agbonglahor, I thought he was going to be a star.

Although they aren't as bad as the ones I just mentioned and contribute at club and country semi-regularly, Lennon and Walcott haven't become the world-class wingers we were promised they would be.

Nah he missed the windscreen....tried again and missed again. Kept trying and missed another 7 or 8 times. Then he got it right, flicked the rag up with his right knee, chested it past the side mirror, caught it on the end of his penis and samba`d his way across the windscreen....then he tried to pick up another rag and fell over it, then threw the next one into a passing crowd. Marvellous.

:laugh2: Fantastic...

Frank Lampard!

Dont know if its already been mentioned but when we signed him we where in for Giovani Van Bronkhurst as well. I despratly wanted to sign the latter as frank came accross as a good hardworking center mid but that was about as a high a praise as i could have given him at the time.

I had been inmpresed by what I had seen fo Gio for holland and rangers, I was seduced by the idea that silky dutch skills must be better then an "industries English player) Essentialy I made the old mistake of believe the Champ Manager stats along with the paper hype over what i couls see with my own eyes. Gio went to arse, we got frank. I think he did ok with the Arse but he's nothing like the player lampard has turned out to be. Can any one honestly say they ever expected frank lampard at some stage in his career standing only second to a rampent and fashoinable ronaldinio on the world player of the year podium. He is the only midfielder in the top 15 all time prem goal scoreres, his assist ratio season after season is huge. And dont believe the drivel around his england career. The whole team is a let down. for two solid years frank pretty much caried the set up, no one did more then him to help us qualify for the 2006 world cup.

Never saw it coming

Cristiano Ronaldo: From a tricky show-pony to the second best player on the planet in a matter of years. An incredible transformation and whatever questions I have about his personality and diving they are secondary to him being a living example of what hard work can do. Did anyone seriously think he would be one of the world's best players while at United?

thought he was always very good, liked a few to many touches at times but saw him playing for portugal u21 before untied signed him with the veron money they got... I think he was so far above his pears then it was obviuse and I said to my mate, best player the world inside of 6 years.... who the hell knew about the scrawny argentinian kid on growth hormoans