Welcome ULISES DAVILA

Hutch
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

We've apparently just signed, or are about to sign him for around £1.75 million.

He's a 20 year old Mexican attacking midfielder and he hasn't got a work permit so will be going out on loan. This is from wikipedia:

Ulises Alejandro Dávila Plascencia (born 13 April 1991 in Guadalajara, Jalisco) is a Mexican professional footballer currently playing as an Attacking Midfielder. He currently plays for Chelsea, having been signed for a reported fee of 1.75 million pounds on August 23, 2011.

And here he is in action:

Looks good. Can strike a ball with either foot and scores headers too. Most of the goals in the clip were for Mexico but I'm guessing it was fort the kids rather than then first eleven if a work permit is a problem? If however if he now playing regularly for the first team then the permit might be a possibility

Just read he's going straight on loan to Vitesse so my theory above is bollocks (as is a lot of what I say)

Edited by geezer

I posted this in the random rumours thread earlier;

I'd like this to be true. What with Piazon, let's get more south and central american flair on the books. This kind of thing really would suggest the club have an eye on a more flamboyant football style in the future. And it could help avoid Neymar type sagas.

Having seen those clips he does look like the type of pacey flair player we need. I really hope this is true.

But following the Rajkovic shambles I do have some concern about the work permit business. Playing in Holland on loan didn't help Rajkovic much.

Also, at a mere 5'7" we could end up with the shortest midfield in the league if we get him and Modric and play them alongside Mata!!

Edited by Snedger

I posted this in the random rumours thread earlier;

Having seen those clips he does look like the type of pacey flair player we need. I really hope this is true.

But following the Rajkovic shambles I do have some concern about the work permit business. Playing in Holland on loan didn't help Rajkovic much.

Also, at a mere 5'7" we could end up with the shortest midfield in the league if we get him and Modric and play them alongside Mata!!

To be fair it wasn't the playing in Holland that stuffed Rajkovic, it was the fact he got himself banned from international football for so long therefore he couldn't play enough games to satisfy the quota of getting a permit

To be fair it wasn't the playing in Holland that stuffed Rajkovic, it was the fact he got himself banned from international football for so long therefore he couldn't play enough games to satisfy the quota of getting a permit

Of course. I had kind of forgotten about that.

So how come Arsenal can get a work permit for a 16 year old japanese kid, but we can't for established internationals?

Because he's Mexican and the other is Japanese? And I think there's some rule which says you have to have played in 75% first team international matches over 2 years or you don't count as an international.

I have no knowledge at all of British immigration law, so I am probably horribly wrong with the above guess. Apologies if I am, in advance.

Now the story's reached TalkSport:

Chelsea close in on young Mexican striker

Ulises davila.jpg

Chelsea are close to signing promising Mexico striker Ulises Davila in a deal that would result in him being loaned to affiliate club Vitesse for a season.

Chelsea scouts monitored Davila at the CONCACAF Under-20 World Cup last year and have kept an eye on him since then.

Numerous other clubs have also expressed an interest in the 20-year-old, most notably Ajax, but Davila expects to be confirmed as a Chelsea player this week, according to sources in Holland.

The young striker does not qualify for a work permit which means Andre Villas-Boas will send him on loan to Dutch club Vitesse for a year.

LINK

Status update. First the Dutch original:

Jordania: Davila aanwinst Vitesse

ARNHEM - Ulises Davila is de volgende nieuwe speler van Vitesse. Dat bevestigt eigenaar Merab Jordania. "Dat is voor 99% zeker", zegt de Georgiër die donderdag toeschouwer was bij de training op Papendal. Davila wordt gehuurd van Chelsea. Hij komt over van Chivas de Guadalajara.

Jordania zegt verder over de 20-jarige Mexicaan: "Hij kan heel goed op de vleugels spelen, maar ook op het middenveld. Een groot talent."

De clubbaas ging ook nog in op de toekomst. "We willen nog een centrale verdediger, maar dat gebeurt waarschijnlijk in de laatste dagen van de transfermarkt."

And from Google Tranlate:

Jordania: Davila gain Vitesse

ARNHEM - Ulises Davila is the next new player Vitesse. This confirms Merab Jordania owner. "That is 99% certain", says the Georgian audience on Thursday was at the training Papendal. Davila is leased from Chelsea. He comes over from Chivas de Guadalajara.

Jordania says more about the 20-year-old Mexican, "He can play very well on the wings, but also in midfield. A great talent."

The club owner was also in the future. "We want a central defender, but that is probably in the last days of the transfer market."

Yes, I believe so.

Not exactly out of nowhere, but again good to see us signing some promising young talent. Kudos to Hutch for spotting this a while back.

So, are we loaning him to Vitesse after the signing?

http://www.chelseafc...2434327,00.html

"Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Mexican Under-20 international Ulises Davila from Chivas.

Davila, who has signed a five-year contract, can play either as an attacking midfielder or a forward.

Standing 5ft 7in, he is accomplished with the ball at his feet and a fine finisher with a strong team ethic."

Edited by Bacon Face

Ah i see. I'm guessing this isn't an AVB signing.

How do you work that out? I only posted the original rumour thread four days ago!

What's lacking from the report on the official site is any mention of the work permit that he was said not to have got, or of the loan that Vitesse have already announced.