Chelsea v Liverpool (PL) 20/11/11 KO 16:00 GMT

A match we need to win for all sorts of reasons ..

1. AVB needs to win a big game, for his confidence and the players' confidence in him as much as anything.

2. We need to keep within touching distance of Utd and City.

3. It's Liverpool.

4. Top four is by no means a formality this season.

My thoughts ..

1. Ivan at RB. That would do nicely.

2. No Malouda.

3. Torres to bag a hattrick.

4. Me to keep taking the pills.

Under Grandpa Kenny Liverpool seem to revert to a 4-5-1 in away games to 'bigger' teams (as evidenced in away games to Tottenham and Arsenal), which presumably means we'll be seeing them sit back and hit us on the counter. As far as I'm aware Stevie Me is still injured so we'll have the pleasure of seeing Jordan Henderson playing against us.

As far as I can tell this will be their lineup:

--------------------------------------Reina

Kelly/Skrtel----------Carjacker------------Agger-------------Enrique

Downing-------------Adam-------Lucas-----Henderson---------Kuyt

-------------------------------------Suarez

So hopefully we'll see something along these lines:

----------------------------------Cech

Ivanovic--------------Luiz----------------Terry------------Cole

-----------------------------------Mikel

-----------------------Ramires---------Lampard

-------------Anelka-------------Drogba (?)----------Mata

I hope Bosingwa is absolutely nowhere near this fixture and also hope that Luiz is on his best behaviour. It's a shame that Essien isn't about for this one as I'd love to see him kick seven shades of sh*t out of Lucas "poor man's Mikel" Leiva. I'm also entirely unsure about including Torres. He was a complete disaster last time and with Liverpool sitting back and getting in his face I don't know whether or not he'll be able to have a real grip on the game. Ideally this would be the moment that Drogba steps in to slay his old foes (again) but after a few games out I wonder whether or not he'll be ready. At least he'll come into the game with something to prove...

Also the reason I left out Sturridge was because of his generally sub-par performances in our big games to date. In addition Enrique is one of the league's better left-backs, it has to be said. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to seeing him come on in the second half if the experienced head of Anelka proves to be too cool and he's anonymous for the first sixty minutes, which isn't out of the question if we're being honest with ourselves.

Like that 11 but Torres has to play as hes our best choice at the moment. If anyone can beat Enrique its Sturridge with his trickery and pace and we need that "unpredictable" player!

Looking forward to it, hopefully a good day.

I agree. There is no way Torres doesn't play this one. Drogba hasn't played in a match in how long and should be start. He can come on late after Torres puts a couple in. As far as Sturridge, we need his pace on the right side. Ivan will probably play RB so putting Anelka over there would slow down that side a lot.

I'm quite confident about this. I think we need to be looking at the way Spuds tore them to pieces. Unlike last time we played the dippers, I believe Torres has to start this, forget the miss we look much better with him in the side.

Liverpool tend to win big games in midfield so I'd like to maybe see a 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 approach to this game

Sorry but if we're to win this Bosingwa just can't play. Suarez and Downing would have an absolute field day, we need proper defenders for this game and preferably a high line.

Nothing against Mikel, but this is the sort of game we need quick incisive passing to break them down. I rate Mikel but he can be sloppy. If Dalglish has any sense he'll line up like this..

061111201849.png

I would imagine Gerrard wouldn't be fully match fit so won't start but he will almost certainly use Kuyt and Downing not only to make runs and attack our full backs but also to protect Johnson, Enrique and their two CM's, both of whom have looked suspect.

Therefore we should line up like this IMO, I take Plokoons point on Enrique, IMO he is the best LB in the league at the moment ahead of Ashley and Baines, I could see him having Sturridge all day, he made light work of Walcott and Park

061111201419.png

Edited by Myles_91

Very thought out Myles but Mireless is not a defensive midfielder. He's cover for that position at best. Romeu would be my first choice, failing that we'd have to stick with Mikel. If Lampard wasn't playing so well I'd have Romeu, Ramires, Mireless as I think that gives us the best energy and creativity in midfield - but it'd be stupid to omit him at the moment so one of Rambo/Mireless has to start on the bench.

Torres should be fully fired up for this, hoping for a united away second half again.

And those speaking about enrique, his defending has been pretty sh*t at times tbh.

Definatly Start mata torres and studdg, and defence would play ivan luiz terry ash. Midfield I dont know, Ramires and lamps but not sure who should play in the hole.

How I would love it if we won and both Torres and Meireles scored.

According to the scousers Torres was going downhill and they laughed at us for paying so much for him. Meireles was perhaps their best player but they still didn't value him and they laughed at us yet again for paying anything to get him.

We all know scousers are morons, but let's rub it in a bit more with goals from both ex-scousers that now wears the true blue colour.

So you swap him for Anelka? The biggest big-game bottler the world has ever seen?

I assume you wouldn't have preferred Malouda or [especially] Kalou? If we teach Bosingwa how to cross he could play there. The amount of defending he does is probably suitable for a forward.

Edited by PloKoon13

Now for this game... It's at the bridge, it's a must win in my eyes! Our defense has been questionable, our midfield is questionable at times... An our attack has been both good and bad..

Liverpool have been good and have similar issues to us. Carrol isn't scoring, their relying on Suarez too much. Their midfield doesn't have the strength as it used to and their defense has been good at times but also a shocker

It's a must win and usually in these situations Chelsea perform an just meet expectations...

If our defense holds their stuff Liverpool will be shut down. I think it will be 2-0 and a second clean sheet for the blue boys..

KTBFFH!!

Chelsea win.

Torres scores.

You go into hiding.

If he scores be assured I will strip naked and a runner in the street!. Him scoring against Liverpool would be out of this world. Personally for him and from a Chelsea perspective

1-1..same old story, missed chances and give up a sloppy goal. I want to be positive but just can't get enthusiatic of late; we still have a long way to go in terms of consistency.

After reading this I have to agree... Though I can honestly see us bouncing back

2-3

We'll score first, probably through Lampard. Then they'll hit us with some soft goals because of our poor defence, I imagine both Suarez and Carroll will score, just to ensure the scouse w**kfest at the end. They'll go 3-1 up, we'll rally late on because we seem to onloy really try hard when we're already losing, and we'll snatch a goal back through Ivanovic from a corner. But it won't be enough and I'll have to not use the internet for a few days afterwards so I don't have to read scouser gloating.

Good news is that Liverpool had trouble with Swansea. Bad news is we had a bit of trouble with Blackburn. This one seems like a toss up to me. I agree w/moeski ...Liverpool seems to be having some similar problems right now. Agree that it is a must win now that the Spurs are nipping at our heels after their last win.

Hoping Cech can turn in another monster performance to help out our defense.

Sturridge---Torres----Mata. Put someone in midfield on Adam to disrupt them. And make sure Luiz doesnt do anything rash when he's marking Suarez. If we choke that midfield off, we can kill the supply to the forwards. Do that, and I think we will definiltey win, becuase their outside players just arent good enough to get it done on their own.

Danny has got to start for me. And Torres and Mata have to be up there with him. If that front three are on song they will blow Jamie Carjacker straight back into the Giro line