Sturridge

BrewCrew

There is an article on ESPN about Danny. A lot about how he should be playing more central. I for one agree. He should be playing more central and could have a much more of an impact. Kind of like how Welbeck does. Lots of people say we need a new striker but put Danny in the middle and go for some actual wingers.

http://espn.go.com/s...-chelsea-soccer

What I don't like about the article is that they kind of make him seem like an arrogant person. Yes, he can be selfish sometimes, but what good striker isn't? He wants to succeed and he needs to be put in the right place to succeed.

Edited by BrewCrew

He's generally quite a selfish player, often tries to do too much himself, so I think he'd do better in a central role where often selfishness can be a bonus. PLaying as a winger where is main responsibility is to create for others, constantly trying to beat everyone and shoot himself isn't very helpful. Certianly if Torres doesn't improve by about 500% he should be sold in the summer and Sturridge given the main striker role.

In the AVB"s Future thread I dared to whisper some concerns about Studge. A couple of gentlement didn't agree. Here are my concerns about the young man, in more detail.

Sturridge is a tremendously exciting player. Everyone feels that. His runs, his pace, his desire, they give you hope. When he's on, his shot is excellent. His goals have been invaluable. He frightens defenses and he creates problems.

Nevertheless, he's a problem child.

If I had to sum it up in a single phrase, it's this: He's not a team player.

Sturridge is highly focused on his wants, to the exclusion of the team needs. Studge wants to be a center forward and he hasn't shown a willingness to change his game to be a right forward. It's not his tracking back that's the biggest issue, although that's part of it.

It's his passing. Or the lack of it. If you accept that the goal drought from the centerforward position is a serious problem this season, then you have to look at Sturridge's unwillingness to pass, and his poor quality of passes, as a major reason for the drought. New position? Possibly. (Did he play CF for Citeh? Can't remember. I wonder if he played CF in training the past few seasons?)

I understand that very few people here will agree with me. But I think that a major part of Studge's poor passing is his mentality. He doesn't want to pass. He wants to score. He wants to be a CF. He doesn't want to shape his game to the needs of the team.

And I think that mentality is hurting Chelsea as much as it helps them team.

Sturridge is "hurting" Chelsea - absolute lol

I can think of at least a dozen other players that have performed worse and cost us more points

Yes, scoring many goals and having brilliant flashes in many big games really hurts us.

Sturridge is "hurting" Chelsea - absolute lol

I can think of at least a dozen other players that have performed worse and cost us more points

Yes, scoring many goals and having brilliant flashes in many big games really hurts us.

That's the sort of response I was expecting!

You have no concerns about his passing?

In the AVB"s Future thread I dared to whisper some concerns about Studge. A couple of gentlement didn't agree. Here are my concerns about the young man, in more detail.

Sturridge is a tremendously exciting player. Everyone feels that. His runs, his pace, his desire, they give you hope. When he's on, his shot is excellent. His goals have been invaluable. He frightens defenses and he creates problems.

Nevertheless, he's a problem child.

If I had to sum it up in a single phrase, it's this: He's not a team player.

Sturridge is highly focused on his wants, to the exclusion of the team needs. Studge wants to be a center forward and he hasn't shown a willingness to change his game to be a right forward. It's not his tracking back that's the biggest issue, although that's part of it.

It's his passing. Or the lack of it. If you accept that the goal drought from the centerforward position is a serious problem this season, then you have to look at Sturridge's unwillingness to pass, and his poor quality of passes, as a major reason for the drought. New position? Possibly. (Did he play CF for Citeh? Can't remember. I wonder if he played CF in training the past few seasons?)

I understand that very few people here will agree with me. But I think that a major part of Studge's poor passing is his mentality. He doesn't want to pass. He wants to score. He wants to be a CF. He doesn't want to shape his game to the needs of the team.

And I think that mentality is hurting Chelsea as much as it helps them team.

Cmon man. On a team that lacks flair, creativity, and goals you think he hurts the team? What would you want more? A somewhat selfish Danny who scores goals consistently or a strikers who can pass that rarely scores?(not mentioning any names)

I'm mostly with you, wxwax.

On the one hand, Sturridge is our leading scorer, correct? He's got the most speed on the pitch for us. He forces opponents to play a little more cautiously on the left, as they have to respect that he's looking to get behind them. He shows the killer instinct near goal that Torres seems to have lost.

On the other hand, he won't pass. On the odd occasion he does, it's generally not very good. He doesn't track back on defense enough, and even when he does, there's not much effort to actually stop the opposition. His selfishness has gone too far, as he often forces shots through multiple defenders instead of laying it off for an open teammate. And his dribbling leaves much to be desired. At a stand still, he's good at quick step overs and fooling the defender to buy himself a tiny bit of space. But at a full sprint, he loses the ball way, way too easily. And it sort of neutralizes the threat his speed should pose.

I believe I said this in the ManU game thread, but despite scoring, I believe Sturridge actually had a negative net effect on the game for us. He negated his own goal with a penalty conceded, and he killed so many of our attacks before they really got going because he didn't look to involve teammates and spread the defense.

Look, at a basic level I get that what I'm saying seems odd. I defend Torres, despite him not scoring. And I'm criticizing Sturridge, despite him being the leading scorer. I understand that sounds crazy. But the reason for it is simple: Torres is trying to do all the right things. He's setting up teammates, he's tracking back on defense, he's actually starting to dribble past defenders again, and he busts his butt for 90 minutes. Sturridge can't really be bothered to hustle unless the ball is at his feet, and there's a chance to shoot.

The two of them need to be locked in a room together and until each of their personalities rubs off a little on the other. A little more confidence and selfishness would do Torres a world of good, and a little more team-first attitude would do the same for Sturridge.

**EDIT: I should add this -- until somebody else starts to score too, Danny sort of has to be selfish. Him learning to pass, and pass well, doesn't do much good either if whoever he passes to can't finish the chance.

Edited by TrojanMan

I dont like his play in this role, he has scored more goals then Mata but who is more important in our play overall ? Mata ofcourse, goals are only important (on their own) if its some 25+ figure, i would rather play a winger with a few assists then having a CF who score 10-15 goals but literally dont do anything else positive.

Edited by Rami

It's very interesting that he hasn't once scored when Torres has been playing. Is that a coincidence? Do you think it's because defenders play a closer eye to him, knowing he is the main threat when Didier isn't around?

Also I think we've all been well informed that he is a 'Big Time Charlie' no surprise he is a bit selfish every now and then, but he has a great instincts in the penalty area and he has won us more points than he has lost. I like him on the right, Kevin Keegan who first gave him a shot always thought that was his best spot and I agree with him. He should be picked there for many years to come.

I dont think also that AVB rates him high, he dont fit in the passing mood, overall i think if he was in our squad 2005-2006 with these skills he wouldnt even be on the bench.I feel like just because our team class is overall pretty low atm he is starter, next year he would rather be our main CF or benched.

I dont think also that AVB rates him high, he dont fit in the passing mood, overall i think if he was in our squad 2005-2006 with these skills he wouldnt even be on the bench.I feel like just because our team class is overall pretty low atm he is starter, next year he would rather be our main CF or benched.

He couldn't compete with Robben but he'd probably start more games with his injuries.

I think people are being a bit ridiculous here. He's a CF basically retraining as a winger. He isn't a winger in his own mind. Of course he isn't going to have all the attributes you'd expect them to have. At the moment he's stuck in attacking mode. The best wingers know when to attack and when to support, Sturridge should learn this in time. He has all the physical attributes you want in a winger, he just needs to learn the mindset. He hasn't even been at it for six months yet and people are on his back.

I can understand why he'd be upset about not getting a crack at his favoured position with Torres being so dire. He thinks he can do a better job, and he probably could. But I don't think he's the type of striker AVB wants, especially when he has the attributes to fulfil the Hulk role. AVB's Porto had a traditional left winger, a target man and a right inside forward. Central and right was very attack orientated while the left was more about providing service. I think he wants Sturridge to be that.

Even Messi has negatives. It's about what he does well vs what he does wrong and to me he has been a very good player for us.

Hmmm, I'm finding it hard to think of any, other than a bit of a naff hair-cut!!

I'm inclined to agree with most of what wxwax, there are times where if Sturridge passes the chances are we score, but he doesn't, I'm sure there's been points we've dropped where this has happened, but he's won us our fair share of points. If he would just put the team first, which is the most important thing as a football player, no? He'd be even better, saying that, at 22 you wouldn't expect him to be the finished article.