Prometheus - new Alien film.

dkw

So this looks all kinds of bloody brilliant. A new Ridley Scott film set in the Alien universe, it precedes the original Alien film but is not directly connected to it.

Lovely little trailer...

Apparently H.R. Giger's been involved in the design process in some capacity.

Yeah, doing the murals on the walls apparently, nice link to the original film. The space Jockey looks pretty amazing so I wondered if he also had some input into that.

Looks amazing, but I've yet to see any of the original Alien films, shocking I know. I'll get on them before the film comes out!

Don't worry if you don't have time to watch the fourth one. It's as bad as, if not worse than the fourth Indiana Jones. One of the worst movies I've actually paid to see on a big screen. Some visually neat scenes here and there, but other than that, it's utter garbage.

Looks amazing, but I've yet to see any of the original Alien films, shocking I know. I'll get on them before the film comes out!

Get the Quadrology from Amazon for about £30, the first 3 are superb but as Maks says the 4th isn`t that good.

I like the trailer, but I'm a bit disappointed that we don't get much information about what the movie is about. But perhaps that's intentional, so we can keep guessing until the movie comes out.

There's quite a few things from the first Alien movie, so it will take place where they found the aliens in the first one, but there's no sign of the actual aliens. I guess we will see them, because it would be quite odd otherwise.

But atleast it feels a bit like the first alien movie. Not much action, but more psychological thriller, which is nice.

Will have to see this one as soon as it comes out. I just pray that it's not massively disappointing, which wont take much, seeing as the original Alien movies are great.

I know some hate the fourth one, but even though it isn't as good as the first three, I still think it's okay. It's different and slightly interesting.

But the first one is the best, the 2nd one almost as good, the third one a bit worse, but still really good.

But the first one is the best, the 2nd one almost as good, the third one a bit worse, but still really good.

Got to agree with you Moos about the 1st and 2nd. I thought the 3rd was good, but a significant drop off from the 1st and 2nd.

Still, seeing this trailer got me excited to see the movie. I also hope it's not disappointing.

The first one was amazing. Not just because it was fantastically frightening. It was also original, superbly executed and it started a franchise of films that continues to chug along 25 years later. And we saw Sigourney Weaver in her knickers. Especially that.

I fear that this new one will feel like Alien warmed-over. I do like the big, round space helmets, though. Nice retro touch.

I fear that this new one will feel like Alien warmed-over.

I got the impression from this article that I read, that if you didn't know it was somehow supposed to be connected to the Alien movies, you might not even see the connection. I understand we won't be seeing THE alien(no facehuggers, chestbursters, etc.) from the quadrology and this will be very much a stand alone movie. The trailer mentions it's from the director of Blade Runner and Gladiator, but no mention of Alien, so I reckon that they don't want to market it as a prequel. Which is clever, considering it apparently is not a prequel in the traditional sense.

I got the impression from this article that I read, that if you didn't know it was somehow supposed to be connected to the Alien movies, you might not even see the connection. I understand we won't be seeing THE alien(no facehuggers, chestbursters, etc.) from the quadrology and this will be very much a stand alone movie. The trailer mentions it's from the director of Blade Runner and Gladiator, but no mention of Alien, so I reckon that they don't want to market it as a prequel. Which is clever, considering it apparently is not a prequel in the traditional sense.

I remember seeing an interview with Ridley Scott last year and he said we wouldnt see the xenomorph in this film, but I think this is more about the Space Jockey and where he came from (and more importantly who he is).

So it's nothing to do with Prometheus stealing fire from the gods, then?

No, but the name has significance if the rumours of the story Ive read are true.

So it's nothing to do with Prometheus stealing fire from the gods, then?

I did some Wiki reading to learn more about Prometheus. Part of his legend is the unleashing of Pandora on humankind. So maybe that's the connection?

All the evils in the world are the fault of a woman! (Maybe Pandora is Peter Kenyon's alter-ego?)

I had deliberately avoided mentioning the sexist part of the myth. In all tellings of it, the woman brings bad luck. :smile:

On a tangent here; there was a famous mythologist named Joseph Campbell who said that female gods had an equal seat at the table until it became inconvenient for the mortal male hierarchy, at which point they began to be written out of mythologies. He mentioned that the Old Testament was particularly ruthless about it. One wonders how things would be different if women were more widely acknowledged by the world's dominant faiths? We might have a different view on how we treat our planet, for example.