Is a Champions League spot now out of reach?

WeeFranco

Another disappointing result. Spurs stalling, but not falling. Arsenal clambering to safety. And all the while we are still unable to capitalise on any opportunities to move up the table. If we really are going to miss out on that C/L spot for next year what are the consequences?

• The next manager. A bit of a poisoned chalice these days anyway - this reputation and the lack of C/L football cripples our bargaining power. At least previous candidates were guaranteed a C/L spot and a huge payoff when things went sour. Now they'll have to settle for the Europa league.
  • Reduced expectations. Will C/L qualification alone now be the target required for a season to be considered a success? Is actually winning the P/L again reduced to a pipe dream?
  • Stars leave. At least it will make it easier for the new manager to clear out the old guard - they won't need asking.
  • Roman loses interest. If C/L success really is Roman's motivation, could he be tempted to sell up and move on?

What are your thoughts?

Edited by WeeFranco

My thoughts in response:

It's hard to know what Roman's thinking. But if you judge a man by his actions, he's clearly very involved (too involved?) in the club. So it's hard to say he's losing interest.

I doubt CL qualy alone would ever be the measure of a good season while Abramovich is paying for things.

As far as attracting top players and managerial prospects, we come back to Roman's bank account. Chelsea will pay high wages for as long as FFP permits, and will therefore continue to attract interest from the best, both players and managers. They know the owner is ambitious wants to win things. (The need for a larger stadium is obvious, though.)

Edited by wxwax

How many people do we blame.Abramovich ? The manager ? Its the players n players only...Proof in the pudding is in our league games versus erm the game against napoli...The players psyched emselves up ..Went out and did the job...COZ THEY WANTED IT ENOUGH..In answer to the question, yes we still are able to get 4th place but while we are still in the E C we wont..The players do not have the ability to concentrate and give the effort needed to attain 4th place...(or win the fa cup)

Don't think we will get in the top 4 now. Needed to win on saturday which hopefully would of given us momentum going into the end of the season.

However I don't think it will be the worst thing to happen to the club, I think if we do make 4th it will once again paper over some cracks to do with the squad.

However, its important that the re-build of the squad is done properly, not like Liverpool.

If we don't get CL for next season, we will have to pick ourselves up and do what Spuds have done this season!

Lets remember we don't have a divine right to play in the CL, 13 years ago we were over the moon to have1 season in the competition, lets remember where we came from!

If we don't get CL for next season, we will have to pick ourselves up and do what Spuds have done this season!

Lets remember we don't have a divine right to play in the CL, 13 years ago we were over the moon to have1 season in the competition, lets remember where we came from!

Yeah...also remember what it took to get there...and remember how close we've come to winning it...

I still fancy Spurs to fal apart, personally. But with only 9 games left I'm starting to sweat on it.

We've been to the wire before - last time it was Gronkjaer. This time I bet it's Kalou.

Keep your money in your pocket mate.

Its gonna be close, but they have been falling apart and we have been coming together.

Nine games isnt much I know, but I still fancy us. Everyone said we were out of Europe after the result in Napoli and look what happened there. Keep the faith!

I admire your optimism TWW, but it's not just Spurs we're competing with, Newcastle are in decent form too. Of course we have them at home which could be a factor, though judging by our performance on Saturday this might not count for much...I hope your optimism is proven right anyway!

Ofcourse there is a big psychological gap between a PL game and a CL game for (some) of the players.Some of them are 90% sure these are their last games for Chelsea and think only for the short term - winning the CL.Does Drogba care if we are to finish 4h or not ?I very much doubt it.He knows he wont be around this time next year so i wouldnt blame him to be honest.I really dont blame him, yes they are professionals should play their 100% every game, bla ,bla but they are humans after all (motivation is key).I blame our politics relying on a 34 yrs old striker to save our season ?Knowing he is going to leave in the summer, this is soo wrong, complete mess.

Edited by Rami

Would getting into the CL semis (and giving a hard time to Barca) and getting 5th in the PL still make this a disastrous season (considering the squad) in your eyes folks?

Edit: Add FA semis (atleast) to that.

Edited by Damnation

Would getting into the CL semis (and giving a hard time to Barca) and getting 5th in the PL still make this a disastrous season (considering the squad) in your eyes folks?

Edit: Add FA semis (atleast) to that.

yes, far better scenario would be we finish fifth, win the Champions League and have Redknapp in the studio as a pundit for tv as we take Spurs place... with Lamps getting the winner. I can dream :wink:

Edited by charierre

Of course, the flipside is that non-qualification would really reduce the pressure of expectation on the new manager coming in for next season. Realistically, he would only be expected to guarantee a top four finish and a few decent runs in the domestic cups to be considered a success.

By then, a few of the big name players will have moved on and the ones left would have less to shout about. This should give the new man an easier introduction and a chance to put his stamp on the team. Maybe it's just what we need?

yes, far better scenario would be we finish fifth, win the Champions League and have Redknapp in the studio as a pundit for tv as we take Spurs place... with Lamps getting the winner. I can dream :wink:

I will add to that. We win it by beating Real Madrid in the final :). I realise the scenario requires a few outstanding performances from our team aligned with some serious luck. But if that did happen I wonder how many would still want Jose back?

First we still have to finish off Benfica and get past Barca or Milan in the Semis though. One step at a time.