Ditch the barca copycat. we are chelsea

1dimatteo

4-5-1 really dosnt suit us, i know our creative midfheld are a joy to watch but the striking cant be relied upon the one man up front.

I remember and miss when we has 3 forwards in drogba anelka n malouda, we were such a threat and demolished teams (scored 103 goals that season too) double winning season.

Everyone put their shift in to defend as well so we worked as a unit. So stupid of Rom to sack Carlo

4-5-1 really dosnt suit us, i know our creative midfheld are a joy to watch but the striking cant be relied upon the one man up front.

I remember and miss when we has 3 forwards in drogba anelka n malouda, we were such a threat and demolished teams (scored 103 goals that season too) double winning season.

Everyone put their shift in to defend as well so we worked as a unit. So stupid of Rom to sack Carlo

How is it a Barca copycat?

We play nothing like Barcelona and never have. 

They realised they had some of the best attacking players in the world and developed a structure and a system to get them as much time on the ball in attacking areas as possible. Our manager has us pass the ball around the back then punt it forward and attempts to cross his fat fingers and toes that one of the forwards will do something, anything with it.

They have a team where everyone knows their role in defense. The forwards and the midfield move like a hive of wasps when they lose the ball, instantly pressing and forcing the opposition to rashly give the ball back. In contrast, some of our players run around like headless chooks after the ball, some of our players can't be bothered to move out of the attacking third , and the remainder sit deep and wait for the opposition to make a move instead of being proactive.

Also, they win games. We don't.

Wish we were a bit more like BARCA.......We have some very skilled players (on their day)...Problem we have is we play the ball around too much and do not have players similar to , lets say ROONEY or VAN PERSIE that are really tough n strong to attack physically n mentally unafraid of whos standing in front of them....Skilled but weak

Nail on the head! 100% agree.

We are playing tight 2 yard balls trying to play that killer pass through the eye of a needle a la Xavi and Iniesta.

We are a poor mans Barca. We have expansive dangerous players yet we seem intent on playing slow tight passes waiting for players to commit to make the space for that 'Hollywood' through ball.

That is the problem we have. Roman is so obsessed with being like Barca yet even Guardiola questioned his teams style whenever they played against us. The mighty Barca wanted to play like Chelsea at one point but stuck to their ways.

If we are going to copycat a style it should be like Utd, Shakhtar, Dortmund etc.. Fast counter attacking play utilising the players we have. We need more width like we had in the Duff and Robben days.

The problem for the last few seasons is that the ball spends more time being played at a sedate pace between Cech and whatever center-half pairing we have out. Then one of them decides to punt it forward to one of our 5 foot 5 creative players to win a header against someone like Shawcross and it comes straight back at us. It was a lot better watching the counter attacking football that Jose played rather than playing keepball for the entire game and ultimately coming away empty handed.

We are Chelsea, we didn't give a f**k how we played in the Champions League the fact is that we won it and it made it all the more sweeter beating the mighty EUFAlona with Bosingwa playing center back. 

Whatever happened to a good old 1-0 win, eh?

Blame Roman and NOBODY else. He has craved Barcelona type football for years with no regard to positive results gained against them with our style and technique to grind out a victory.

Robbie masterminded a victory over two legs against them and still Roman craved Guardiola.

Jose was victorious in that magical night when JT headed us through at the Bridge, when we even had an atmosphere there !

Gus ( His favourite boss ) parked the bus in the Nou Camp and was desperately unlucky not to complete the job at home.

Winning football is gained by defending and attacking in the right manner, the best teams grind out 1-0 victories when performances are not the best.

Roman should get FIFA 2013 take control of the Chelsea team and fantasise and live the dream and keep well way from the REAL Chelsea Football Club.

No you are right however we are still playing like Barca and not winning and we are hitting the EXACT problems Barca encounter when up against organised and solid teams.... Find it hard.

With Barca they will draw or find that winner... We don't we lose!

I don't see the similarities between us and Barca. They have one holding midfielder we have none. They have more of a 3 man midfield whereas we have a 2 man midfield. Their full backs overlap the forwards the create some width. They work as a team to put pressure on opponents and quickly win the ball back.

I don't see the similarities between us and Barca. They have one holding midfielder we have none. They have more of a 3 man midfield whereas we have a 2 man midfield. Their full backs overlap the forwards the create some width. They work as a team to put pressure on opponents and quickly win the ball back.

I'd love to play like Barca, but we've never been like them, not in the way the club is run nor in the way we play.

If we were, how come every time we play them, we never try to play the same way they do? Think about all the games we've played at the Nou Camp, have we ever had over 35% possesion? No, because that's not how we play. Have we ever lost to Barca with 11 men on the field? Not since the year 2000. We have, and never will, be like Barca, and if Roman cannot accept, time for him to walk

Few of you seem to think i am saying we play like barca?

What i am saying is our attempt to play like barca is not successful and not like chelsea. We were unstoppable dominant and a real threat when we had powerhouse players on the pitch. We nearly always got a goal with every free kick and corner too.

Unless all midfielders are amazing finishers or have a lionel messi in the team to score 60 goals, we cannot rely on one forward. Like i said when we had drogba anelka and malouda we demolished teams breaking the 100 goal record.

And of course every fan enjoyed it at the beginning of the season because we didn't face anyone from the top 9 then lost to man utd. We havnt been strong since. It isn't chelsea.

We played a 4-3-3 for the first 20 minutes against Everton and even by the FSW's incredibly low standards, it was a shambles of a 20 minutes and we were lucky to not be 3-0 down (were only 1-0 down).

Mata is wasted out on the wing, a 4-2-3-1 is the right formation for us offensively, we just need a proper defensive midfielder.

edit: As Adam said above, at the start of the season with a good manager and the fans behind the team and confidence at its peak, we were ripping through everyone including United, Arsenal and Spurs.

No your wrong. Torres was lone striker against everton. And we wernt ripping them teams to shreds. We lost to man utd letting in 3 goals, let in 2 against spurs in a very open game where play didn't reflect result and even f***in gervhino scored against us when we played arsenal. If it wernt for konsielny making 2 big mistakes we struggled to capitalise the gooners.

Are you even a chelsea fan by the way?

Everyone knows how to neutralize the chelsea threat now. Get tight to torres, pressure our midfielders not giving them a second to think a pass. And mark CB's when Cech has the ball so we can't play from the back forcing him to kick it long to torres who's useless at holding the ball up and loses possession.

We also have no plan b, just passing through the middle.

Mata can play lampards old position in the old 4-3-3 popping in around the box and creating passes for the front 3, which helped us score 100+ goals in the league

We've never ever tried to play like Barca. If you think short passing is playing 'Barca football' that's nonsense. The Short passing philosophy was being used waaay before Barca even thought about it. I think the only time we've ever tried to similarly match their system was when we were 6-0 up against Wolves and Di Matteo brang on Hazard in the place of Torres to play the 'False 9' role.

Actually I don't think Mata would work in 'Lampard's old position' in the 4-3-3. Lampard is far more direct than Mata and much better defensively. He also has that timing for the late runs into the box which no one else has ever had. We don't have another Lampard and we Frankly (wahey!) never will. Mata has his own strengths and the 4-2-3-1 plays to them.

Basically the 4-3-3 would get the most out of Ramires and the 4-2-3-1 gets the most out of Mata and Hazard. The problem right now with playing the 4-3-3 is that we don't have a defensive midfielder to sit... so we'd have to play Ramires out of position and all of a sudden the strength we gain from it is negated. So no, 4-3-3 isn't the way to go right now.

Our problem isn't really in terms of formation, it's a problem in a lack of motivation, good subs and a defensive midfielder would do the world of good in terms of balancing our midfield.

No your wrong. Torres was lone striker against everton. And we wernt ripping them teams to shreds. We lost to man utd letting in 3 goals, let in 2 against spurs in a very open game where play didn't reflect result and even f***in gervhino scored against us when we played arsenal. If it wernt for konsielny making 2 big mistakes we struggled to capitalise the gooners.

Everyone knows how to neutralize the chelsea threat now. Get tight to torres, pressure our midfielders not giving them a second to think a pass. And mark CB's when Cech has the ball so we can't play from the back forcing him to kick it long to torres who's useless at holding the ball up and loses possession.

Mata can play lampards old position in the old 4-3-3 popping in around the box and creating passes for the front 3, which helped us score 100+ goals in the league

What a load of bollocks. I don't even know where to start.

We weren't ripping teams to shreds? Did we not dominate Man U with 11 men? Even after losing Ivanovic, were we not still dominating? It was only after we went down to 9 men that they were able to get back in the match and even then, despite their 2 man advantage, they couldn't beat us without the aid of a blatantly offside goal. How many teams could play Man U to a draw whilst down to 9 men for a significant chunk of the match?

The Spurs result didn't reflect the play? What? I recall a few lapses on defense, but Spurs are a very dangerous attacking side. What I recall even more clearly than that, though, was us going into their house and putting 4 on them. I remember Mata abusing Kyle Walker in such a public and ostentatious manner that I'm surprised nobody contacted the LSCB in North London. 3 points on the road against one of the better teams in England whose manager desperately wants to prove that we were wrong to fire him is a great result, even if we hadn't hung 4 on them.

Gervinho scored against us when we played Arsenal? So what? He actually had 5 goals in his first 7 matches, so clearly he had a decent run of form. Even so, why does the identity of their goal scorer matter? We beat them. Mata was brilliant, Hazard was dribbling them to death, even Torres had a very good match. How can you possibly spin that as a negative just because Gervinho scored? You shouldn't reach so strenuously, you might throw out your back.

Questioning whether or not someone's a Chelsea fan when you've been here for one day? Uh huh, that one speaks for itself.

Everyone might know how to neutralize Chelsea now, but they certainly didn't under Robbie. Think that might have something to do with having an incompetent manager who the players clearly don't believe in? It's not as simple as playing tight to Torres, either. Arsenal tried that and he responded by scoring what I'd consider to be his second most impressive goal in a Chelsea uniform, the one where he wrapped himself around Koscielny and scored. Nowadays, marking him that tightly could be a blessing as he's been reduced to little more than a decoy. There was a match recently where Torres attempted to draw a defender out wide with him. Nobody followed. Clearly he wasn't being marked that tightly.

We might have no plan B now, but again, look to the interim. You seem to be conflating criticisms of us that are legitimate now with criticisms that certainly weren't valid whilst Robbie was in charge. Oh, and no, Mata couldn't play Lampard's position. For all the sh*t you've chatted about tactics, that might be the most most off-base statement of them all.

Mata is a utility midfielder gifted all over the park and could and will play lampards position.

It is widely known that abramovich as invested in and ordered those involved to have us play like barca. That is why he wants pep so badly haha god some of you are daft.

We are now a misfit team with players originally selected by different managers that cannot play together in the formation that we are doing now. 4-2-3-1 is not the one.

Ideally we need Jose back to bring the identity of the club back (after greats like wilkins, Clarke and RDM are shown the door) and also stability. 3 years with a manager so it comes to a point where majority of squad are the choice of the manager.

My support for the club cannot be questioned because of how long lives been signed up to a web forum @brandinho (sure you had a first day know here once.

Your support was questioned because of how blind you are or your inability to see through the rose tinted glasses.

Last and only thing imagine going to say for you...Fernando Torres is no good as a £50MILLION DECOY!!! Jeez

Your support was questioned because of how blind you are or your inability to see through the rose tinted glasses.

You questioned my support for the club because you disagreed with me on what formation we started with against Everton? Right-o.

I don't really enjoy insulting anyone's intelligence on here because we're all on the same team, but being so offensive to people on your first day while being so blatantly wrong and being disagreed with by the majority of the posters here, did you ever think hey maybe you don't know as much about this subject as you think you do?

1) A 4-3-3 generally has a lone striker, with two wingers playing high up the field. I wouldn't say that Robben or Duff or J.Cole or Malouda or Kalou played as strikers in our 4-3-3, in the same way that Mata wasn't playing as a striker last season.

2) We were ripping teams to shreds, until that United game we'd won every game bar the draw at QPR and scored a lot of goals against some pretty big teams. If you think we deserved to lose that game to United then it's your support for the club and eyesight that should be questioned, even my United supporting friends were disgusted with what we saw that night and didn't even gloat or say a word about it on the drive home from the bar. We let in 2 goals against Spurs but so what? I'll take 4-2's over 2-0's any day, and i'll take either over the sh*te results we're getting right now. Say what you want about the Arsenal game but we controlled that game and took our foot off the gas when we got the lead, if we had needed to i'm sure we could have chased it and gotten more.

3) No-one has to neutralize the threat posed by Torres because he doesn't pose one. We scored 4 goals in our last 2 games so we're hardly finding it difficult to score, even with Torres on the field for the majority of those games, and Hazard and Moses both out. You can't blame the ineffectiveness of our Torres-headed attack on the formation or even the manager, because he's played under 4 different managers in 4 different systems and hasn't succeeded under any.

4) I'm assuming you never actually watched us play under Carlo when we scored all those goals, because Mata is nothing at all like Frank Lampard, the extent of their similarities is that they are both good at passing and both good at shooting from the edge of the area, after that Mata is a player you want as close to the striker and the center of the action as possible, and Frank is a player who comes up from deep. If you have Mata starting from that deep by the time he gets high up the field enough to influence things, the entire defence will be set, not to mention that Mata's defending (which is a big part of a midfielders job, especially in a 4-3-3), isn't anything to brag about.

I'm gathering you assume if we go back to the same tactics of the 2010 season, despite having a completely different squad, that we will instantly get the same results.

Alright, you'd be better off giving your advice to the FSW because he'd be the only one so daft as to take it on board.

Archived