Valid excuses for apparent Professionals.

i-like-to-munich

Is asking professional athletes to play 60+ games a season really that much of an ask?

I read people making excuses for some of our players like " but he has had to play 3 games in a week " or " hes being rested for saturdays game against whoever *

Correct me if im wrong but even at 3 games a week with a semi strong squad of 24 i dont see that many games as a major issue.

They definitely are not getting up at 6am to dig holes for 8 hours a day, or doing some other type of long hour low pay job.

Or the other thing is *Whoever* needs to work on this or that part of his game, surely if we sign a player to play in a position and hes meant to be established in said position come match day there shouldnt be pre made excuses in case he has an offday.

I really think the word Professional needs to be taken as literal and thats why i think im correct in saying that any one of us in this forum who is considered Professional in whatever trade they do wouldnt get away with screwing up X amount of times in a 8 month period.

I dont care if i get shot down for asking this i am just really interested in other forum members opinions.

Thank you, have a good week and incase the FSW is reading try 442 for the rest of the season.

Is asking professional athletes to play 60+ games a season really that much of an ask?

I read people making excuses for some of our players like " but he has had to play 3 games in a week " or " hes being rested for saturdays game against whoever *

Correct me if im wrong but even at 3 games a week with a semi strong squad of 24 i dont see that many games as a major issue.

they are competing against players who have to play a third of that.

and when you consider a lot of our players are below par, 24 is not that big of a squad

If you are asking whether being physically able to play 60+ games a season is possible then without doubt yes. Professional footballers train everday pretty much, and so without injury they should be able to play 3/4 games a week.

However, if your asking whether or not these players could play 60+ games at maximum performance? Certainly not.

In order to perform at it's best the body needs time to recover.

I don't know the specifics but I have read comments from a few managers before who have said that Sport Science shows that a players body is unable to fully recover in 2 days (or something like that).

When you consider we have been playing 2 or more games a week for nearly the entire season it is very difficult to implement the required rest period for our players.

If players are unable to properly rest/recover then it will affect their performances. 

We may have a squad of 25 people but only 15 tops are regularly starting games.

Either way, it's hard to tell how much impact fatigue is having on our performances, i'll be interested to hear what the players have to say once the season is done as to how much it impacted on them, and next season with a slightly less hectic fixture list and hopefully a bigger squad, we can see whether the likes of Oscar and Hazard can improve.

and when you consider a lot of our players are below par, 24 is not that big of a squad

This is the key issue, City had a near full week to rest and prepare compared to us coming back from Russia Thursday night and they came out all guns blazing first 30mins.

I agree players using 'to many games' as an excuse makes them sound like idiots to blokes knocking there nuts out 12hrs a day 6 days a week but it doesn't always make a level playing field in some competitions. Its the trappings of success i suppose. As CFC fans we are a little spoiled in terms of this was our 18th semi since RA came to the club we are in our 7th Euro semi in 10 years which is much better than having nothing to play for come February. 

They definitely are not getting up at 6am to dig holes for 8 hours a day, or doing some other type of long hour low pay job.

Oh yes, the old favourite: "they get paid so much to do something they like, so they have no right to complain".

The real pros were the likes of the late 60s to mid 70s players that played in mires of mud at times...Got kicked to peices and made sure they had a quick painkilling jab so they could be in the next playing team....I include most players of most teams of that era not just ours.....REAL MEN

The real pros were the likes of the late 60s to mid 70s players that played in mires of mud at times...Got kicked to peices and made sure they had a quick painkilling jab so they could be in the next playing team....I include most players of most teams of that era not just ours.....REAL MEN

Exactly, our game has become so soft, full of wimps and con men. Back then it would be embarrassing so let everyone know someone hurt you in a tackle, you just got up and got on with it, and made sure you gave the person who wronged you a good crunching tackle back. Modern football is pathetic at times.

Did you hear the garbage coming out of Adrian Chiles yesterday at half time? The prick said our game against City resembled Chelsea Vs Leeds FA Cup final from the 70s, probably because there was a few slide tackles. If he knew anything about football he would know it looked NOTHING like those games.

Cant stand ITV or Chiles.

Got kicked to peices and made sure they had a quick painkilling jab so they could be in the next playing team....I include most players of most teams of that era not just ours.....REAL MEN

You mean like Cech who takes pain killers in order to play with a broken finger and Terry who plays with broken ribs?

You mean like Cech who takes pain killers in order to play with a broken finger and Terry who plays with broken ribs?

Of course there are exceptions, Mike is probably talking about people like Theo Walcott, who looks like he'd be a better fit on the Xfactor rather than playing a mans game, being all wrapped in cotton wool. There are far too many softies in the game now. Should be called wimpball

Exactly, our game has become so soft, full of wimps and con men. Back then it would be embarrassing so let everyone know someone hurt you in a tackle, you just got up and got on with it, and made sure you gave the person who wronged you a good crunching tackle back. Modern football is pathetic at times.

Did you hear the garbage coming out of Adrian Chiles yesterday at half time? The prick said our game against City resembled Chelsea Vs Leeds FA Cup final from the 70s, probably because there was a few slide tackles. If he knew anything about football he would know it looked NOTHING like those games.

Cant stand ITV or Chiles.

There's a flip side to all this as well. I distinctly remember the 1966 World Cup game between Brazil and Portugal, where the Portuguese players resorted to kicking and hacking Pele as much as possible, to a point where he was so badly injured due to barbaric fouling that he could barely jog about anymore (he still delivered a magnificent performance, of course), and he almost exclusively had to use his left foot. The crowd applauded him as he left the pitch. To this day it's regarded as one of the most brutal matches of the century.

Now don't get me wrong, I hate diving as much as the next person and would personally like to see a bigger punishment for it in the future, but I struggle to see football back then being all that when great players like Pele often had to come limping off pitches with broken bones and such.

Nobody wants to see people being crippled or seriously injured.<br /><br />Everyone wants to see an honest game full of blood and guts effort with no softy players making a mockery of the game.

i bet a fair few players today would gladly retaliate after a harsh tackle, but seeing as youll get a red for a mere shove to the floor, they choose to keep their cool. and frankly, i applaud them for that

Nobody wants to see people being crippled or seriously injured.<br /><br />Everyone wants to see an honest game full of blood and guts effort with no softy players making a mockery of the game.

No, but that's what inevitably happens when tackles like the ones in 1966 come flying in left, right and centre. The modern game is far from perfect but the older one's not quite up there either (this all coming from someone who tends to appreciate older players a whole lot more).

Not trying to be a smartarse because I'm not that smart . .....so I guess that just leave's an arse :rolleyes: .

But hasn't Chelsea Legend & all round top bloke Pat Nevin had to have both hips replaced already due to his football career?.

I don't think players can always be judged this way to be honest with you.

Oh yes, the old favourite: "they get paid so much to do something they like, so they have no right to complain".

Yes thats exactly what i meant, apart from if you asked any professional they will state that the LOVE rather than Like the game they get paid to play.

Im glad that you understood me though i hate it when i get misunderstood.  ::clap2::

Following on from the debate in the Mikel thread (let's not bring that here, please), it's nice to be able to agree with you.

We've played far more games than any other team, Looking just at yesterday's game, the players had only arrived back from Moscow a couple of days earlier. City had had, what a five day break? So not only playing in Moscow but travelling time, there and back, which does have an effect.

And no matter how highly paid, highly tuned, and well trained, no matter how fit they are, players are human. And as such they're going to need time to recover in order to perform at their peak.

Why doesn't Roger Federer play in a tournament every week or Mo Farah run a marathon a week? Just because footballers are highly paid it doesn't make them superhuman. They still get tired and need a break from time to time in order to peform at their peak. And when, like us, you have a smaller squad and a bigger schedule than everyone else, it's going to affect our players disproportionately. Yesterday was Azpi's 6th full match in the past 14 days, and it showed.

First Post :)

In 2008 Rangers played 68 competitive games, coming towards the end of the season we had so many games within days of each other, and every game was very important ( Scottish Cup Semis/ Final- Uefa Cup Semis/Final - Old firm title deciders ). We ended up only winning the League Cup And Scottish Cup that season, and I blame the fact of how many games we had to play in such a short space of time being the main reason and not the fact we were not good enough. I dont think players can be expected to play so many important games in such a short period of time , but I guess its one of they things in which it only happens if your team is successful. It might not even be so much a fitness aspect as I know as a fan it was mentally draining! Still a fantastic season though. 

If your winning then sometimes games cant come quick enough, however as soon as you start to lose something as we did the Uefa Cup Final its easy for the team to hit a brick wall in terms of performances when games are so close together. Some players run upto 10km in a match, Could Mo farah do that every few days ? I doubt it.

Archived