pompey ratings

The Brit

Cech 9 mom this guy is top class and his 3 month absence is one of the reasons we're not top of the table now

Diarra 7 another good showing at right back...where's his long-term contract?

Carvalho 7 usual performance from him...at times great, at times nowhere to be seen!

Essien 7 couldn't cope with pompey's long ball tactics, but great strength on the floor

Cole 7 defensively still a bit hesitant for me, but did set up both goals.

Maka 6 still worried about his form, just not maka like at the mo

Lamps 6 pretty average showing

Ballack 7 yes, I have rated ballack higher than the other two, headline news...but I thought his passing was good and he didn't disappear like he normally does

Robben 7 posed a great attacking threat although didn't always make the most of it

Sheva 6 actually worked pretty hard for the team, but never looked like scoring

Drogba 7 just for the quality of his finish and some of his defending...but it wasn't one of his best games

Subs

Kalou 7 real livewire and nice finish

SWP 6.5 great pace and looked dangerous, just lacked final ball

Bridge 7 looked good with every touch and seemed to enjoy taking on pompey fans

Very generous to the midfielders I think Brit.

7 out of 10 is for me mark for player who played well but didn't excel.

Lamps was no more than 4 today, Maka maybe 5 and Ballack 6.

Just got back from Pompey. Love it down there, great atmos! 259.gif

Ratings...

Cech 9 - He is back to his incedible best! Awesome!

Diarra 8 - has suddenly become our best RB. By a distance...Geremi is offski this summer I think.

Carvalho 7 - Very composed, but a few lunges as per usual... 259.gif

Essien 7 - Did just fine. No complaints.

Cole 6 - had a pretty poor game although did some good things near the end. I remian unconvinced.

Maka 6 - In a decline? Why did we not sign Macherano?

Lamps 6 - Much of the game passed him by. We just seem to lack any pace in the middle.

Ballack 7 - A bit better than usual although he had to get his pointless booking didn't he!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Robben 8 - A real threat although was too greedy much of the time.

Sheva 7 - Looked sharp and chased Pompey's boys down well. Still needs the proper service though!

Drogba 7 - Picked up a few knocks and started to whine...so came off. Good goal but seemed to be 'in a funny mood'! 169.gif

Subs

Kalou 7 - Came on a did what Carlton Cole used to do a few years back...just run after everything and keep going until the final whistle.

SWP 7 - Looks more and more like the black Gronkjaer. pacey, great dribble then a wayward ball! Look before you pass Sweepy 128.gif

Bridge 7 - Really looked up for a game against Southampton's big rivals. icon_twisted.gif

I think you're being too harsh...the guys were average hence a 6, but they weren't poor...they did have enough moments to help get the win and Ballack's passing was good enough to get a 7 today

cech 8, motm

cash 6

diarra 6

carvalho 6

essien 6

maka 6

lampard 5

ballack 6

robben 6

drogba 6, lovely goal

sheva 5

but, the team basically should be judged as a collective- as they were poor as a group, not one or 2 individuals. 4.

kalou 7

swp 6.

jose, 6.

portsmouth 8.

LOL, another weak, uninspiring performance from Mourinho's charges. How long before we realise this is the norm rather than the exception?

It's no wonder we are so far behind Manchester United. The same positive attitude they have has slowly been degraded in our team since it sparked in Jose's first season.

Meh, another three points anyway.

It's no wonder we are so far behind Manchester United. The same positive attitude they have has slowly been degraded in our team since it sparked in Jose's first season.

Meh, another three points anyway.

Matey icon_rolleyes.gif

Is that the same positive attitude we saw at Fanfield today ? And 2nd half at the Theatre of Muppets against us. And Arse. And at Fulham. And.......

They are no more attacking than any other team, unless circumstances dictate.

G4 had it right all along. You do talk some bollocks.

Do you really think Manchester United are less attacking than Chelsea? Manchester United kept attacking right until the final whistle. That's why they scored.

Do you think it was a fluke we equalised against Barcelona at the Nou Camp? No, it's because Essien had the belief to drive forward and attack. He could've hoofed the ball into Drogba from defense. He could've taken a dive for the free-kick after a clumsy challenge from Deco. Instead he had the attitude to make the most of the opportunity rather than hood and hope.

Sadly this attitude is not present in the team, of late, and neither is it consistently evident when it is.

You're pointing to one-off incidents where United lost their attitude. Unfortunately all we can look to is one-off incidents where Chelsea actually have a positive attitude, because there are far more times where it hasn't been present. Do you ever wonder why the majority of our wins are scrappy and "professional"? Do you ever wonder why we rarely seem to dominate teams the way we did in our first season under Jose?

We do get our game up, for the big ones. The game against Tottenham, for example, where after Makelele's goal they barely got a sniff. The second-half at Old Trafford. The Barcelona game at the Bridge. When we are in that mood we are almost untouchable. The question is, why isn't a similar level of play maintained in every game?

It was an unispiring performance, but not surprising. The league is over this season, Portsmouth played badly, there are two big cup performances required shortly.

The team is not clicking up front. Drogba is scoring goals but Sheva is being let down a bit by the quality of service. Robben is too selfish.

Its true about the lack of pace through the centre of midfield but ManU doesn't have that either.

At the end of the day 3 away points and Porto's next up.

Do you really think Manchester United are less attacking than Chelsea? Manchester United kept attacking right until the final whistle. That's why they scored.

Do you think it was a fluke we equalised against Barcelona at the Nou Camp? No, it's because Essien had the belief to drive forward and attack. He could've hoofed the ball into Drogba from defense. He could've taken a dive for the free-kick after a clumsy challenge from Deco. Instead he had the attitude to make the most of the opportunity rather than hood and hope.

Sadly this attitude is not present in the team, of late, and neither is it consistently evident when it is.

You're pointing to one-off incidents where United lost their attitude. Unfortunately all we can look to is one-off incidents where Chelsea actually have a positive attitude, because there are far more times where it hasn't been present. Do you ever wonder why the majority of our wins are scrappy and "professional"? Do you ever wonder why we rarely seem to dominate teams the way we did in our first season under Jose?

We do get our game up, for the big ones. The game against Tottenham, for example, where after Makelele's goal they barely got a sniff. The second-half at Old Trafford. The Barcelona game at the Bridge. When we are in that mood we are almost untouchable. The question is, why isn't a similar level of play maintained in every game?

I apologise for the end of my previous response Syd. It was uncalled for.

But this United "always attack" and go for broke myth really is a media invention. The may posess players with plenty of attacking flair, but they do not always play that way. And Fergie doesn't always set the formation up to play that way either.

Your argument falls down as soon as you look at their attacking intent 2nd half against us. They went 1-0 up in the first 45, (quite rightly with the run of play at the time). But then, right from the start of the second half, got everyone behind the ball and shut up shop in the hope of hitting us on the counter. Hence, the second 45 was like the Alamo and totally handed the initiative to us. And, (and this is the really good bit), they were at home !!!!

Against Le Arse they started with a five man midfield with Rooney deployed..................... wide on the left !!!

Another point worth mentioning is that Scholes has had a good season, but throughout, he has normally held a deeper midfield position than at any time in his career.

We do get our game up, for the big ones. The game against Tottenham, for example, where after Makelele's goal they barely got a sniff.

Am I missing something here? Maka put us 1-0 up. Spurs went on to beat us 2-1.

To add to preiviosue comments, erm didnt we completely domminate for the first 5 months of last seaso as well, we pretty much had the league won by x-mass which is why we where able to be so shockingly inconsistent in the second half.

This season i put a large degree of things down to the fact that we have had a horrific amount of injurys to some of our most importnant players.

Its a myth that we have like for like that can just come of the bench and replace the likes of terry, chec, cole ect.

All in all i think where we are in all competitions this season is actually quite impressive

I`ve watched the match being little drunk, so does midfield was so bad? icon_lol.gif

And we were lacking possesion as usual, but I`m frustrated more with a teamplay of our strikers. We could score more in every match if they could find each other on a field with passes, instead of trying to score from zero angles and from 25-30 metres with a weaker foot. icon_sad.gif

I apologise for the end of my previous response Syd. It was uncalled for.

But this United "always attack" and go for broke myth really is a media invention. The may posess players with plenty of attacking flair, but they do not always play that way. And Fergie doesn't always set the formation up to play that way either.

Your argument falls down as soon as you look at their attacking intent 2nd half against us. They went 1-0 up in the first 45, (quite rightly with the run of play at the time). But then, right from the start of the second half, got everyone behind the ball and shut up shop in the hope of hitting us on the counter. Hence, the second 45 was like the Alamo and totally handed the initiative to us. And, (and this is the really good bit), they were at home !!!!

Against Le Arse they started with a five man midfield with Rooney deployed..................... wide on the left !!!

Another point worth mentioning is that Scholes has had a good season, but throughout, he has normally held a deeper midfield position than at any time in his career.

Just, I think we will have to agree to disagree, though I think you are right in saying Man U have been more pragmatic and cautious when they need to be and that is perhaps a reason why they have improved in consistency this season.

However I still think our attitude and belief is far more negative and weaker than it was in previous seasons. Perhaps it was a lack of hunger more than anything else. I think despite our talent on the park we don't dominate games as much as we should. Maybe, more than likely, our injury list and the rumours of off-field dramas have a part in this.

Nibs: After Makelele scored Tottenham's attacks were few and far between.

I don't think chelsea have played as badly (boring, negative) as a lot of people make out...yes we've had games where it's been more efficient than spectacular, but we had that in both championship seasons...we've also had some really exciting matches, arguably more than the last two with the disruptions to our defence taking away the predicatbility factor...there is no doubt that when we go for it we are really exciting to watch, although jose only does this when we are drawing or losing.

The same can be said of utd...they have had impressive games and they tend to put sides away more when they are on top than we do hence the better goal difference, but they have been average on a number of occasions too and have relied on individual flair to get the points.

I understand what people say about the diamond, mainly cos ballack has been in cruise control for much of the season...but we played the diamond in the nou camp which was one of our best performances of the season when we drew 2-2 and showed far better football than pool did in their victory.

Playing 4-4-2 may not appeal to all but it has played a major factor in Drogba's impressive scoring rate this season

When I talk about positive attitude in playing I don't necessarily mean good football. In fact with the diamond we have actually been playing some really nice passing moves in midfield.

My problem is that the team seems to lack the mentality to achieve this consistently. It seems that if there is an option to simply belt the ball forward, they will take it. It appears lazy more than anything else. For example, the first goal against Portsmouth was due to Drogba's form and skill rather than intent. I'm sure Cole intended for that ball to land in the centre of the box.

This also works defensively. I don't think we try to keep possession of the ball long enough to help us defensively, in fact at times we seem far too content to play on the counter-attack. It stops us from killing off games and puts far too much pressure on our defense. Realistically attack is the best form of defense. If the opponent doesn't have the ball, how can they attack?

As much as we've been unlucky, Utd have had the luck.

2 91st minute winner in 2 week2 - thats the 4 point swing we've been hoping for. Luck and luck!

Against Fulham they had a deflected shot find the net, we had a deflected clearance find our own net with the Essien own goal. Another 4 point swing. Luck, bad luck.

The gods of fate have not been kind to Chelsea this season, but I hear no fat lady singing, in fact, she's not even on the stage to clear her voice.

As much as we've been unlucky, Utd have had the luck.

2 91st minute winner in 2 week2 - thats the 4 point swing we've been hoping for. Luck and luck!

Against Fulham they had a deflected shot find the net, we had a deflected clearance find our own net with the Essien own goal. Another 4 point swing. Luck, bad luck.

The gods of fate have not been kind to Chelsea this season, but I hear no fat lady singing, in fact, she's not even on the stage to clear her voice.

BLUENUT I don't attribute things like this solely to just fortune. You need to create the opportunity for 'luck' to work for your or against you. I sure as hell don't think Drogba's equaliser against Barcelona was just luck.

Law of Averages states that the more you try for something, the more likely it is to succeed. In football, the more times you attack a goal the more likely you are to score one, yeah? At Fulham if we kept the ball and kept attacking we perhaps would've scored another a goal and killed the game off, more importantly we would've had the ball and Fulham can't do anything without the ball.

''more importantly we would've had the ball and Fulham can't do anything without the ball.''

We did have the ball, and managed to score a freakish own goal with it!!

Neither do I. But in one instance I'll just compare the games at Anfield.

Chelsea went there with a patched up back four on a hiding to nothing. We threw everything we had at them in the 2nd half and couldn't make the breakthrough. We had them rattled at the end of that match but couldn't score.

From what I saw at the weekend Utd went there and played for a draw with a fully strenght side. United also made 3 substitues during the game, all of which were defenders! There was nothing positive about this. They scored late and were lucky winners.

United have had a great season this year, their best for some time, but on games played we are only 6 points behind them, if we win v them then 3 points. United may have a superior goal difference and attacking flair but we are still within touching distance. The biggest difference is they will continue to attack when 3-0 up, where we tend to take our foot off the pedal.

There have been elements of luck for both side this year, we had serious, possibley LIFE threatening injuries to the worlds best keeper and his deputy in the same match, to our centre/half and captain. Hit and miss injuries to at centre back, Robben has been in and out and Cole hasn't kicked a ball.

Man Utd have had no such injury problems and have won their past 2 games by a 1 goal advantage in the 91st minute. Whatever 'pretty' attacking football they played, although non was evident at Anfield, they have still rode their luck.

With Scholes suspended, Laarson on his bike, Solskaer injured and possibly Rooney, hopefully we can capitalise on any slip-up. However, luckwise I think their names on it.

''more importantly we would've had the ball and Fulham can't do anything without the ball.''

We did have the ball, and managed to score a freakish own goal with it!!

Neither do I. But in one instance I'll just compare the games at Anfield.

Chelsea went there with a patched up back four on a hiding to nothing. We threw everything we had at them in the 2nd half and couldn't make the breakthrough. We had them rattled at the end of that match but couldn't score.

From what I saw at the weekend Utd went there and played for a draw with a fully strenght side. United also made 3 substitues during the game, all of which were defenders! There was nothing positive about this. They scored late and were lucky winners.

LOL, true. But as I said to Just...isolated incidents. And because United are now trying to be more pragmatic when it counts, they are more consistent.

Archived