Areas you see a lot of Chelsea fans

Soulboy

Where do most Chelsea fans come from? Since we've starting winning things you could say just about everywhere, but where would be the highest concentrations of CFC support in the old days and now? Areas I didn't think had many Chelsea but was to suprised to discover otherwise would include Kennington- Im talking in the 80s. Always assumed it would be mainly Millwall, and there were many Im sure, but also plenty of Chelsea. And on the other side of the water Pinner; lived there briefly in the mid 90s- geographically it should have been Arsenal all the way, but even though we were outnumbered there was substantial Chelsea support up there too. Bromleys another one, I reckon due to the fast train service to Victoria, then on to the Bridge, even though its by no means on our doorstep. Ps I can't fall back on my own old programmes to confirm this- they all met a grisly end in a damp garage- but pre Bates the old official supporters clubs were forever opening up branches in far flung parts of the country. Has anyone got a list showing exactly how many and where exactly they were?

Where do most Chelsea fans come from? Since we've starting winning things you could say just about everywhere, but where would be the highest concentrations of CFC support in the old days and now? Areas I didn't think had many Chelsea but was to suprised to discover otherwise would include Kennington- Im talking in the 80s. Always assumed it would be mainly Millwall, and there were many Im sure, but also plenty of Chelsea. And on the other side of the water Pinner; lived there briefly in the mid 90s- geographically it should have been Arsenal all the way, but even though we were outnumbered there was substantial Chelsea support up there too. Bromleys another one, I reckon due to the fast train service to Victoria, then on to the Bridge, even though its by no means on our doorstep. Ps I can't fall back on my own old programmes to confirm this- they all met a grisly end in a damp garage- but pre Bates the old official supporters clubs were forever opening up branches in far flung parts of the country. Has anyone got a list showing exactly how many and where exactly they were?

You can get information on that from the official website. Sorry I can't link it. My supporters club is going official for over 20 years.

Harrow was well represented but most of us have now moved away to the suburbs even further as our old town is now an absolute khazi.

from the early 70's you'd have seen both the Black bull and the Ifield full of harrow chels and they were ever present at any of the aforementioned high profile and well remembered games such as Bristol rovers,luton,cardiff,sheff wed,grimsby,sp*ds,that mental day at BHA etc.

the Friday night at maine rd seemed to include from our town everyone who'd ever been.

Saturday evenings at Baker st were always lively as there were a lot of Arse from nearby Kenton and Kingsbury and Sp*ds from Wealdstone all using the Met line to get home.  

long gone days much missed. 

I've worked all over London and the neighbouring counties. Outside of the obvious area's close to the ground I've always found that you get pockets of Chelsea spots but none of the other lots unless working by their grounds. Sunbury, Staines, Ashford, Feltham all big Chelsea. Harrow always had a good Chelsea following, a little further out High Wycombe and Reading was good for Chelsea. Down the other side again a bit obvious but Kingston, Croydon and Crawley were all staunch.

As I said earlier you always found groups of Chelsea in an area but not much of any other london side apart from Stanmore, Edgware, Burnt Oak who would ave had a good Spurs and Arsenal following

Don't know about now, but in the 70's there were loads of Chelsea from Kennington, the Elephant, Stockwell, and surrounding areas, plus the more obvious places like Battersea, Wandsworth, Fulham, Mitcham, Tooting & Clapham.

Slough and Reading were also Chelsea strongholds, Basingstoke was another. For some strange reason there were lots of Arsenal fans in Croydon and Bromley back then, no idea why.

Stayed with a mate (CFC) in Merton last time I was back in London.  All I saw was kids with Chelsea scarfs going to school or vans with Chelsea stickers. Not one other club was reresented.   

That would be the case now. I'm sure 15/20 years ago there'd have been a few more Wimbledon shirts knocking about and probably some Arsenal as well.

Places you wouldnt expect to find Chelsea fans were Kilburn and Hendon. Come from Hendon and in the 70s/80s we always brought loads to the Bridge. This is depsite the fact that in the rest of Barnet it was all Arsenal and Spurs. My secondary school was in between Hendon and Bunt Oak. All of Burnt Oak were Arsenal and they made up a large part of the Northbank in the 80s while Hendon were fairly well represented in the Shed. School was always interesting befpore the game :D.

I'm from Kilburn and growing up it was mainly Chelsea, Spurs and QPR. I meet blokes who i knew from the 70's and 80's who never supported a team then are always to a man Gooners now and swear blind they always where. But i can count on one hand the number of Arsenal i knew back then.

Here's a curious one- apparantly Gravesend is a West Ham stronghold even though its the wrong side of the Thames. Can only guess that a lot of East Londoners got transplanted there after slum clearance

I know it's all changed now because of the racial make up of the East London, but in previous decades Im told the inner East End was more Arsenal and Spurs than West Ham.

Jah Wobble was on the radio saying that growing up in Whitechapel Spurs had a big following- might be something to do with the Jewish thing but I thought they'd all migrated to North London by then. A lot of its to do with transport links. From Bethnal Green or Hackney it's a lot easier to get a bus to Arsenal or the rattler to the y*dhouse than traipse over to Upton Park.

By the way West Ham aren't strictly speaking in the East End, they're in East London. The East End is from Aldgate pump to the River Lea, the other side of the Lea ain't the East End. Just like we're in West London, not the West End.

Slum clearance has lead to west ham fans being scattered all over. I know that South Oxhey, near Watford, had a lot of West Ham fans despite being north west of London because of the east end slum clearance.

Another weird one, Epsom has the 2nd highest percentage of Fulham fans after Putney. After WW2, families in Fulham who had their homes destoryed during the Blitz were relocated in Epsom.

Question for bazablue, why did kilburn have a lot of Chelsea? Always knew a lot from that area who went games in the 80s. In Hendon we were Chels because the boys from Burnt Oak were part of the Northbank Highbury while gangs from Cricklewood used to go WHL and follow Spurs. We were separating ourselves from those lot.

A Spurs supporter told me that they have a big support in Richmond which surprised me, I'dhave thought it would have been nearly all Chelsea and a few Arsenal glory hunters from the 90's.

I went to school in Twickenham and drank regularly in Richmond and can honestly say I can't ever remember meeting a Spurs fan.  Of course that was in the dark ages and things may have changed now.  But I don't see why - it was always Chelsea and a few Liverpool glory hunters then so I can't see what's changed since then to make it big for Spurs fans now.

Slum clearance has lead to west ham fans being scattered all over. I know that South Oxhey, near Watford, had a lot of West Ham fans despite being north west of London because of the east end slum clearance.

Another weird one, Epsom has the 2nd highest percentage of Fulham fans after Putney. After WW2, families in Fulham who had their homes destoryed during the Blitz were relocated in Epsom.

Question for bazablue, why did kilburn have a lot of Chelsea? Always knew a lot from that area who went games in the 80s. In Hendon we were Chels because the boys from Burnt Oak were part of the Northbank Highbury while gangs from Cricklewood used to go WHL and follow Spurs. We were separating ourselves from those lot.

Well Kilburn Park to the Bridge is only 20 mins on the tube is one reason. A lot of Chelsea from the Edgware Road as well. I'm in my late 40's but the lads who are now in there early to late 50's were drawn to Chelsea from my way  because. We had a young and let's face it flash and exciting team who could also put the boot in. They were also approachable from what i've heard. And the terraces at Stamford Bridge were the first place where fashion and football met in the country not just London. (again only what i've been told).

Out of London, and Southend was mainly Chelsea & West Ham (only 40 mins on train) in the early 70's. Did'nt know any Arsenal fans and only a handful of Spurs ones, but in the last 20 years seen many blokes in town wearing their shirts.
Guess many Gooner families moved out of London & the suburbs from the 80's onwards.

Ive got Chelsea mates from East & North London, all been Chelsea since kids=when we were sh*t! lol

Some of our faces come from East London/South London/Kent to name a few.

Hardly any Chelsea in Kent that I know. Plenty of Arsenal, some Charlton, some Gillingham and the usual Man United that you get everywhere.

Hardly any Chelsea in Kent that I know. Plenty of Arsenal, some Charlton, some Gillingham and the usual Man United that you get everywhere.

Going back a long time now, but there were a few Chelsea from Ashford, move out from Bermondsey and the like, and I'm sure I remember a regular little mob coming up from Orpington. Margate was Chelsea's traditional Bank Holiday day out/weekend away.

And then of course there was Tunbridge Wells. And they all behaved themselves, according to the song they sung...

When I moved to Shropshire 24 years ago, you never saw a Chelsea shirt - I see quite a few now.  And I have to restrain myself from treating the wearers like long lost friends, or grinning and giving them a thumbs up!

It was pretty much the same in Milton Keynes when I moved here in 82, due to many of the council estates having been funded by the GLC to take in the North London overflow it was a cesspool of goons and their horrible neighbours. In fact by 84 I probably knew nearly every match going Chelsea supporter in the town. Things have changed a bit now though and ours is the shirt you'd be most likely to see around town. 

Nice to hear that Carshalton is still a true blue town being as it's my home town and all that.

Archived