Best football images

offside
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

9 hours ago, erskblue said:

David Hopkin 02.jpg

My old school team mate has just scored the winning goal at Wembley.

David Hopkins for Palace in the 1997 Play Offs.

We, as kids in Scotland, dreamed of playing and scoring the winning goal at Wembley.

David Hopkins went and did it !

Strange, I'd have thought you would have dreamed of playing and scoring the winner at Hamden Park!

6 hours ago, saintquin said:

Strange, I'd have thought you would have dreamed of playing and scoring the winner at Hamden Park!

No, the big match up here back then was England v Scotland at Wembley.

And probably the fact that there were so few Scotland victories there.

There was also the aura around Wembley and the fact it had held so many major games of international importance.

I do accept there weren't many more Scotland victories over England at Hampden !:biggrin:

On 08/06/2020 at 14:08, erskblue said:

Soccer - FIFA World Cup Spain 1982 - Group Six - Brazil v Scotland ...Soccer - FIFA World Cup Spain 1982 - Group Six - Brazil v Scotland ...Soccer - FIFA World Cup Spain 1982 - Group Six - Brazil v Scotland ...

Funny, the first World cup, I remember watching was in 1978, as a 9 year old and I remember cheering on Scotland (Archie Gemmils goal v Holland still one of my most memorable), 4 years later and 1982, now 13, The England/Scotland  rivalry had taken hold and I sh*t myself when David Nary opened the scoring against Brazil, I was transfixed and relief set in when Brazil turned it on afterwards. Now nearly 40 years later and my Scotland rivalry has died down and unless they are playing England would want them to do well, Germany and Argentina are my hated rivals for many obvious reasons. Maybe back in the 80's Scotland were more of a threat with some great players, now the difference between the sides are worlds apart.

18 hours ago, chi blue said:

Funny, the first World cup, I remember watching was in 1978, as a 9 year old and I remember cheering on Scotland (Archie Gemmils goal v Holland still one of my most memorable), 4 years later and 1982, now 13, The England/Scotland  rivalry had taken hold and I sh*t myself when David Nary opened the scoring against Brazil, I was transfixed and relief set in when Brazil turned it on afterwards. Now nearly 40 years later and my Scotland rivalry has died down and unless they are playing England would want them to do well, Germany and Argentina are my hated rivals for many obvious reasons. Maybe back in the 80's Scotland were more of a threat with some great players, now the difference between the sides are worlds apart.

Agreed.

There was a real rivalry between the two back then.

The World Cup Finals of 1982 was probably the last time Scotland could be even reasonably compared to England.

The Scotland's 'peak' was probably between 1973 - late 1977.

Mind you, a certain England 5-1 Scotland 'Wembley hammering' was right in the middle of that period !

Edited by erskblue

TICKET: England v Scotland (Home International @ Wembley) 1973 ...england v scotland 1973 ticket stub no 219 – Scottish Football ...

There's a great story I've heard numerous times that took place during this game.

The Scotland centre half Jim Holton tackled England's Alan Ball. Ball stayed tackled !

When he got eventually up. Ball shouted to Holton." You, you're nothing but a big, ugly, Scottish b##tard !"

Holton replied. " Aye and don't you ever forget it !":biggrin:

3 hours ago, Boyne said:

Scotland team that beat England 2-1 at Wembley in 1977.

Jordan and McQueen played in the famous win at Wembley in 1977

From right to left: Rioch, Rough, McGrain, McQueen, Dalglish, Jordan, Donnachie, Forsyth, Masson, Johnston and Hartford. A great team.

Alan Rough!, as a young English lad who played in goal, I had hours of fun watching Alan Rough make mistakes, now it is many years ago and I would of been between the ages of 8 and about 14 but was Alan Rough as sh*t as I remember him. I always thought George Wood was better.

14 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Alan Rough!, as a young English lad who played in goal, I had hours of fun watching Alan Rough make mistakes, now it is many years ago and I would of been between the ages of 8 and about 14 but was Alan Rough as sh*t as I remember him. I always thought George Wood was better.

Agree about George Wood. Some of Scotland's goalies in the seventies and eighties were a bit hit and miss. From the nineties onwards goalies improved with the likes of Goram, McGregor and Gordon.

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 19:36, Munkworth said:

It wouldn’t have been a match of any magnitude if it was being played there... :laugh2:

Hampden Park, Glasgow in the 1970s.In pictures: A return to the terraces - classic Scottish football ...

Yeah and this first picture proves it !:biggrin: 

This was actually a Scotland international match v Northern Ireland !

To be fair the game was live on tv !

Ad the weather was, as can be seen, typical for Glasgow ....

Edited by erskblue

Archie Macpherson: There was something toxic about our society ...It's like a scene from Apocalypse Now!' Archie Macpherson

May 1980 Scottish Cup Final. Police horses on the field,

The police restored order after a pitch invasion by both sets of supporters.

This fighting led to the banning of alcohol at Scottish Football Grounds from the start of the following season.

Edited by erskblue

5 hours ago, erskblue said:

Archie Macpherson: There was something toxic about our society ...It's like a scene from Apocalypse Now!' Archie Macpherson

May 1980 Scottish Cup Final. Police horses on the field,

The police restored order after a pitch invasion by both sets of supporters.

This fighting led to the banning of alcohol at Scottish Football Grounds from the start of the following season.

Can't believe that's forty years ago. I've been on a few Rangers supporters buses over the years and no one is supposed to drink alcohol on them but there is always one or two who smuggle on stuff. Normally vodka in bottles of orange juice.

10 minutes ago, Boyne said:

Can't believe that's forty years ago. I've been on a few Rangers supporters buses over the years and no one is supposed to drink alcohol on them but there is always one or two who smuggle on stuff. Normally vodka in bottles of orange juice.

Remember going to a Cup Final  on a supporters bus when we were stopped by the police for 'a routine alcohol check'.

As the two police officers came on board the silent supporters bus.

A voice from the middle of the bus simply said:" No alcohol on these buses officers."

" Thanks, Have a safe journey and enjoy the game lads." was their reply and they departed the bus !

The 'voice' was actually a senior police officer, a member of the Supporters club and going to the game.

He was their boss !:biggrin:

20 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Remember going to a Cup Final  on a supporters bus when we were stopped by the police for 'a routine alcohol check'.

As the two police officers came on board the silent supporters bus.

A voice from the middle of the bus simply said:" No alcohol on these buses officers."

" Thanks, Have a safe journey and enjoy the game lads." was their reply and they departed the bus !

The 'voice' was actually a senior police officer, a member of the Supporters club and going to the game.

He was their boss !:biggrin:

Brilliant story. Reminded me of something that happened many many years ago when I was a kid. Me, my two sisters and our parents were on holiday in Scotland and were staying at my Dad's parents in Larkhall. One day we had gone up to Loch Lomond for the day and on the way back went through Glasgow to visit Ibrox. My Dad had to stop and ask for directions. The person he stopped to ask was an off-duty copper. Copper said, I'll show the way. My Mum got into the back street with us kids so the copper could get into the passenger seat. My Dad was worried as he had been drinking. I think the copper ignored the fact as one of the reasons he offered to help was to get home.