In defence of Emenelo and other stuff

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Hi all,

I've been meaning to write this post for a while. But a combination of laziness, business and other things meant i've only got around to it now.

The main writing of this post is to present my personal opinion that Micheal Emenelo hasn't been as bad as made out and at the same time present my justification as to why I feel Mourinho (excuse my French), f*cked us.

Disclaimer:

I'm using that website Transferleague.co.uk as the basis of my calculations. It should (of course) be used as a guide rather than exact calculations. Additionally, as most of us with some familiarity of FFP, transfer spend doesn't mean as much as the media would tend to indicate. It's the player's wages, ammortised transfer fee (eg. a 50 million pound transfer over 5 years = 10 million pound a year amortisation) and other things which matters, not just flat transfer fee. Also, we always throw around statements like "he was a Mourinho signing", "he was bought above the manager's head", etc to justify our own pre-set opinions. I do my best in this post to not do this, but certain assumptions are somewhat unavoidable. Finally, my ratings are my own and are generally conservatively made but with the obvious benefit of hindsight.

1/5 means very bad, 2/5 means more bad than good, 3/5 means more good than bad, 4/5 means very good and 5/5 means excellent value

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/chelsea/english-football-teams/chelsea-transfers

Season 10/11            
In Fee Rating   Out Fee Rating
Yossi Benayoun £5,000,000 2/5   Miroslav Stoch £2,500,000 4/5
Ramires £18,300,000 3/5   Scott Sinclair £500,000 2/5
Fernando Torres £50,000,000 1/5   Ricardo Carvalho £7,000,000 3/5
David Luiz £21,300,000 2/5   Franco Di Santo £2,000,000 3/5
        Michael Ballack  Released 2/5
        Juliano Belletti  Released 3/5
        Joe Cole  Released 2/5
        Deco Free 3/5

Season 11/12            
Thibaut Courtois £6,000,000 5/5   Gokhan Tore £1,000,000 2/5
Oriol Romeu £4,350,000 2/5   Michael Mancienne £3,000,000 3/5
Romelu Lukaku £20,000,000 3/5   Jack Cork £1,200,000 2/5
Juan Mata £23,500,000 3/5   Yuri Zhirkov £13,200,000 3/5
Raul Meireles £12,000,000 2/5   Slobodan Rajkovic £2,000,000 3/5
Gary Cahil £7,000,000 3/5   Alex £4,200,000 3/5
Kevin De Bruyne  £6,700,000 5/5   Nemanja Matic Undisclosed 2/5
Patrick Bamford £1,500,000 3/5        
Lucas £5,000,000 2/5        

Season 12/13            
Marko Marin £6,500,000 1/5   Jose Bosingwa Free 3/5
Eden Hazard £32,000,000 4/5   Daniel Sturridge £12,000,000 2/5
Thorgan Hazard Undisclosed 2/5   Raul Meireles £8,000,000 3/5
Oscar £25,000,000 3/5        
César Azpilicueta £7,000,000 5/5        
Victor Moses £9,000,000 4/5        
Demba Ba £7,500,000 3/5        
Wallace £5,000,000 2/5        

Mourinho joined
Season 13/14            
Andre Schurrle £18,000,000 3/5   Florent Malouda  Released 3/5
Marco van Ginkel £8,000,000 3/5   Jeffrey Bruma £2,500,000 3/5
Samuel Eto'o Free 3/5   Kevin De Bruyne £17,000,000 1/5
Willian £30,000,000 3/5   Juan Mata £37,100,000 3/5
Christian Atsu £3,500,000 3/5   Michael Essien Free 2/5
Bertrand Traore Free  3/5        
Nemanja Matic £21,000,000 3/5        
Mohamed Salah £11,000,000 3/5        
Kurt Zouma £12,500,000 5/5        

Season 14/15            
Cesc Fàbregas £30,000,000 2/5   David Luiz £40,000,000 3/5
Diego Costa £32,000,000 3/5   Samuel Eto Released 2/5
Filipe Luís £15,800,000 3/5   Demba Ba £4,700,000 3/5
Loïc Rémy £10,500,000 2/5   Patrick van Aanholt £1,500,000 2/5
Juan Cuadrado £27,000,000 2/5   Romelu Lukaku £28,000,000 3/5
        Fernando Torres Free 2/5
        Ryan Bertrand £10,000,000 2/5
        André Schürrle £22,000,000 3/5
        Thorgan Hazzard £6,000,000 3/5

Season 15/16            
Asmir Begovi? £8,000,000 3/5   Gaël Kakuta £5,200,000 3/5
Baba Rahman £17,600,000 2/5   Petr ?ech £10,000,000 2/5
Pedro £21,400,000 2/5   Josh McEachran £750,000 2/5
Kenedy £6,300,000 3/5   Filipe Luís £11,100,000 2/5
Papy Djilobodji £4,000,000 3/5   Oriol Romeu £5,000,000 2/5
Michael Hector £5,400,000 2/5   Thorgan Hazard £5,800,000 3/5

Mourinho left
Matt Miazga £3,500,000 3/5   Ramires £25,000,000 4/5

Season 16/17            
Michy Batshuayi £32,300,000 3/5   Mohamed Salah Undisclosed 3/5
N'Golo Kanté £30,000,000 4/5   Papy Djilobodji £8,000,000 3/5
Marcos Alonso £23,000,000 ?   Marko Marin £2,500,000 3/5
David Luiz £34,000,000 ?        

Now, if you look at the actual transfers, in the time Emenalo was Technical Director up till when Mourinho rejoined the club (and Emenalo offered his resignation). Apart from the Torres disaster, the club had been decent to good to in the market. In came players like Courtious for £6 million (initially loaned out), Mata, Lukaku, De Bruyne (absolute bargain at £6.7 million), Hazard, Oscar and Azpilicueta. It's easy to look at some of the signings like Oscar and say they weren't great, but i'd argue if the club were to sell him, they'd get back more than what they paid. Selling Sturridge for £12 million was probably the worst of the outgoings as while he's injured alot, he would have been handy to keep around.

The issue starts when Mourinho joined. In his 2.5 seasons at the club, in came the likes of Schurrle, Willian, Matic, Zouma, Fabregas, Costa, Cuadrado and Pedro amongst others. Some of these deals were solid (like Zouma who was a bargain), but to make these purchases we had to give up the likes of Mata, De Bruyne, Lukaku, Luiz, etc. Not all these sales were bad either, but on balance, I think there is no doubt that the club is worse off on the whole from Mourinho's time at the club.

Assuming for a moment that we reversed the deals we did (Mourinho bought no one and sold no-one), our current side might look something like this.....

------------------------------Cech-------------------------------

Azpi---------------Luiz-------------Terry-------------Alonso

--------------------Kante-------------Ramires-----------------

De Bruyne---------Mata/Batshuayi---------------Hazard

------------------------------Lukaku------------------------------

And we'd have cash in the bank to have made further signings (how much exactly I haven't bothered to calculate).

Edit: I had a quick look and we spent over £50 million net over the Mourinho-mk2 years. So imagine the above side plus another £50 million pounds to go out and buy another CB and centre mid.

Now it would be easy at this point to slot Zouma in, Costa and pretend Felipe Luis was bought but not sold, etc. But we'd be getting into the whole "what is/was a Mourinho or Emenalo signing". However I think it's fair to assume that Mourinho had control of the first team signings in his ill-fated second stint at Chelsea as evidenced by the the Emenalo offer of resignation and the various quotes attributed to the likes of De Bruyne, Lukaku and Mata.

I'll be the first to admit I was wrong earlier. At the time Mourinho was trading out De Bruyne and Mata and Lukaku for Cesc, Costa, Willian, Matic, I thought he was a genius. But in hindsight, Mourinho's 2nd tenure at the club was a bit of disaster when it came to transfer policy and in my personal opinion, it's unfair to blame Emenalo for Mourinho's failings in the transfer market.

Thankyou for reading my post. Look forward to all the abuse :P

Edited by Guest

Blaming Mourinho for KDB and Lukaku selling? Are you serious? Both players want to leave because they want to play first team football, not because Mourinho want to sell them

Why would a manager bow down to player's force to put them into starting 11? this need to be earn by the players, not by going into manager's office and say ' i need to start or i am leaving'

KDB went to a smaller team which guaranteed the start and work out, good for him, but what would happen if Jose just let them walk into the starting lineup? Every other player might do the same thing, this would be a disaster.

8 minutes ago, strong centreback said:

First thing I noticed that made no sense to me is you have rated miazga on par with Diego? And miazga better than fabregas? I said when we signed him and happy to say it again, he won't make it here

The ratings were judged proportionally to the player's transfer cost. I don't believe Miazga is better than Fabregas, but at 12% of the cost, you're rating them on different criteria. I'd be confident Miazga will end up departing the club at a greater transfer profit/smaller percentage loss than Fabregas.

That said, I put them together quickly just as a guide.

For example I gave Ramires 3/5 and Luiz 2/5 in 2010-11, but on deeper thought i'd probably swap those scores.

The point of the post was to say that in general (and there are always exceptions here and there), we as a club, performed better in the transfer market in the non-Mourinho(mk2) years.

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, Qaz said:

The ratings were judged proportionally to the player's transfer cost. I don't believe Miazga is better than Fabregas, but at 12% of the cost, you're rating them on different criteria. I'd be confident Miazga will end up departing the club at a greater transfer profit/smaller percentage loss than Fabregas.

That said, I put them together quickly just as a guide.

For example I gave Ramires 3/5 and Luiz 2/5 in 2010-11, but on deeper thought i'd probably swap those scores.

The point of the post was to say that in general (and there are always exceptions here and there), we as a club, performed better in the transfer market in the non-Mourinho(mk2) years.

o rly? in which part? getting profit or winning trophies?

In terms of squad building and getting value for money in the market........obviously

I can't believe i'm having to spell this out for you......

How old are you?

Edit: sorry, that's a bit harsh. It's fine if you disagree with me. In fact it's better if you do as it opens the discussion. But if you want to be taken seriously please argue with logic and think before making statements that you clearly haven't thought through

Edited by Guest

Didn't we get 50m for Luiz? 

And to me one position sums up our insanity in the last couple of years: left back. We have spent 55m plus trying to replace Ashley Cole. And of course we offloaded the talented Ryan Bertrand as well.

And while it's true KdB and Lukaku were sold against Jose's wishes, you can certainly question his handling of them and his part in making them want to leave. He felt Willian was better than KdB and went for Eto'o rather than give Lukaku a bigger role in the squad.

Can't help but disagree with some of your ratings... Mata 3/5, our player of the season for both his full seasons here as well as a stupendous number of goals and assists. Something like 37 assists in the FSW season? Same rating as Willlian who was more expensive!

Agree with the general sentiment though. Mourinho had a big part to play in the departure of Mata, KDB and Lukaku, and the Felipe Luis fiasco is very him - see his purchase of Modric at Madrid and barely using him until things went to sh*t.

1 minute ago, Samdwich said:

Can't help but disagree with some of your ratings... Mata 3/5, our player of the season for both his full seasons here as well as a stupendous number of goals and assists. Something like 37 assists in the FSW season? Same rating as Willlian who was more expensive!

I agree. In hindsight i'd go with a 4/5.

Would be curious to get everyone else's rankings.

Maybe I should put together a sheet like they do on the man of the match threads

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. So many people were praising Emenalo and our transfer strategy a few years ago when we were replacing unproven players with proven quality and making a profit while doing it, yet now those same players are fading (inevitable as they are older) and we are unable/unwilling to replace them at a cost, the criticism is coming in.

Who is to blame? Everyone. The manager (Mourinho) wanted players to come in to improve the squad, which is a natural demand of most managers. The players that came in DID improve the squad at the time and we won trophies.

There are 2 ways the transfer committee could have prevented our current situation. Option 1) refuse to buy the older players the manager wanted, and insist that the younger players stayed to help us in future years. This strategy would have a long-term benefit, but could anger both the manager and the players who want to leave.
Option 2) Keep buying. When it becomes apparent that Matic/Ivanovic/Cahill etc etc are losing form/ageing, you buy in quality replacements to ensure the quality of the squad stays high. Obviously this is an expensive option and may be very difficult under FFP rules.

If Mourinho was promised some control over transfers, then refusing to buy players he demands is immediately going to anger him and cause issues. The ideal scenario would have been Mourinho keeping and utilising our younger players at the time, but nobody was complaining when we won the league. Nobody complained when we made a huge profit on KDB and Lukaku and re-invested in quality. And most of all, Mourinho claims he never wanted those players sold, so who sanctioned those sales?

Mourinho had a short-term vision which the younger players didn't fit into, but with Abramovich's reputation for sacking managers who in the world would come here and NOT have a short-term vision? I don't blame Jose entirely, although his refusal to use some young players is a factor. I don't blame Emenalo entirely, although his decision to allow those players to leave is a factor. I don't blame Abramovich entirely but he has created a short-term working environment for managers coming in due to numerous sackings (some deserved) in the past. Blame lies everywhere at the club and now we have a huge job to pull ourselves out of the sh*t. Roman has to put up big money, the transfer board needs to make smart signings and we need our manager to feel confident that he has time and job securiy to think long-term and ensure that we build a squad that will stay together for a long time.

And we might need to see some flying pigs too, for good measure

Coxy - a very good & balanced response to the op.

Qaz - a few thoughts:

(i)    Ordinarily I couldn't give a toss about poster's spelling but it's Emenalo not Emenelo isn't it?

(ii)    I think it would have been useful by way of preface to set out a comparison table of our nett spend for each season over the last 5 to 6 years don't you think & then to link it to our results for each season & possibly to then link it to the nett spends of our competitors over the same period;

(iii)    You say at one point (& entirely reasonably imo) that we can't be sure as to whom was ultimately responsible for each & every transfer at the club during the period you've chosen to look at but then proceed on the assumption that Mourinho was whilst here in his 2nd tenure due to Emenalo offering to resign as technical director when the former was re-hired. As far as I'm aware, that offer was declined by the board was it not? So, if Emenalo continued as technical director during Mourinho's 2nd stint (which he did & does to this day), don't you think it's reasonable to assume that he continued to have some input into our transfers? If not, what did his role as technical director comprise? If it is the case that he continued to have some role in the transfer team (which surely he must have) then wouldn't it have been more honest to conclude - as has Coxy - that no one individual is to blame for the success and/or failure of our transfers over the last 5 to 6 years? To say, as you do, that "Jose f**ked us" (ie. solely to blame) & to express a view that Emenalo should not be accorded any blame whatsoever, is rather myopic isn't it?

(iv)   Finally, and as you state, your analysis has been conducted in total hindsight - now obviously hindsight has it value but I have to say that selective hindsight/cherrypicking rarely has any value whatsoever when it is used predominantly as a tool to found a rather specious conclusion - ie. that Mourinho is solely to blame.

4 hours ago, Coxy15 said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. So many people were praising Emenalo and our transfer strategy a few years ago when we were replacing unproven players with proven quality and making a profit while doing it, yet now those same players are fading (inevitable as they are older) and we are unable/unwilling to replace them at a cost, the criticism is coming in.

Who is to blame? Everyone. The manager (Mourinho) wanted players to come in to improve the squad, which is a natural demand of most managers. The players that came in DID improve the squad at the time and we won trophies.

There are 2 ways the transfer committee could have prevented our current situation. Option 1) refuse to buy the older players the manager wanted, and insist that the younger players stayed to help us in future years. This strategy would have a long-term benefit, but could anger both the manager and the players who want to leave.
Option 2) Keep buying. When it becomes apparent that Matic/Ivanovic/Cahill etc etc are losing form/ageing, you buy in quality replacements to ensure the quality of the squad stays high. Obviously this is an expensive option and may be very difficult under FFP rules.

If Mourinho was promised some control over transfers, then refusing to buy players he demands is immediately going to anger him and cause issues. The ideal scenario would have been Mourinho keeping and utilising our younger players at the time, but nobody was complaining when we won the league. Nobody complained when we made a huge profit on KDB and Lukaku and re-invested in quality. And most of all, Mourinho claims he never wanted those players sold, so who sanctioned those sales?

Mourinho had a short-term vision which the younger players didn't fit into, but with Abramovich's reputation for sacking managers who in the world would come here and NOT have a short-term vision? I don't blame Jose entirely, although his refusal to use some young players is a factor. I don't blame Emenalo entirely, although his decision to allow those players to leave is a factor. I don't blame Abramovich entirely but he has created a short-term working environment for managers coming in due to numerous sackings (some deserved) in the past. Blame lies everywhere at the club and now we have a huge job to pull ourselves out of the sh*t. Roman has to put up big money, the transfer board needs to make smart signings and we need our manager to feel confident that he has time and job securiy to think long-term and ensure that we build a squad that will stay together for a long time.

And we might need to see some flying pigs too, for good measure

Believe me i definitely saw some fans (me included) rebel against the idea of selling kdb. But Mourinho could do n wrong and if you criticised his methods, you were likely to be called an ungrateful plastic. 

People saying you cant just walk into the first team, well for kdb it was looking very grim. The lad hardly had a sniff. You cant say the board sold them against his wishes when most were so annoyed, that they didnt want to be at Chelsea anymore. Just poor man management with young and hungry players.

5 minutes ago, KonaKai Blue said:

Believe me i definitely saw some fans (me included) rebel against the idea of selling kdb. But Mourinho could do n wrong and if you criticised his methods, you were likely to be called an ungrateful plastic. 

People saying you cant just walk into the first team, well for kdb it was looking very grim. The lad hardly had a sniff. You cant say the board sold them against his wishes when most were so annoyed, that they didnt want to be at Chelsea anymore. Just poor man management with young and hungry players.

So....you've chosen one transfer out of dozens over the material period. And regards a player who at the time had issued an ultimatum after playing a handful of games. Doesn't really add to the discussion does it?

2 minutes ago, youlots said:

So....you've chosen one transfer out of dozens over the material period. And regards a player who at the time had issued an ultimatum after playing a handful of games. Doesn't really add to the discussion does it?

Ok i will also add that I was unhappy with the sale of Mata with Oscar getting the nod, Betrand and Schurlle. Is that enough?

11 minutes ago, KonaKai Blue said:

I'm not saying some fans didn't complain, but I think the majority accepted the transfers as part of our ongoing strategy of buy low-sell high/loan ad inifinitum when it comes to young players. I agree KDB could have had more chances and after his pre-season and the Hull game I was definitely one of those eager to see him playing regularly. It didn't happen and yes, that is down to the manager entirely. However, actually selling him is not the manager's decision or responsibility. That was the transfer department. We could have loaned him. Could have refused to sell (he was under contract for several years after all) but we didn't. We CHOSE to sell him. Obviously you could argue that we don't want an unhappy player at the club, but you could also argue that a player who wants out at the first sign of being dropped is not a player who is thinking of the club, only himself.

It's not black and white, and that is just one transfer out of many that occurred over the past few years. In hindsight we would all agree it hasn't worked out well, but we sold Schurrle, another young player with talent and potential to the same team, and who is calling the board out on that one now? Nobody because we got good money and he hasn't improved. KDB could have gone exactly the same way but it didn't so now we complain. It's very easy to look back and say selling Schurrle was a good decision and selling KDB was a terrible decision but hindsight is always 20/20. We just gotta deal with the crap we have now and learn from our mistakes rather than dwelling on them and blaming Mourinho for every goal KDB scores for Man City ( exaggeration, not saying you actually do that)

4 minutes ago, KonaKai Blue said:

Ok i will also add that I was unhappy with the sale of Mata with Oscar getting the nod, Betrand and Schurlle. Is that enough?

Well...it wasn't your post I quoted was it? However, and notwithstanding that, obviously some posters including you will remain unhappy regarding some transfers - surely that's the case at any club is it not? What is your point exactly in relation to the op - ie. do you agree with the op's opinion that Mourinho is solely to blame for the success and/or failure of out transfers for the whole of the period that Emenalo has been technical director at the club?

46 minutes ago, youlots said:

Well...it wasn't your post I quoted was it? However, and notwithstanding that, obviously some posters including you will remain unhappy regarding some transfers - surely that's the case at any club is it not? What is your point exactly in relation to the op - ie. do you agree with the op's opinion that Mourinho is solely to blame for the success and/or failure of out transfers for the whole of the period that Emenalo has been technical director at the club?

I would put most of the blame on Jose yes. Before he came, we had acquired some amazing talent. We were a striker and dm away from being a complete side. Emanalo done a good job recruiting such talent before Jose came. When Rafa was here, the squad was inbalanced with donkeys like Torres but the talent we had was exciting. Jose ripped that all up with his defensive phillosophy, won a league title and now we look terrible. 80% of the players he sold I would take back in a heartbeat.

In defense of Emenalo, he's not going to sack himself. I applaud him trying to resign a few years ago, and shame on Roman and the board not accepting it.

But he's not qualified for this job at all, and neither are any of the board members. Speak of the devil, here's Marco's write up this morning on ESPN...

"Exasperated supporters raged about the glaring deficiencies of Emenalo's CV and many pointed their fingers of blame for Mourinho's cataclysmic demise at the Nigerian, who was brought into the club as a scout in 2007 by former manager Avram Grant -- another Abramovich hire with a questionable football pedigree. At the time of joining Chelsea, Emenalo said the chance of working for Grant was "a wonderful soccer education -- like studying for your PhD at Harvard".

Emenalo's comment bordered on the ridiculous even then. Now it reads like a laughable example of the "it's not what you know, it's who you know," culture that has pervaded Chelsea since Abramovich bought the club in 2003. Currently pulling the boardroom strings is Marina Granovskaia, who previously worked for the Russian at Abramovich's oil company Sibneft, where the head of corporate finance was Eugene Tenenbaum -- another trusted consultant at SW6  -- alongside Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck, a corporate lawyer who worked on the deal to sell 72 percent of Sibneft to Gazprom in 2005."

Edited by brienwulff

What i think is amazing, is how some people say things like "the board need to give the manager full control over transfers and the team".

The manager then gets full control of the team and sells players that end up being great for other teams.

Those same people (I imagine) then blame Emenelo for all the signings that didn't quite work out.  I think there needs to be a blend of responsibilities based off trust.

You cannot have it every way.  I think the biggest criticism of Mourinho was his lack of future thinking.  Ok fair enough, some players might not fit into your time right now, but when they are young and promising, selling them isn't the answer.  I'd also couple his stubbornness there, I think managers should never write off anyone on their playing list.  They should all be coachable, to sell them would be to admit your own shortcomings as a manager.

For the record, i think selling Mata was a tough but correct piece of business.  If you want success of course.  If you want sentiment then yeah poor decision, he really did bleed blue. I'd have that up at 4/5.  That sale played a big part in us winning the title and United have only just managed an FA cup a few months ago since his arrival.

Edited by Van Butsen

But a combination of laziness, business and other things meant i've only got around to it now.

How long you were holding back to this notion that when you publish your numbers, all will be clarified? Emenalo, Granovskaia and Co. are absolute   is s^&*t. Numbers are not needed, this is not commodity trading. The only thing these people have going for them is Roman's madness and pockets.

The sad part is that Emenalo could be a terrific youth development director, but instead he is failing miserably as Club director and dragging us fans down with him along with the other clowns in the board.

Edited by Boricua Blue