Leandro Paredes

Wearyourblue

41 minutes ago, abramovich said:

Well written article - just a shame there was no context applied to how he might perform in the high intensity environment of the Premier League (I've only scanned it so apologies if it does make a valid case).

Anyway, 5.9" isn't really a great height for a 'regista' is it - remember Coquelin? Why so many fouls? :wink:

We were so easy to play against through the middle vs Newcastle, with Jorginho/Paredes I guess we'll just have to get used to it - we couldn't live with Newcastle's physicality.

I don't doubt he's a good player but the Premier League will expose his weaknesses, it always does.... he had life easy at Zenit.

7 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Looks like he’ll slot in beautifully.

I saw nothing in that video that suggests he will be any better than what we already have. It's easy to pass it about when there is no pressure from oppo players. It's completely different when your being pressed to death, as Jorginho has found out.

54 minutes ago, Old Shaggy said:

I saw nothing in that video that suggests he will be any better than what we already have. It's easy to pass it about when there is no pressure from oppo players. It's completely different when your being pressed to death, as Jorginho has found out.

He would instantly become our best shooter outside the box but other than that, I agree with you

27 minutes ago, Old Shaggy said:

Played 27 - Scored 3 - Assists 3

Ahh the old stats argument.  I think if you take a look at some of his goals and free kicks, you would have to agree that he has a nice long range shot.  And to be clear, I agreed with your original post otherwise.

2 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Ahh the old stats argument.  I think if you take a look at some of his goals and free kicks, you would have to agree that he has a nice long range shot.  And to be clear, I agreed with your original post otherwise.

I'm glad you agree, but I don't agree with your "best shooter outside the box" comment. The goals scored and assist stats are a pretty good way of disproving that fact!

4 minutes ago, Old Shaggy said:

I'm glad you agree, but I don't agree with your "best shooter outside the box" comment. The goals scored and assist stats are a pretty good way of disproving that fact!

Actually assists have no bearing on whether a player is a good shooter outside the box.  Stats are one of the worst ways to disprove a fact.  You're telling me if Paredes was out there ripping shots toward the top corner, and the keeper gets fingertips to them and makes a fantastic save, you would consider him not to be a good shooter because he didn't get a goal for his efforts?

Who exactly do you think is better?  The only one I would make a slight argument for is Willian.

9 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Actually assists have no bearing on whether a player is a good shooter outside the box.  Stats are one of the worst ways to disprove a fact.  You're telling me if Paredes was out there ripping shots toward the top corner, and the keeper gets fingertips to them and makes a fantastic save, you would consider him not to be a good shooter because he didn't get a goal for his efforts?

Who exactly do you think is better?  The only one I would make a slight argument for is Willian.

Hold on...... what?! Assists yes, but goals! For someone who has only scored 3 goals in 27 matches, in a league far inferior to the Premier League, yes I do think that proves he is sh*te at scoring from out side the box!

Please show me what proof you have that he would be the best shooter outside the box.

6 minutes ago, Old Shaggy said:

Hold on...... what?! Assists yes, but goals! For someone who has only scored 3 goals in 27 matches, in a league far inferior to the Premier League, yes I do think that proves he is sh*te at scoring from out side the box!

Please show me what proof you have that he would be the best shooter outside the box.

Please don't confuse ability and production.  He can be a good outside the box shooter without scoring a lot of goals.

My proof that he would be the best is apparent - we don't have anyone now that is very dangerous outside the box.  It's not hard to be the best when everyone else is either not good at it or doesn't ever attempt any.  I think we have had 2 goals scored from there in the league this season - Willian home against Cardiff and Barkley away against Burnley.  Let me know if I'm missing any.

Just now, mwblue10 said:

Please don't confuse ability and production.  He can be a good outside the box shooter without scoring a lot of goals.

My proof that he would be the best is apparent - we don't have anyone now that is very dangerous outside the box.  It's not hard to be the best when everyone else is either not good at it or doesn't ever attempt any.  I think we have had 2 goals scored from there in the league this season - Willian home against Cardiff and Barkley away against Burnley.  Let me know if I'm missing any.

Ok, lets put to the side for now that his goals scored stat is poor. Please show me what it is that you have seen that proves he's good at "shooting" from outside the box. And please don't point me towards that video, because it shows no such thing.

4 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Figured we should move this to direct message, didn't want to completely blow up the thread with our debate :)

I'll find a video that shows why i think what i think.

No, the conversation is fine here. I don't think discussing his ability here is derailing the thread.

3 minutes ago, Old Shaggy said:

@mwblue10 Just for your info. Out of his 3 goals this season, one was a free kick, one was a penalty and the other was from about a yard outside the box. So you're going to have to work hard to convince me of your claim.

Take a look at the 3 goals that start off this one.  He clearly has a good shot.  Would I expect him to come here and start banging in goals left and right?  Not for a second.  But I stand by my claim that he would be our best outside the box shooter, that is my opinion.

Also, to provide some context, I am not advocating for us to sign him.  In fact, I have previously posted that, if you consider age and cost, I would rather we signed Barella.  3 years younger and only ~15m more.

I've been a long time fan on this player. He's certainly not strong in the goal scoring department, but doesn't need to be. He is easily worth around the £40m mark if we are to give a fair evaluation of his talent. 

Bearing in mind that £40m also equates to 1 Bakayoko, so it's a cursed price. 

14 hours ago, the special one said:

Chelsea make £26.8m transfer bid for Leandro Paredes as they target Cesc Fabregas replacement

Source - Evening Standard

rejected apparently ...:face_palm: makes you wonder with an opening bid so low do we really want him.  I always shake my head how we piss about in a transfer market with low ball offers....not like we are Spurs or Arsenal for f**k sake; then take another 2 weeks to secure a deal at the price the other club wanted in the first place.

Archived