The clothing we wore to the football back then.

erskblue

On 08/02/2022 at 22:33, bluehaze said:

My brother had a pair of these and also a pair of spats both of which i thought were bloody hideous.  There was a Shelly's in Kilburn my other brother RIP bought a pair of 11 hole Southerner steel toe cap DM''S which looking back were so dangerous 

FJ34-9FXEAMoixi.jpg.818fb9a42d0919e36aba8125881d6cf9.jpg

Being the massive Jam fan I was (and still am), I used to get loads of gear from Carnaby Street and also shoes from Shelleys in Oxford Street.

Never quite had the balls to get the black & white Jam shoes so got an all black pair but also had three pairs of bowling shoes, one all black + 1 blue & black and 1 red & black + if I recall rightly a pair of "wheelers" which were based on a cycling shoe. Loved them and felt like the mutz nutz!

12 hours ago, Nibs said:

Being the massive Jam fan I was (and still am), I used to get loads of gear from Carnaby Street and also shoes from Shelleys in Oxford Street.

Never quite had the balls to get the black & white Jam shoes so got an all black pair but also had three pairs of bowling shoes, one all black + 1 blue & black and 1 red & black + if I recall rightly a pair of "wheelers" which were based on a cycling shoe. Loved them and felt like the mutz nutz!

A couple of years ago I was on the bus I saw Weller walking down the road in Maida Vale he looked up I gave him the thumbs up he waved back fair play to him. If the bus was stopping I would have got off and thanked him for All Mod Cons which is still one of my favourite albums of all time and I bought it about four miles away from where we were in the Our Price in Brent Cross 41 years previous.

8 hours ago, bluehaze said:

A couple of years ago I was on the bus I saw Weller walking down the road in Maida Vale he looked up I gave him the thumbs up he waved back fair play to him. If the bus was stopping I would have got off and thanked him for All Mod Cons which is still one of my favourite albums of all time and I bought it about four miles away from where we were in the Our Price in Brent Cross 41 years previous.

Being thick or naive I never actually associated them with The Jam.

In January 79 Grant Santino wore a pair when he won the World Disco Dancing Championship. The following Monday at school, a mate seemed chuffed he was donning the same footwear as himself. Was Weller wearing them back then?

12 hours ago, bluehaze said:

Mate, never mind one of your favourites - it's THE greatest album of ALL TIME. Life changer for me.

13 hours ago, Nibs said:

Mate, never mind one of your favourites - it's THE greatest album of ALL TIME. Life changer for me.

I mentioned in another thread the first concert I went to was The Jam at the Fair Deal in Brixton as a 15 year old in 1981 I can't remember much about it although I do remember my late brother having is long handle steel comb confiscated by the bouncers. I went to my second concert in 1985 with a militant bird I briefly went out with when they scrapped the GLC saw OMD, Billy Bragg and Aswad it was a load of old bollocks 😆

7 hours ago, bluehaze said:

I mentioned in another thread the first concert I went to was The Jam at the Fair Deal in Brixton as a 15 year old in 1981 I can't remember much about it although I do remember my late brother having is long handle steel comb confiscated by the bouncers. I went to my second concert in 1985 with a militant bird I briefly went out with when they scrapped the GLC saw OMD, Billy Bragg and Aswad it was a load of old bollocks 😆

Sure it wasn't 82? I saw them 3 times, once at The Rainbow in 81 and then Brixton Fair Deal March 82 just after The Gift came out and final tour at Wembley in the December. All great gigs.

Good old Billy Bragg. Saw him a few times in the 80's. Hearts in the right place and did loads of gigs in support of the miners (along with the likes of Weller). Talking of militant, One bad I regret never getting to see live was The Redskins. Love some of their stuff, but they weren't around for long.

3 hours ago, Nibs said:

Sure it wasn't 82? I saw them 3 times, once at The Rainbow in 81 and then Brixton Fair Deal March 82 just after The Gift came out and final tour at Wembley in the December. All great gigs.

Good old Billy Bragg. Saw him a few times in the 80's. Hearts in the right place and did loads of gigs in support of the miners (along with the likes of Weller). Talking of militant, One bad I regret never getting to see live was The Redskins. Love some of their stuff, but they weren't around for long.

Your right it was 82 I was 15 a month before my 16th birthday. Billy Bragg is really tiresome now he's a good songwriter but to be honest a bit of a twat. I never got into the Redskins I knew about them I used to read the NME back then but the Red Wedge thing was not for me and I think Weller regrets getting involved as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Martin King RIP is a Chelsea legend and this is interesting but I don't agree with everything he says. He says he didn't see a lot of people wearing Fila, Lacoste at Chelsea but he would have been nearly 30 in 1984 when for me the scene more or less finished I was 18 and young people were wearing it everywhere and it wasn't just the labels everyone mentions but others like Benneton, Burberry, Kapa etc. And he was definitely to old for the rave scene and says he didn't know anyone who went to them no 35 year olds I knew went either. He does mention the flight jackets popular about 81 I had a green and blue one my mate got a really expensive one taxed off him in Stonebridge. 

What you saw very little of at Chelsea or in wider society were punks couple of people might have spiky hair but that was about it. When I first started going Chelsea regularly in 1976-77 the most popular item of clothing especially for the over 25's was the donkey jacket. This of course is just my opinion and others will remember it differently. 

On 25/06/2022 at 20:59, Ballack & Blu said:

I Remember the ICF in their Kappa ski jackets

I remember Campari Ski Jackets. Never owned one. The scene wasnt' really associated with coats IMO

On 25/06/2022 at 10:13, bluehaze said:

Martin King RIP is a Chelsea legend and this is interesting but I don't agree with everything he says. He says he didn't see a lot of people wearing Fila, Lacoste at Chelsea but he would have been nearly 30 in 1984 when for me the scene more or less finished I was 18 and young people were wearing it everywhere and it wasn't just the labels everyone mentions but others like Benneton, Burberry, Kapa etc. And he was definitely to old for the rave scene and says he didn't know anyone who went to them no 35 year olds I knew went either. He does mention the flight jackets popular about 81 I had a green and blue one my mate got a really expensive one taxed off him in Stonebridge. 

What you saw very little of at Chelsea or in wider society were punks couple of people might have spiky hair but that was about it. When I first started going Chelsea regularly in 1976-77 the most popular item of clothing especially for the over 25's was the donkey jacket. This of course is just my opinion and others will remember it differently. 

Agreed. He's his usual forthright and amusing self there but a bit off the mark regarding the 80's stuff there RIP.

He was 10 years older than me. I don't remember anyone wearing the clothes over 25/26 maximum

6 hours ago, Fruit Bat said:

Agreed. He's his usual forthright and amusing self there but a bit off the mark regarding the 80's stuff there RIP.

He was 10 years older than me. I don't remember anyone wearing the clothes over 25/26 maximum

He's just talking about fashion as he knew it in London which was far more affluent than the North in the 60's and 70's. Liverpool started the casual scene it's a given but Londoners moved it up a notch with Armani, Aquascutum etc. I do agree about the Northern Soul scene that was very niche but the rise of the internet and a couple of films have made it very popular I must admit I do like a lot of the music.

On 28/06/2022 at 10:13, Ballack & Blu said:

Was in the winter, lol

I use to where various golf jackets and other lightweight ' nanny goats ' but I don't remember ski coats until 85 when labels on the outside were becoming rare.

Just polo necks with a couple of layers underneath if necessary plus a jumper on top seemed the standard garb, even at aways such as freezing Oldham much to my Mum's chagrin.

Safari coats were big for a bit probably late 81 early 82, normally in Burgundy. I went to Spurs v Arsenal night game my last year at school for a night game and remember a lot of the Arsenal firm including many black lads wearing them. I had a canvas type material version which was the last thick coat I wore to football for a good while.

If you look online at casual photos from say 81 to 84 - Pompey had their own photographer almost and theyre's rakes of pictures of them - well dressed mob - you'll hardly see a coat on display anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Fruit Bat said:

I use to where various golf jackets and other lightweight ' nanny goats ' but I don't remember ski coats until 85 when labels on the outside were becoming rare.

Just polo necks with a couple of layers underneath if necessary plus a jumper on top seemed the standard garb, even at aways such as freezing Oldham much to my Mum's chagrin.

Safari coats were big for a bit probably late 81 early 82, normally in Burgundy. I went to Spurs v Arsenal night game my last year at school for a night game and remember a lot of the Arsenal firm including many black lads wearing them. I had a canvas type material version which was the last thick coat I wore to football for a good while.

If you look online at casual photos from say 81 to 84 - Pompey had their own photographer almost and theyre's rakes of pictures of them - well dressed mob - you'll hardly see a coat on display anywhere.

Pikeys are a different breed to most of us though🤣🤣🤣

Before I could afford a Pringle I used to pinch me old mans Argyle Marks and Sparks jumper.

I also had a cheapo red acrylic diamond number which was such a poverty model the front diamond wasn't symetrical with the V Neck.