Sign in to follow this  
erskblue

The clothing we wore to the football back then.

Some of us of 'a certain Chelsea Vintage' (old gits for short ) have been reminiscing about what we wore to the football back then.

Guilty as charged. :oldboy:

Yeah okay then, it was what we wore to the football in the 70s, 80s and into the 90s if I'm being honest.

The 1970s, 1980s and 1990s before the comments start:biggrin:

About our  Sergio Tacchini, Fila, Ellesse, Kappa, adidas, Nike, Pringle Jerseys, Lyle and Scott etc etc.

The Le Coq Classic strips of that season and the one after, will also a mention I'm sure.

Thought I'd start an new thread on the subject. So if anyone wants to reminisce then, please feel free. Otherwise it'll be a short thread !

Image result for adidas zx500 originals adidas zx500s. They were running shoes and cost £44.99 when they came out in the autumn of 1984. I was very fortunate back then, in that I'd some sports clothing vouchers and so put some saved up money to buying a pair.

Posted (edited)

To be fair most of the time in the mid 70's i was dressed like a street urchin ,then came punk and i had home made bondage trousers for a few days .I then realized a/ i actually couldnt walk in them and b/i was the only punk in the village and couldnt cope with the pressure  

By the early 80's i was in the 1981 pin strip home shirt ,black cardigan (brand unknown ) monkey boots and jeans .The trouble was ,i was into football and music and not fashion (well i was but was ,in hindsight ,i was both clueless and skint ! ) Music in the early 80's was the jam  (the best ficking band in the world)  so a mod life for me but wait i loved ska ,ah ok a rude boy look for me but wait i love PIL ,Joy Division ,Echo and the Bunnymen etc ok so a sort of Goth look for me  ie circa Pat Nevin early 82- 83 ie big over coat .So then fashion at CFC became huge, the causal look came long  and i loved it but ,i was still a skint boy in the sticks who had little access to decent shops / sports shops that sold the stuff i liked. I picked up a few bits in town and tried my best .There were big mistakes along the way . i mean  deer stalkers come on ,i had matching ear rings(not great in a scrap! !)  i loved Diadora Borg Elite ,loved a Pringle and was still the only sort of casual in the village ! 

As we moved through time the Paul Weller love in continued and it was (and still is ) a  MOD life for me 

I would add there are some right scruffy kids out there but also a good few who look very smart and clearly get and love clothes  

Edited by F1905

Posted (edited)

Pringle Other - Pringle of Scotland Wool V-Neck Sweater LI'd this Pringle jersey in this photo in black. £34.95 it cost me in the spring of 1987 ! Image result for pringle v neck jerseys 1980sImage result for pringle v neck jerseys 1980s 

A couple more Pringle jerseys. We were certainly well dressed going to the football back then eh !

Edited by erskblue

Think I’ve gone from Levi sta-press to flares then back again. Harrington mostly, sometimes a donkey jacket.

Always Doctor Martens (Never gone out of fashion) still wear a Ben Sherman now and again.

Never liked the Pringle gear or the tracksuits. Loved the ski hats.

14 minutes ago, zinc alloy said:

Think I’ve gone from Levi sta-press to flares then back again. Harrington mostly, sometimes a donkey jacket.

Always Doctor Martens (Never gone out of fashion) still wear a Ben Sherman now and again.

Never liked the Pringle gear or the tracksuits. Loved the ski hats.

I like to wear a Barracuta Harrington from John Simons (Who named the Harrington). Burgundy wingtip brogues and Levis 501's. The shirt is sometimes a button down Madras Pendleton or very Similar. In the winter it's still a Crombie Crombie with a Stetson baggy cap. Haven't seen any Levis Sta-Press for years and didn't know you could still get them. I've seen similar but with that funny skinny low waist look.

Posted (edited)

Of all the terrible hooli films and there's been many I think the best and worse is the firm original and the terrible remake. Gary Oldman is the finest actor of his generation and was believable and menacing the violence just bubbling under and you know it could come to the surface at anytime.

But the remake the geezer just shouts through the whole film and comes across like Harry Enfield's characters the self righteous brothers. But they got the clothes completely wrong I never saw a single person wear the whole tracksuit at Chelsea home or away and not everyone was wearing casual clothes it's stupid to think everyone was us youngsters yes everyone 25 upwards no.  You would see fila's and tachinnis but not to this extent where everyone is wearing them.

scene-from-the-firm-2009-001.jpg?w=460&h=276

Edited by bluehaze

Agree with full tracksuit comments, but do remember seeing people with Tachini bottoms circa 83, which weren’t for me.

This did the rounds for a bit. Haven’t worn it for years because of chav check connactations, though not as obvious as Burberry

There were little variations dress wise between London clubs. Millwall were known for getting the deerstalker hat thing going- went to West Ham v Man Utd probably 83; In the bar of the South Bank at half time noticed loads of Burberry golf jackets, which I’d only seen once at the Bridge.

I think the peak of casual was 83. It changed into something else back end of 84, more discreet no labels on the outside.

12 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

There were little variations dress wise between London clubs. Millwall were known for getting the deerstalker hat thing going- went to West Ham v Man Utd probably 83; In the bar of the South Bank at half time noticed loads of Burberry golf jackets, which I’d only seen once at the Bridge.

I think the peak of casual was 83. It changed into something else back end of 84, more discreet no labels on the outside.

Agreed it went up a notch with Aquascutum, Armani etc but had died out almost completely by 85 the label thing anyway.

All  you rich f**kers with yer labels and such.

Button-fly Levis (didn't know about the numbers then,but cost £3 15s from the cattle market shop), Ben Sherman (still), Harrington and DMs.  Crombie when it was cold (still now for funerals and the like)  Sometimes a nice pair of brogues instead of DMs (steel toecap  ones from work)

Completely off topic but as this isn't strictly a football thread my sister mentioned something that I'd completely forgot about Dial a disc 😀 You rang up she could even remember the number (160) and you could listen to a song from the charts top 20 only I think.

When I left school, I did a YTS.

I used to blow my money on a pringle jumper, or Lois jeans or Farah slacks and be skint for the rest of the week.

I was so proud with my white Nike Wimbledon trainers.

Dressing up for football was so important. You had to look the part.

The casual movement was one of the greatest sub-cultures ever in the UK and it went unnoticed by the media for several years. They never understood it and even now the release of retro hooligan films rarely get it right.

The closest was Alan Clarke’s The Firm with Gary Oldman, even here there were some silly bits but by far the best.

Stuarts on the Uxbridge Road was where it was at for many years in the 80s and I also used to go to a shop down in Bermondsey.

That time at Derby in the 80s when we broke the seats – wow, that was one well dressed away crowd. The Derby lads were game but looked so scruffy. Chelsea was just a sea of pringle jumpers, Fila track suit tops etc. It was a fashion parade and as dumb as it sounds it felt great to be a part of.

Great topic Ersk, it's seems to me that the fashions I grew up with have all merge into one these days, and to be honest I'm as guilty as the rest of them.

Late 70's I can remember the mod revival with Quadrephina film etc, and there was the two tone, I can remember around about 1980/1at a school disco I would of only been 11/12 there were the mods on one side of the room and the rude boys on the other (me included), green flight jackets, doc Martin's and Fred Perry's as well being the order of the day with some, o and yes the birds all had paint on there faces, Adam Ant all that (now they were sh*t). 82/83 came along and the casuals appeared and to be honest swept across our secondary school, there was the odd mod but seemed from  the stone age, as did skin heads and rude boys ( dress like them and pulling birds was near on impossible), as been mentioned didn't see any one in full Sergio, fila or Ellesse tracksuit, a track top with Lois cords split at the bottom looked the dogs, puma G Vilas were the first trainers then upgrades were Diadora, followed by Reebok running trainers. Use to love a Pringle or Lyle and Scott lambswool as well, had upteen all in different colours and patterns, and as mentioned above, down our way come mid 86 the labels faded out.

Now a days going to the bridge it's a bit mix and match but these brands have become retro, I might wear a nice retro fila tracksuit top if feeling nostalgic, or a fila or Sergio tachini polo ( non of this sports direct bollox either) or Fred Perry jumper, can't seem to get Pringle  with lion and Pringle below these days as I would be all over them. One thing I do like about going to Chelsea is on the whole our fanbase is quite fashion conscious and the fans that wear colours and look as if they have just been to the club shop are less and less (I sit here typing this in my garden in a retro 86 shirt!) But the garden is where it will stay.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Swan said:

When I left school, I did a YTS.

I used to blow my money on a pringle jumper, or Lois jeans or Farah slacks and be skint for the rest of the week.

I was so proud with my white Nike Wimbledon trainers.

Dressing up for football was so important. You had to look the part.

The casual movement was one of the greatest sub-cultures ever in the UK and it went unnoticed by the media for several years. They never understood it and even now the release of retro hooligan films rarely get it right.

The closest was Alan Clarke’s The Firm with Gary Oldman, even here there were some silly bits but by far the best.

Stuarts on the Uxbridge Road was where it was at for many years in the 80s and I also used to go to a shop down in Bermondsey.

That time at Derby in the 80s when we broke the seats – wow, that was one well dressed away crowd. The Derby lads were game but looked so scruffy. Chelsea was just a sea of pringle jumpers, Fila track suit tops etc. It was a fashion parade and as dumb as it sounds it felt great to be a part of.

Great post. I never went to Stuart’s for some reason. Sharps Sports in Kensington High St used to have a buzzer to get let in. There was a shop called the Red Baron I think on the Walworth Road which was the first place on this country to sell Kappa apparantly, and a couple of places on Roman Road.

Various golf shops did well- one in South Croydon used to do zig zag Pringles- me mate and me brother brother both got the same jumper from there which pissed each other off. First time I got a moped ( Fizzy) and freedom to get around, went straight to Troubadour in Sutton and bought a gabicci ( Gabicci and Farahs were more night wear and don’t remember them being worn at Chelsea)

Agree with the cup game at Derby. As a rule from best dressed lads were firm who sat in the seats.

Edit: by firm, not all of them were up for a row. For many Is was just a laugh and fashion 

Edited by Ewell CFC

3 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

Great post. I never went to Stuart’s for some reason. Sharps Sports in Kensington High St used to have a buzzer to get let in. There was a shop called the Red Baron I think on the Walworth Road which was the first place on this country to sell Kappa apparantly, and a couple of places on Roman Road.

Various golf shops did well- one in South Croydon used to do zig zag Pringles- me mate and me brother brother both got the same jumper from there which pissed each other off. First time I got a moped ( Fizzy) and freedom to get around, went straight to Troubadour in Sutton and bought a gabicci ( Gabicci and Farahs were more night wear and don’t remember them being worn at Chelsea)

Agree with the cup game at Derby. As a rule from best dressed lads were firm who sat in the seats.

Spot on about the seats. In pre-all-seater stadiums 'casual' lads sat in the seats. Was the same at the Bridge, people stopped going in the Shed and went in the seats. Also spot on about golf shops. They made so much money from people who were not playing golf. You are right about the Farah slacks, more nothern soul than London but a few Chelsea wore them and at the time I thought they, along with a V Neck diamoned pringle with a lacoste roll neck and a stylish pair of diadora trainers looked as cool as f***. Chelsea were a well dressed firm, and I  thought the hype about the scousers being the first casuals was overstated. I got an early Kappa track suit top too and was chuffed. Being dressed up though could get you in trouble. You became a target for other fans when you were on your own and strangely if crossing through some inner city areas the local urchins could take offence at a guy walking through looking flash.

20 hours ago, chi blue said:

Great topic Ersk, it's seems to me that the fashions I grew up with have all merge into one these days, and to be honest I'm as guilty as the rest of them.

Late 70's I can remember the mod revival with Quadrephina film etc, and there was the two tone, I can remember around about 1980/1at a school disco I would of only been 11/12 there were the mods on one side of the room and the rude boys on the other (me included), green flight jackets, doc Martin's and Fred Perry's as well being the order of the day with some, o and yes the birds all had paint on there faces, Adam Ant all that (now they were sh*t). 82/83 came along and the casuals appeared and to be honest swept across our secondary school, there was the odd mod but seemed from  the stone age, as did skin heads and rude boys ( dress like them and pulling birds was near on impossible), as been mentioned didn't see any one in full Sergio, fila or Ellesse tracksuit, a track top with Lois cords split at the bottom looked the dogs, puma G Vilas were the first trainers then upgrades were Diadora, followed by Reebok running trainers. Use to love a Pringle or Lyle and Scott lambswool as well, had upteen all in different colours and patterns, and as mentioned above, down our way come mid 86 the labels faded out.

Now a days going to the bridge it's a bit mix and match but these brands have become retro, I might wear a nice retro fila tracksuit top if feeling nostalgic, or a fila or Sergio tachini polo ( non of this sports direct bollox either) or Fred Perry jumper, can't seem to get Pringle  with lion and Pringle below these days as I would be all over them. One thing I do like about going to Chelsea is on the whole our fanbase is quite fashion conscious and the fans that wear colours and look as if they have just been to the club shop are less and less (I sit here typing this in my garden in a retro 86 shirt!) But the garden is where it will stay.

I'm sure Pringle hit hard times financially in the early 2000s and had to restructure itself.

I've got a feeling that they don't use the Lion with Pringle below, as a trademark logo on their jerseys.

I may be 100% wrong, of course.:biggrin:

I don't remember Fred Perry clothing being an expensive brand back then. Again, I may be 100% wrong..:biggrin:

2 hours ago, erskblue said:

I'm sure Pringle hit hard times financially in the early 2000s and had to restructure itself.

I've got a feeling that they don't use the Lion with Pringle below, as a trademark logo on their jerseys.

I may be 100% wrong, of course.:biggrin:

I don't remember Fred Perry clothing being an expensive brand back then. Again, I may be 100% wrong..:biggrin:

When the casual look came in, Fred Perry became unfashionable and wasn't a casual brand, it was more skin head/mod brand, now a days it's become fashionable and fairly expensive too, and has seemed especially with the youngsters become a casual brand, no complaints here though, as it is a classic British label now.

Someone at Pringle must be missing a trick, imagine they released those classic Pringle jumpers again, their sales would go through the roof, I know few gentleman of a certain vintage on here who be first in the que!!!

2 hours ago, erskblue said:

Image result for adidas lendl polo shirtImage result for adidas lendl polo shirt

You've made the decision for me Ersk next week. I am wearing one of my retro Sergio Tachini track tops to Sheff Utd at home. If anyone sees an old git in a Sergio track top in the Matthew Harding lower next week still thinking it's 1984 it's me!! 

For me there was a golf shop Shirley/ West Wickham. Full of people who didn’t play golf!!   1983 they charged 30£ plain jumper 45£ pattern jumper. I think roll necks and polos were 20£. Glad I not only had a paper round but worked in the shop as well. Clothes were a lot of money back then.  Kid from my school was out in Penge 1983 wearing a navy blue valour tacchini track suit and was politely asked to remove the whole thing!! Apparently worth over a ton at the time, was the only time I heard of a “taxing” of a tracksuit.