The clothing we wore to the football back then.

erskblue

38 minutes ago, Richard P said:

For me there was a golf shop Shirley/ West Wickham. Full of people who didn’t play golf!!   1983 they charged 30£ plain jumper 45£ pattern jumper. I think roll necks and polos were 20£. Glad I not only had a paper round but worked in the shop as well. Clothes were a lot of money back then.  Kid from my school was out in Penge 1983 wearing a navy blue valour tacchini track suit and was politely asked to remove the whole thing!! Apparently worth over a ton at the time, was the only time I heard of a “taxing” of a tracksuit.

I know the shop and re the Penge thing is that a polite way of saying he was mugged?

9 hours ago, coco said:

Haha great thread, took me back and got me thinking what i was wearing for my first Chelsea game, i was just 16 fresh out of school...

Image result for patrick jacket 80s

Image result for yellow chelsea shirt 84

Image result for jeans 80s casuals

Image result for casuals  patrick trainers 80s  white

Patrick rain jackets, remember in the match day programme 83/84 there was goal action from our boxing day game v Pompey 2-2 I  and in the back ground are the benches and everybody seems to have Patrick or adidas rain jackets on.

13 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Patrick rain jackets, remember in the match day programme 83/84 there was goal action from our boxing day game v Pompey 2-2 I  and in the back ground are the benches and everybody seems to have Patrick or adidas rain jackets on.

Never had one but agree, I sat on the benches opposite gate 13 for the whole 83/84 season and they were everywhere.

21 hours ago, chi blue said:

When the casual look came in, Fred Perry became unfashionable and wasn't a casual brand, it was more skin head/mod brand, now a days it's become fashionable and fairly expensive too, and has seemed especially with the youngsters become a casual brand, no complaints here though, as it is a classic British label now.

Someone at Pringle must be missing a trick, imagine they released those classic Pringle jumpers again, their sales would go through the roof, I know few gentleman of a certain vintage on here who be first in the que!!!

Agreed re both Fred Perry and Pringle.

16 hours ago, Richard P said:

For me there was a golf shop Shirley/ West Wickham. Full of people who didn’t play golf!!   1983 they charged 30£ plain jumper 45£ pattern jumper. I think roll necks and polos were 20£. Glad I not only had a paper round but worked in the shop as well. Clothes were a lot of money back then.  Kid from my school was out in Penge 1983 wearing a navy blue valour tacchini track suit and was politely asked to remove the whole thing!! Apparently worth over a ton at the time, was the only time I heard of a “taxing” of a tracksuit.

We were driving home in the small hours from Busby’s on the Tottenham Court Road around this time- had been to a late night Kentucky- for some reason a mate decided to chuck a party bucket full of bones out the window at a geyser in full Tachini tracksuit- point blank range at traffic lights.

Never quite worked that one out but bet the bloke was pretty peeved with fat stains over his prize clobber

Leeds away 83 their fans behind the goal I never seen so many Patrick jackets. I never owned one to be honest I think they were a bit bargain bin the sort of thing someone who wanted to be a casual but wouldn't pay for the best gear. Temples in Church Street just off the Edgware Rd sold a lot of the top end and some stuff that wouldn't have looked out of place in C&A labels like Leo Gemelli I think they were called.

Every casual had to have a pair of Farah's you couldn't get into nightclubs otherwise but the problem was casuals dressed for the terraces and pubs. So after you spent big money on trainers you had to buy yourself some shoes and usually of the sensible variety desert boots not accepted in clubs either. So it was weird  you'd dress up for football and down for a night out.

Edited by bluehaze

2 hours ago, bluehaze said:

Leeds away 83 their fans behind the goal I never seen so many Patrick jackets. I never owned one to be honest I think they were a bit bargain bin the sort of thing someone who wanted to be a casual but wouldn't pay for the best gear. Temples in Church Street just off the Edgware Rd sold a lot of the top end and some stuff that wouldn't have looked out of place in C&A labels like Leo Gemelli I think they were called.

Every casual had to have a pair of Farah's you couldn't get into nightclubs otherwise but the problem was casuals dressed for the terraces and pubs. So after you spent big money on trainers you had to buy yourself some shoes and usually of the sensible variety desert boots not accepted in clubs either. So it was weird  you'd dress up for football and down for a night out.

Always keep a pair of patent black shoes in the boot.

This has been a nostalgic read that took me back a few years. The Casual period for me was a natural transition from Two Tone and the like. I had just joined the Army and lads from Middlesboro and Manchester were wearing gear I was yet to see. This coincided with my first Chelsea games home and away in '83 and I loved it. Serving in Germany meant I could pick up some nice stuff from Sports shops. Loved Kappa and Tachini. Fiorucci & Hardcore jeans and a pair of dungarees of all things. Benetton. Lemon from a shop in London called Woodhouse I think.  I remember going up to the Toon for an away game and they were basically still in "double denim". Most of them still are!

Good times and I can't burst that clothes bubble even now.

17 hours ago, Simon Haycock said:

This has been a nostalgic read that took me back a few years. The Casual period for me was a natural transition from Two Tone and the like. I had just joined the Army and lads from Middlesboro and Manchester were wearing gear I was yet to see. This coincided with my first Chelsea games home and away in '83 and I loved it. Serving in Germany meant I could pick up some nice stuff from Sports shops. Loved Kappa and Tachini. Fiorucci & Hardcore jeans and a pair of dungarees of all things. Benetton. Lemon from a shop in London called Woodhouse I think.  I remember going up to the Toon for an away game and they were basically still in "double denim". Most of them still are!

Glad you've enjoyed the thread.

The list was endless ,fila,ellesse,lacoste,Peter storm,Pringle,Benetton,Lois,fu’s,ceruti 1881,Burberry,next,addias samba,new balance,Nike,addias shoes,leather jacket and I know I have missed untold.

Basically I would beg ,borrow,steal or buy to keep up with the Joneses with whatever ever item of clobber as I tried 

every trick / stunt in the book.i would pay £££’s for whatever item off the shelf ,to then sell said item sometime down the road

for £’ s which Would go to a new bit of clobber at £££’ s. For the life of me I wish that I had never sold on a few of my prized items even thou I could not get into them today due to timber factor.

that reminds me did I mention timberland,kickers,hardcore,crew neck jumpers .

saying all the above and it was a massive part of my life back then which brought my police record  round my neck as that came with the cloth ,it really worry’s me when I see lads of yesterday who are dads today dressing their kids in the latest FV clobber I just don’t get it 

great thread by the way 

On 27/08/2019 at 14:00, Simon Haycock said:

Woodhouse was a great shop. Talking of the services, there were many lads stationed at Knightsbridge and Chelsea Barracks that used to get down the Bridge.

53 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

Woodhouse was a great shop. Talking of the services, there were many lads stationed at Knightsbridge and Chelsea Barracks that used to get down the Bridge.

They're Westbourne Park shop is still open. They used to have a shop in Soho I used to go in there a lot.

On 25/08/2019 at 22:22, chi blue said:

I had a Patrick wind sheeter and for a while they were a noticeable sign of casual attire.

On 27/08/2019 at 14:00, Simon Haycock said:

Great first post mate, up the Chels.