Chelsea v Newcastle (PL) Mon 15th Feb 2021 20:00 GMT

39 minutes ago, TheGreatestGame said:

Tuchel.ball is not enjoyable to watch. Sure, Chelsea is undefeated since he was brought in, however they haven't played a decent team during this run. The team seems to play just well enough to win. 

I don't understand why Alonso continues to get playing time. He is not doing much on offense and he is very weak defensively. There is no speed, ability to beat a player off the dribble or make a decent pass. Many times he was playing deeper than Werner in the opponents end. 

Chelsea's offense is disorganized at best. They haven't been able to create solid scoring chances against the likes of Newcastle, Burnley, Barnsley, Spurs, etc. 

I guess we will see how good Tuchel and Chelsea is after the Southhampton game. The three games after that are Athletico Madrid, VarUnited and Everton. 

Idk if you are troll or not watching, but others pointed it out too that we look not enjoyable which i don´t understand at all. How can you not like what we saw in the first half yesterday? We look much sharper. As for Alonso you do realise how he created space for Werner to run down the channel and cross and therefore a goal? Thats clearly an instruction from Tuchel which i like. We have Alonso who goes more inside and troubles defenders there and we have CHO for the more traditional approach in a attacking sense.

Anyone else worried about Tammy? He looked like he was in 

3 hours ago, TheGreatestGame said:

Tuchel.ball is not enjoyable to watch. Sure, Chelsea is undefeated since he was brought in, however they haven't played a decent team during this run. The team seems to play just well enough to win. 

I don't understand why Alonso continues to get playing time. He is not doing much on offense and he is very weak defensively. There is no speed, ability to beat a player off the dribble or make a decent pass. Many times he was playing deeper than Werner in the opponents end. 

Chelsea's offense is disorganized at best. They haven't been able to create solid scoring chances against the likes of Newcastle, Burnley, Barnsley, Spurs, etc. 

I guess we will see how good Tuchel and Chelsea is after the Southhampton game. The three games after that are Athletico Madrid, VarUnited and Everton. 

We’re far more enjoyable to watch when we’re winning, regardless of how we play. 

I had my doubts about Tuchel but it’s been a marked improvement from Frank’s tenure. Players who we needed to perform are now performing consistently. Our defensive problems are all but solved. The team looks invigorated and passionate. 

I don’t see how any Chelsea fan looks at our performances and thinks “I’m not enjoying this”. 

21 hours ago, andy said:

I was about to post the same 

we have played Wolves, Burnley, Spuds, Shef utd, Barnsley and Newcastle... I think Frank would have done okay against that lot. 

We got Southampton at the weekend, hopefully we will win that. Then Athletico and then Utd at home.  I think those could be the defining matches on how he is going to pan out.  

And maybe not. We were dropping points and places like a hot potato. We will never know for sure but what I know for sure is that the organisational structure is there, the tactical plan is there, the direction from the management team is obvious, no doubt you can see on match day what has been carried over from the training ground. Well at least I can. 

Under FL to be honest it was really hard to discern the above, if at all we could see it. Always felt like you knew what Lampard was trying to achieve from what he said and talked about but on the occasion where it was happening on the pitch, it seemed by chance rather than a delivery of the match day whiteboard pieces. 

7 hours ago, TheGreatestGame said:

I agree, Alonso is a painful example of a professional footballer. Incompetent defensively and painfully slow. People say that he plays the wingback position well, provides width and keeps the shape.

That's all very well but his lack of pace completely nullifies the good positions he receives the ball in, he cant go on the outside because he's too slow so unless he receives the ball in acres of space for him to exploit, his only option is to go square or backwards.

There's absolutely no chance that he's a better option than either Chilwell or Emerson and the sooner TT sees that the better.

We should have put Newcastle to the Sword last night, instead we looked satisfied with an average first half performance and a 2-0 victory. Too many players looked disinterested second half and TT could'nt possibly have been satisfied with what he was witnessing.

8 hours ago, TheGreatestGame said:

Ridiculous   I am enjoying watching the team both the performances and the result. I like watching kova go to work, cho growing into the team, Werner giving his all and mostly the team functioning as a team. Some of the prior performances were fantastic but often it was very frustrating  because there was less purpose. And so lots of aimless pushing up the wings and then getting caught on the break or sterile midfield doodling. 

1 hour ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

I agree, Alonso is a painful example of a professional footballer. Incompetent defensively and painfully slow. People say that he plays the wingback position well, provides width and keeps the shape.

That's all very well but his lack of pace completely nullifies the good positions he receives the ball in, he cant go on the outside because he's too slow so unless he receives the ball in acres of space for him to exploit, his only option is to go square or backwards.

There's absolutely no chance that he's a better option than either Chilwell or Emerson and the sooner TT sees that the better.

We should have put Newcastle to the Sword last night, instead we looked satisfied with an average first half performance and a 2-0 victory. Too many players looked disinterested second half and TT could'nt possibly have been satisfied with what he was witnessing.

I actually think we are more balanced with Alonso as a wide back than Chilwell or Emerson.

I know running back defensively is a weakness yet with three CBs is less of a risk and from set pieces he is more useful.

In other areas he closes down the man on the ball in his zone and battles for the ball and seems to get away with the odd professional foul just like Cavalho used to.

Offensively we know he is good and puts crosses in yet also drifts in with a view to score and we certainly need goal scorers just now.

Defensively he gives away less freekicks than James on the other wing.

• coco locked this topic
  • coco unlocked this topic