Torres to L*verpool

Tim

So, with this deal looking increasingly likely, what do we all think about it?

Personally, I'm in two minds.

On the one hand, any of the big 4 buying a 'name' and a young one at that, makes me worry slightly, as I always make the assumption that they will be a success and thus close the gap on us. (which I am fully aware often isn't the case.)

On the other hand, this is looking like costing over 25 million quid for a striker who has never really been prolific and may well not be suited to the Prem. There are others out there, Eto' for example, who if bought by a rival would worry me a hell of a lot more.

Are the good folk of the CSR more in Camp A or Camp B? (and no, B doesn't stand for Brian icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif )

It's alot of money for Liverpool to spend.

I dont think Torres will become accustomed to the Premiership for about 2 seasons, but by then, he will still only be 25?

A good buy if not only for his age, but my feeling is that he will not necessarily hit the ground running.

I think he will have a rather bad first season. Much like Sheva. In the next he will have gotten more comfortable with the british style and play a bit better. I don't really see him as a 25 goals a season kind of player though.

If I were Liverpool I would spend the money on someone big and strong instead. Someone like Drogba.

you know I rate him- for a side who have consistantly underpeformed his record of almost a goal every other game isn't bad, and he does have a knack of scoring past sides like barca.

not world class, but could get there.a massive improvement over bellamy... but on the bright side it could take a season to adapt for him.

If the deal happens then, at least on paper (on the premise of Eto not being available) it's a smart buy: roughly the same as when they bought Morientes. However, I'm of the view that Torres would adapt much better than Morientes & I hope the deal doesn't take place for obvious reasons.

The more one looks at this and reading between the lines of what has been said by Atletico it looks very clear that they want Torres to agree to the transfer & for as much money as they can squeeze out of the pool.

I think its probably going to happen.

If so, let's hope he's a flop & bench warming by January.

Well Athletico are determined to screw the last ounce of cash out of the transfer so Liverpool will have to cough up big bucks to get him.

I have never seen him play, some say he is overrated and will not adapt that well to our league. Fingers crossed he takes a while to settle in - like a few years!

I must admit I thought Liverpool would go for some Drogba style player - big, bulky and physical - Benitez and Mourinho are very similar in their football philosophies as we keep being reminded by the press day in and day out.

Way overpriced in my view but they supposedly have the cash now to spend and need a striker and he seems to be the one they will get.

He`s young and talented player, much younger than Sheva, so it would be easier to adapt for him.

They got new owners so money isn`t a problem for this season. And it`s difficult to disagree with g4

that, of course, he`s better than Bellamy.

And my first thought:

More great players, more bloody rivarly, more interesting to watch.

I too Rate Torres, and often touted him as being a possible signing for us. He hasn't exactly lived up to all his hype, but few do. It still doesn't disguise the fact that he is a talented scorer, and a great footballer. Any team but Liverpool, for now I hate him unequivocally

Scott

Good business for Athletico all round I reckon if they can now get Garcia back for say $2-3 million. Benitez will be sweating like crazy on Torres coming good in the EPL quickly, because as you say ICG22, its his big signing. Surely the poo(l) aren't still in for Tevez now.

I think it is a fabulous move, although I mean that as a Chelsea fan!

Liverpool were short of quality up front and short of quality on the flanks - if they bring in Torres and let Garcia go in the other direction they will still be short of quality up front and even shorter of quality on the flank. And they will be massively out of pocket.

I wonder if rafa.gif has picked up this saying during his time in England

1121559261UD529C.jpg

Loz

Is it "sure as eggs" (that Torres fails/Garcia is missed) ? or

He's "put all his eggs in one basket" (now lacks width/Torres fails) ?

or..........

anyway, let's hope you're right on Torres. I think they'll rue the day they let Garcia go.

All eggs in one basket in that (assuming the rumours about his transfer kitty are true) he appears to be blowing the vast majority of the cash available to him on one player whilst also losijg a player as part of the deal.

Torres is still a an overpriced player, however, he will undoubtly add a touch of flair to Liverpool's forward line.

Can't be worse then Bellamy, Crouch and Fowler, and while Kuyt is a decent striker he's not especially gifted in the technicall department.

I'm all for everyone having great players and squads. Adds an extra dimension to the increasing quality of the PL and brings a greater merit to the winners.

All eggs in one basket in that (assuming the rumours about his transfer kitty are true) he appears to be blowing the vast majority of the cash available to him on one player whilst also losijg a player as part of the deal.

God I hope so.

I can't be as charitable as some and think that Torres will add to the quality of the premiership by being fantastic. Me? I'd rather he was an utter flop and tubby had to dig into his pockets again to get himself another striker come next year and not from Spain where he seems to get just about everyone.

I agree that Torres will certainly add something to Liverpool flair wise upfront - it can't be any worse.

Archived