Chelsea v Schalke 04

fotkaqd1.jpg vs schalke.jpg

i think schalke will get a point at chelsea and therefore i reckon it ends up being 2:2 by full time.still a schalke win would be sound but i dont think they do it somehow but i guess we will see whats happening on matchday

To some extent Chelsea's performance, and thus potentially the result, will be determined by what happens in this international break. Fingers crossed all our players come back with a clean bill of health and we put in good performance away at Middlesbrough to keep the spirits high.

For me this international break has come along at a bad time. After the turmoil with Jose leaving the result and performance against Valencia and the result (more than the performance) against Bolton saw us starting to move on. I would have preferred the opportunity for that momentum to be maintained rather this break stunting it.

If JT and Carvalho are both fit and Maka plays I don't think Schalke have the quality to score two goals at the Bridge (barring glaring errors).

Chelsea are clearly a better team and squad but I acknowledge that Schalke could cause us problems if we are below par.

I was impressed by Jones' performance against Rosenborg. How has he been performing in general this season? And please tell eme Lovenkrands is not getting a regular game.

Double injury blow for Schalke

FC Schalke 04's Georgian international midfielder Levan Kobiashvili could miss three UEFA Champions League fixtures after tearing a stomach muscle during training.

No surgery

The 30-year-old faces around eight weeks out, but no surgery, meaning he will miss the Group B double-header against Chelsea FC and possibly the trip to Valencia CF on 28 November. Defender Gustavo Varela will join Kobiashvili on the sidelines for four weeks due a thigh injury, and will therefore sit out both games against the Londoners. Schalke are second in the section after following up their opening 1-0 loss to Valencia with a 2-0 win at Rosenborg BK.

source:www.uefa.com

Chelsea look to steal a march

With Chelsea FC and FC Schalke 04 having secured their first victories of the campaign on Matchday 2, a keen contest is expected at Stamford Bridge in a group where just a point separates the leading three sides.

? After starting with a disappointing home draw against Rosenborg BK, and all the ramifications and uncertainty that followed the departure of manager Jos? Mourinho, Chelsea were badly in need of the boost that came with their 2-1 away win at Valencia CF, courtesy of an Emiliano Moretti own goal and Didier Drogba's strike. Schalke had begun with a 1-0 home defeat by the Spanish team before showing improved form with a 2-0 win in Trondheim.

? The Rosenborg draw was a surprise because Chelsea have a formidable home record in the competition and in their previous nine group stage games had dropped only four points. However, it did follow a pattern of visitors taking the lead at Stamford Bridge, this being the third time in the last four UEFA Champions League home fixtures, although on each occasion Chelsea have hit back to earn at least a draw.

? Chelsea and Schalke have never met in European competition but for the London club, facing German opponents is almost a regular occurrence in a UEFA Champions League season. It is the fourth time in the last five campaigns that it has happened and the second successive year they have contested a group stage fixture with a club from that country.

? The last four fixtures between teams from the Bundesliga and Chelsea have followed a similar pattern, with the home side coming out on top each time. But Chelsea will feel confident going into this double-header with Schalke (the teams meet again at the Arena AufSchalke on Matchday 4) because looking at the encounters on a home-and-away basis, they have had the better overall results.

? In 2004/05 FC Bayern M?nchen were their quarter-final opponents in a high-scoring affair. Chelsea won 4-2 at home in a game which saw Michael Ballack score against his present club from the penalty spot. Bayern got a measure of revenge in the return with a 3-2 win in which Claudio Pizarro, who joined Ballack at Stamford Bridge, scored their third.

? Twelve months ago Werder Bremen were their opponents in Group A, Chelsea winning the home game 2-0 ? Ballack and Michael Essien were on the scoresheet ? with Bremen gaining the upper hand in the return 1-0.

? Their first ever meeting with a German team in Europe came in the 1997/98 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup final when Gianfranco Zola's goal in Stockholm was enough to defeat VfB Stuttgart and give Chelsea the trophy for a second time.

? Schalke, who are hoping to improve on their two previous group finishes of fourth and third, will be in a better frame of mind for the trip to London after their win in Norway. Second-half strikes from Jermaine Jones and Kevin Kuranyi gave them all three points.

? They have played three games in England in UEFA club competition, losing twice and drawing 2-2 away to Wolverhampton Wanderers FC in the 1958/59 European Champion Clubs' Cup first round. They lost 5-1 at Maine Road in the 1969/70 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup semi-finals against Manchester City FC and 3-2 away to Arsenal FC in the 2001/02 UEFA Champions League first group stage. Against all three opponents, Schalke won the home games.

source http://www.uefa.com

I was impressed by Jones' performance against Rosenborg. How has he been performing in general this season? And please tell eme Lovenkrands is not getting a regular game.

jones did well sofar this season and yeah lovenkrands seems to be a regular feature this season.but anyway at the moment schalke has quiet a lot injured players like levan kobiashvili, gustavo varela,mesut oezil,peter lovenkrands,mladen krstajic,halil altintop,christian pander and mathias abel.still i am confident schalke offers a decent line up and probably give chelsea a run for their money.it will be quiet interesting to watch that game i think even though schalke have a bad record for playing in england against english teams

they have played three games in england in uefa club competition, losing twice and drawing 2-2 away to wolverhampton wanderers in the 1958/59 european champion clubs' cup first round. they lost 5-1 at maine road in the 1969/70 uefa cup winners' cup semi-finals against manchester city and 3-2 away to arsenal in the 2001/02 uefa champions league first group stage.But against all three opponents, schalke won the home games.they also played once in the uefa cup 2004 against hearts in edinburgh and beat them 1:0 at murryfield

Guest S04-fan

Unfortunately Peter Lovernkrands was injured for long time last season. Before, he was a very important player, especially at away-matches for fast S04-counterattacks, that were very successful until he was injured.

When he came to Schalke it also took him some time to get accustomed to the way things go at Schalke. For example the fan culture was disorientating for him. It took him time to settle in to the Schalke way of life.

If you are interested to read more about Schalke (last season qualifying for the Champions League/lost championship, about club and fan identity, Lovenkrands disorientating etc.), I may advise you to read this Guardian/Observer-article (in English):

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Sto ... 84,00.html

Any early thoughts on tomorrow night's game?

Be interesting to see if Bridge gets thrown back into the action or whethwe we play it safe and go with Paulo at left back. Paulo didn't look too secure against Boro so I am hoping to see Bridge return however I would prefer to see Paulo at right back ahead of Belletti but am sure that won't be the case.

Other than Bridge in for Paulo and maybe Maka in for Mikel we may well see the same team that started against Boro.

Any early thoughts on tomorrow night's game?

Be interesting to see if Bridge gets thrown back into the action or whethwe we play it safe and go with Paulo at left back. Paulo didn't look too secure against Boro so I am hoping to see Bridge return however I would prefer to see Paulo at right back ahead of Belletti but am sure that won't be the case.

Other than Bridge in for Paulo and maybe Maka in for Mikel we may well see the same team that started against Boro.

Paulo instead of Belletti? why?

Simply because I think he is the better full back, We never look as defensively secure without JT and as such I prefer the more defensievly capable Ferreira to the Belleti option which gives us more going forward but gets caught out of position too frequently. Lovenkrands is very pacey through the centre and can also break left if required and thus I think we would be vulnerable if, and when, Belletti gets caught out of position.

votepaulo.gif

My prediction is that we will win 3-1 or 2-0. Drogs and Sheva will score. Sheva is still good in CL games.

Shalke supporter, which players should we be aware/scared of? Goalscorers. Kevin Kuranyi plays for Shalke, right?

We had that match at Wembley lately. Chelsea 1 Schalke 2

Sorry it was England : Germany Lampard (Chelsea) 1 Kuranyi (Schalke)and Pander (Schalke)2

So pander is injured You got a chance then icon_lol.gif

My prediction is that we will win 3-1 or 2-0. Drogs and Sheva will score. Sheva is still good in CL games.

Shalke supporter, which players should we be aware/scared of? Goalscorers. Kevin Kuranyi plays for Shalke, right?

Sorry it was England : Germany Lampard (Chelsea) 1 Kuranyi (Schalke)and Pander (Schalke)2

But unlike England, Chelsea can play good football and they also has a competent keeper icon_wink.gif

I think Belletti has been pretty solid, with odd moments of attacking flair.

As a matter of fact, Paulo didn't look that bad going down the left himself against MBorough although still no left foot for cross. Bridge better than both and will have a big role to the play this season so we can't afford for him to get injured too soon.

Belleti, Riccy, Alex, Paulo (sub bridge)

JC , Mak (I though Essien looked like carrying injury), Mikel, Lampard

Kalou Drogs

icon_lol.gif Yes I watched that game. Lamps' goal was good. Robbo scored the second himself and Pander's shot was obviously out of Robbos reach(great shot by the way). England played Germany at Wembley but Tottenham lost it.

Kuranyi is always dangerous even more so us being without JT. Long shots are not the solution against Chelsea since, well we got Cech(and not Spurs' finest). Cornerkicks and freekicks are what I am afraid of, hope Schalke don't get too many.

I think that this will be the line-up:

-----------------Cech

Belletti - Carvalho - Alex - Ferreira

----------------Mikel

J. Cole - Essien - Lampard - Malouda

---------------Drogba

The line-up I would like is:

-----------------Cech

Belletti - Carvalho - Alex - Bridge

---------Makalele

------------------Lampard

J. Cole---------------------Malouda

--------Shevchenko - Drogba

Chelsea wins 2:0

I think that this will be the line-up:

-----------------Cech

Belletti - Carvalho - Alex - Ferreira

----------------Mikel

J. Cole - Essien - Lampard - Malouda

---------------Drogba

The line-up I would like is:

-----------------Cech

Belletti - Carvalho - Alex - Bridge

---------Makalele

--------Shevchenko - Drogba

Chelsea wins 2:0

Think we'll go two up front for this game, pretty sure Sheva will start, it not Pizza or Kalou

likely see

------------------ Cech-------------

Belletti--Alex--- Carvalho--- Ferreira

Essien------Makelele------ Lampard

Cole----------Drogba------ Malouda.

if Essien is availlable

I would like to see

-----------------Cech--------------

Belletti - Carvalho - Alex - Paulo

---------Mickel--------------

-----Shevchenko -- Drogba-----

Carlo, Maka, Kalou,Ben Haim, Pizza,Sidwell

assuming Essien and Bridge are not availlable,

hoping for a 2-0 as long as we dont let them have too many set pieces. (goals from Lampard and Sheva)

Archived